Author Topic: Put on the Garments of Praise, for the Spirit of Heaviness  (Read 1453 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Put on the Garments of Praise, for the Spirit of Heaviness
« on: April 23, 2012, 12:18:34 PM »
We've had a vigorous discussion over the past weeks about the future, speculating about pathways forward and potential outcomes, and discussing our different hopes and visions. I am increasingly convinced that what my Christian faith teaches me is true - that in spite of my human desire to find a human answer - all hope rests in God alone. Man alone will not fix this. Therefore I believe we must look to Him for whatever hope His plan for us might offer. We need the bailout of all bailouts.

Question is, will we receive justice or mercy from on high? Those who know Him have already received the mercy of Christ and His eternal salvation. Our souls are His already. But here on earth, in this life, if we receive justice as a nation, then I fear we're already witnessing it unfold. If we receive mercy, it will be by His benevolent hand alone. Therefore I think all my angst is for naught. I need to remember to place it in the hands of God.

HT: Magnum for reminding me how the music of Robin Mark solidified for me the relationship between scripture-based worship music, and prayerfully entering into God's presence with ones spirit.

This song is just a simple prayer based on Isaiah 61:3. But it reveals a biblical truth for me - a promise made by this scripture: "Put on the garments of praise, for the spirit of heaviness." In other words, in praising Almighty God because He is God, you will experience a lifting of the spirit of heaviness. The "oil" of gladness will flow down from His throne. His joy is our strength.

Only He can make broken weary bones rise to dance again. Only He can wet this dry and thirsty land with a river. Fix your eyes upon Him, and wait for the blessings of His grace as you just praise Him for being your God.

If you have a "spirit of heaviness", I invite you to spend 7 1/2 minutes to watch this video and listen to this song. It takes faith to believe that merely offering praise to Jesus Christ can lift ones spirit. See if singing "Hallelujah" can help you trade your sorrows for garments of praise, if even for a moment. Sometimes a glimpse in a moment is enough.

GARMENTS OF PRAISE with lyrics by Robin Mark
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson