Author Topic: Fake or Real? The Viral Video of the Quad Rotor Machine Gun  (Read 2951 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Fake or Real? The Viral Video of the Quad Rotor Machine Gun
« on: April 25, 2012, 11:03:40 AM »
Three million plus views so far but I'm inclined to say that this is fake.

I don't see the thing working from a physics point of view. I have seen vids of quad rotors before and they are tiny...lightweight. I don't see this thing being able to lift itself. You have the weight of the aircraft, the battery, the gun, camera, ammunition and...if you totally buy what this guy is saying...enough onboard explosive to destroy itself with a fifteen foot blast radius. Plus it is enough explosive to destroy the car at the end of the video. Personally, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near something that can explode like that and this guy is handling it and standing right next to it as if it's nothing.

What about recoil? This thing shoots away and there seems to be little to no recoil or muzzle rise. What? is it supposed to be recoilless, too?

There is a lack of shadow being cast on the table at the beginning of the video...the car in the background is casting a very distinctive shadow but the quad doesn't, the stand doesn't and the "Russian" doesn't. Makes me think they aren't in the same place.

And he casually destroys the "prototype" at the end of the video as if it's nothing. Sure.

I am guessing that this vid is totally constructed out of whole cloth just like that fake flying suit video that was making the rounds a few weeks ago.

Oh, and I don't think this guy is Russian, either.

What do you think?

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Fake or Real? The Viral Video of the Quad Rotor Machine Gun
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 11:20:32 AM »
If it's not the regular "FPS Russia" guy on all the other videos, it's sure a good impersonator. But yeah, this doesn't seem real to me either.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 12:14:24 PM »

I posted this at IAL http://itsaboutliberty.com/index.php/topic,4453.msg61719.html#msg61719 a couple of days ago.  I assumed the Russian thing was false, the accent was stilted, the background looked more like parts of western US, and an American four door sedan in Russia all stretch credulity. 

As to the drone, we have drones in multiple cities that are quite similar only mounted with cameras.  The small size would necessitate a small caliber with low recoil which wouldn't have broken the rear glass of the car.  Blowing it up was cool but unrealistic
and unbelievable.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 12:25:38 PM »
I looked for it before posting and didn't see it.

I'm not gonna merge it because the topic is different than this one. But "good going" spotting it two days earlier.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 12:37:01 PM »
I've seen some of FPS Russia's other videos, they are entertaining. As noted, he's not actually Russian, the accent is part of the "stage persona" I guess you could call it. From what I read elsewhere, he's based somewhere in Georgia and gets the hardware demos from a Class 3 FFL that sponsors him.

Maybe some green screen work?  That background definitely doesn't look like Georgia.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 01:15:30 PM »
One thing that seems inconsistent is when the unit flies very slowly through the window and none of the items on the table are disturbed in the slightest and then it switches to the unit-mounted camera and the cards blow all over.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 01:19:04 PM »
Also surprisingly little gunfire damage to the wall behind the mannequins...some small amount of damage from the explosions but relatively little wood chipped out from gunfire. I've had light plywood as target holders...it gets destroyed quite dramatically even from .22 rounds very rapidly.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 01:47:25 PM »
Yeah, I mean you can pretty much just tell visually that it was added in digitally, at least while it's in flight anyway.  Also, I didn't really bother trying to count or anything but I'm betting that was more than 100 rounds.  They go by really quick in full auto.

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 02:05:06 PM »

Yeah, that table unmolested is a big tip.

When shooting maniquins on the slope the amout of dust kicked up
disproportionate to the caliber the drone is capable of firing.  The number of bullets fired seem excessive to its carrying capability and the muzzle flash is exciting but also unrealistic.

The muzzle of that thing points carelessly at the operator .

He is holding the tablet at the sides and moving it as if the whole tablet is if it were a joy stick.

When it shoots out the car window the car recoils and the trunk lid goes ajar.   

If there was a gun that small and potent they could put a handle on it, call it a pistol and make a bundle.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 02:12:42 PM »
Fake or real?   ::saywhat::

::cussing:: false advertising...

::facepalm::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 07:23:29 PM »
The muzzle of that thing points carelessly at the operator.

I noticed that, too. No way I would allow that muzzle to point at me even if I was supposedly operating it.

Plus the BS about it having a self destruct.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 07:54:25 PM »
I'm sure an aeronautical engineer could look at the dimensions of those rotors and determine pretty accurately what its maximum lifting capacity would be. I'm guessing just that alone would disprove this thing. A submachine gun, 100+ rounds of ammunition, self-destruct explosives, and a power supply of some sort. I'm betting you those blades simply couldn't move enough air to lift that load, not unless they were spinning very fast, and that would only underscore the likelihood of a heavy power pack.

- Yours Truly