Author Topic: FBI Hacker Alert  (Read 1334 times)

charlesoakwood

FBI Hacker Alert
« on: April 22, 2012, 11:16:42 AM »

The article says hackers set up a phony website that offered to disinfect your PC but actually hacked it.  The FBI has set up a web site for you to log on to and they will check out your computer and clean it for free. 

Infected PCs may lose Internet in July
By LOLITA C. BALDOR, Associated Press

In a highly unusual response, the FBI set up a safety net months ago using government computers to prevent Internet disruptions for those infected users. But that system is to be shut down.

The FBI is encouraging users to visit a website run by its security partner, http://www.dcwg.org, that will inform them whether they're infected and explain how to fix the problem. After July 9, infected users won't be able to connect to the Internet.

So, the FBI is now competetion with the likes of AVG and Norton?
Guess we should take the word 'free' out of the term 'free enterprise'.
And USA Today runs this article as if it were business as usual. 
This is the country we live in now.

"This is the future of what we will be doing," said Eric Strom, a unit chief in the FBI's Cyber Division. "Until there is a change in legal system, both inside and outside the United States, to get up to speed with the cyber problem, we will have to go down these paths, trail-blazing if you will, on these types of investigations."

Offline BMG

• Established Member
Re: FBI Hacker Alert
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 11:42:04 AM »
Given the state of 'Big Brother' these days I would be E-X-T-R-E-M-L-Y wary of using this 'service'.

I could see the FBI later saying that everyone that took advantage of their 'service' were giving consent to search their computer files while they were 'checking' it for virus'. In other words a backdoor way of searching people's computers en-mass. Maybe even leaving a little 'something' behind to monitor what the users are doing after the computer has been checked.

Yeah - call me paranoid, but I'll have to pass on their offer I think. It's pretty bad when I find myself in a position where I have to question the intentions of my government. :o
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 12:19:03 PM »
Given the state of 'Big Brother' these days I would be E-X-T-R-E-M-L-Y wary of using this 'service'.

I could see the FBI later saying that everyone that took advantage of their 'service' were giving consent to search their computer files while they were 'checking' it for virus'. In other words a backdoor way of searching people's computers en-mass. Maybe even leaving a little 'something' behind to monitor what the users are doing after the computer has been checked.

Yeah - call me paranoid, but I'll have to pass on their offer I think. It's pretty bad when I find myself in a position where I have to question the intentions of my government. :o

Oh hell, BMG; that's the FIRST thing I thought of.  Yer not paranoid if they ARE out to get ya.

I trust "them" -- "we fum teh gummint and we heah to he'p yew" -- exactly none, added to the fact, as CO wrote, there are free-market free solutions available, so what the hell makes the gummint experts so convinced only they can do the job?  Yeah, ne'e'mind; rhetorical.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 12:53:04 PM »
Well, in the spirit of full disclosure - I probably am a little paranoid.  ::angel::

So go ahead, call me paranoid, it won't hurt my feelings...

...it'll just reinforce my preconceived notion that everyone really is out to get me!!  ::danceban::

Heheh...
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 01:48:27 PM »
This is the country we live in, for now.

;)
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 02:19:41 PM »
It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you