Author Topic: If we make it to 2030...  (Read 1234 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
If we make it to 2030...
« on: April 30, 2012, 07:52:57 AM »
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/guest-post-2030-world-five-graphs

I'd say Obama is advancing the timetable considerably on some of these points...

::facepalm::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Re: If we make it to 2030...
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 10:28:39 AM »
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/guest-post-2030-world-five-graphs

I'd say Obama is advancing the timetable considerably on some of these points...

::facepalm::

Yeah, I don't think we make it to 2030 .  At this point I wouldn't even bet on 2020. 
I place it at 60% during the next administration, and 40% in the one after.  ( You will note that I don't think the chances are different based on who is elected)

Still wishing for the Crystal Ball.  I want to know how bad, bad gets so I know if there is any point to staying in town.

As real estate continues to plummet you start seeing more things like this turn up.. makes me wish I had waited a while longer.  But then again, second guessing is easy. At the time I was sure we were on a much shorter timescale.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 10:38:40 AM »
A water source would be nice, but how long it remains contamination free depesends on what happens upstream.

Yeah, if I give odds, a change from Stymie would add a little time back from hitting the abyss, but quantifying it at this point is pointless.  Romney could be better than expected in some respects but he could also be worse than expectedin others, so a push is a push and that may be the best case scenario, and status quo prolongs things, doesn't resolve anything.

A massive sustained rollback of all the stupidity is in order, and it must be sustained decades.  Frankly, I don't think we're made of such tough stuff anymore.  The ones that are (like many of us) are making our own plans.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 10:48:40 AM »
Words to live by:

"Hope for the best but plan for the worst."

@Weisshaupt:

There's no point in second guessing once you've started getting your plans underway. Forge ahead and get it done. If the worst doesn't happen you haven't really lost anything. But if it does, you're prepared and will minimize the loss.

You've got your fall back plan in case everything goes to hell in a hand basket so you're covered there. Your second 'civilized' property is what you seem to be agonizing over. If I were in your shoes I'd go with the least urban possible option until it comes time to head to the sticks! Of course I've never liked city life anyway and have always gravitated toward more remote areas whenever possible so I guess my advice is biased.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 10:52:03 AM »
A water source would be nice, but how long it remains contamination free depesends on what happens upstream.

Keep in mind that I'm working with what I've got where I live at the moment. I've got a house with it's own well. So my plan is to add a deep well hand pump to my well so I'll have ready access to ground water if/when the grid fails.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 10:56:34 AM »
Keep in mind that I'm working with what I've got where I live at the moment. I've got a house with it's own well. So my plan is to add a deep well hand pump to my well so I'll have ready access to ground water if/when the grid fails.

Yeah well that is sort of the point of a place like that. I say there is maybe 10-15 miles of "upstream" from there on High Creek, and the property has a 10 Gal/min well in addition, and the rights to bore more if required. Plus its already off grid and wind/solar/propane powered, and its built like a compound.  I just don't want to live in the wind again ( the west side of the house has a earth berm for this reason)

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 11:21:10 AM »
You've got your fall back plan in case everything goes to hell in a hand basket so you're covered there. Your second 'civilized' property is what you seem to be agonizing over. If I were in your shoes I'd go with the least urban possible option until it comes time to head to the sticks! Of course I've never liked city life anyway and have always gravitated toward more remote areas whenever possible so I guess my advice is biased.

Its the kids causing the agony.

MichelleO and I would gladly just take off and leave the city but city Life offers  classes, friends and other  resources  to my children they just can't get on a 100 acre property in the middle of no where, and I don't want to take those things away if I don't have to. Right now, we think we see the oncoming wave, but nothing all that dramatic has happened to us personally yet. I am still very gainfully employed,  and the understanding of the collapse just isn't mainstream yet - and probably won't be till they are forced to call a bank holiday.  Hell they still call it a recession instead of a depression.  And when it does hit, it hard to predict how bad it will get.  In Argentina, there was an increase in crime, but not really a big change mortality rates. You had roadblocks, and gang territories, but you were robbed and beaten, not killed. People did not really band together.. not even extended families ( can you get along with your relatives for a week  at Christmas?) A gunshot would scatter crowds, not cause firefights. Still, people go to work, and play and shopping.. Of course, in Argentina, the population had more knowledge of and ability to survive in that scenario, was not nearly as well armed, and didn't throw the entitlement spoiled brat temper tantrum I expect to see in this country. I think we can expect lawlessness to appear and go unchecked - encouraging more of the same. The police just won't come to some areas, and which areas those will be is hard to predict, nor will they be willing to engage whatever gang has control there. They will just file a report and leave. This is already happening in up-dollar Palm Desert outside of Palm Springs, and it will only get worse.  It will give the Fed an excuse to impose Martial law  - and then travel between my properties may become difficult or impossible - not to mention the possibility of criminal setting up  roadblocks on the way - the highway bandit will be back. 

For the last few years we have been prepping and I have just written off the current house as useless, and loosing the money in it was a shrug ( it was mostly borrowed and bubble money anyway) but if I get the AG land in town I suspect my attitude will change and I will care about what happens to the property.  I will want it back if I lose it somehow to squatters, etc as things recover. (of course I may have the same problem up at the Teotwaki place) and it becomes a prepping place as well, so a lot more of my effort/fiat may go into it, making me way less willing and more painful to abandon it when the time comes.  Of course- we have like minded (but unprepped) friends in town, who may, if things get bad, be willing to try and stay and defend the place as it offers a better chance of survival than their little suburban home.

As MichelleO said to me this morning - "We are spending money like its going out of style-- because it is" - but its still not clear to me where to best spend it. Its a good problem to have, and I am lucky to be blessed with such resources at this time, but I don't want to squander them.