Author Topic: Food prices increase 3.9% in February, highest jump in 36 years  (Read 2155 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Guests, feel free to register & join the discussion!

HT: HotAir...

Food prices increase 3.9% in February, highest jump in 36 years

If grocery bills seem higher, you’re not imagining things.  Thanks mostly to a sharp increase in fuel prices, the cost of food rose faster in February than in any month since November 1974 — not coincidentally, during a previous energy crisis:[blockquote]Wholesale prices jumped last month by the most in nearly two years due to higher energy costs and the steepest rise in food prices in 36 years. Excluding those volatile categories, inflation was tame.

The Labor Department said Wednesday that the Producer Price Index rose a seasonally adjusted 1.6 percent in February — double the 0.8 percent rise in the previous month. Outside of food and energy costs, the core index ticked up 0.2 percent, less than January’s 0.5 percent rise.

Food prices soared 3.9 percent last month, the biggest gain since November 1974. Most of that increase was due to a sharp rise in vegetable costs, which increased nearly 50 percent. That was the most in almost a year. Meat and dairy products also rose.

Energy prices rose 3.3 percent last month, led by a 3.7 percent increase in gasoline costs.[/blockquote]Much more @ HotAir...

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
Re: Food prices increase 3.9% in February, highest jump in 36 years
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 05:48:02 AM »
In other words this increase is a comparative anomaly brought on by geopolitical factors .

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 08:51:10 AM »
Yet more evidence that fiat currency doesn't work. You'd think that the people would demand that we return to precious metal based currency but I then realize that the populous is 100% retarded in the extreme. ::bashing::

Since the down sizing of containers 15 years ago it was clear then that we were screwed. I point to Tricky Dickless Nixon for this fiasco which "let me perfectly clear", puts the whole mess on his shoulders. Wait, in second thought it was the progressives that thought they knew better than the framers for wrecking the constitution. ::puke::
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 08:20:48 PM »
Tricky Dick also gave us the EPA and Affirmative Action. The GOP's been knifing us in the back for quite some time now haven't they?
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 04:03:11 AM »
Tricky Dick also gave us the EPA and Affirmative Action. The GOP's been knifing us in the back for quite some time now haven't they?

I don't think Nixon ever envisioned EPA becoming such a rogue , out of control agency .

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 07:34:53 AM »
Unh hunh, the Republicans never do.  Bush 41 gave us the ADA -- SSDD.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 12:10:43 PM »

A very short list, agencies and bureaucracies that are worth keeping.