Author Topic: Nano?  (Read 5596 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Nano?
« on: April 25, 2012, 08:42:25 PM »
Quick refresher for those who've joined us over the past 2 years... Many of us who began blogging together on the forum at Powerline years ago migrated to "Conservative Talk" after Powerline closed their forum. The proprietor at CT was a fellow called "Nano". He and a small cadre were the genteel Republicans to our blunt politically incorrect conservatives, so when I believed that the conflicting viewpoints became intolerable for all involved, I set up a new forum.

Nano went into some strange state of mind at the time, and told everyone that he was on his imminent deathbed, and the only thing saving him from pain-induced insanity was copious amounts of Southern Comfort. Shortly after that in one fell swoop, Nano banned everybody who joined me at the new forum. I've honestly long since gotten over any negative feelings about the whole situation. It was a strange and stressful set of circumstances, but obviously for the best in the long run. Anyhoo...

Even though I am banned at Nano's, I can still see it with my dumbphone. I went there today after many months of not bothering, and there were only three users in the past day - all of them lamenting that Nano has disappeared and has not been heard from since mid-March.

If he really did die this time or is having genuine health issues, I want to say publicly that I carry no animosity. I wish him only the best of health, for all the good it will do me or him. I doubt we'll ever know, unless he shows up there again.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Nano?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 08:50:26 PM »
Yeah, too bad all that stuff we went through, but if someone holds a grudge or elevates some over others, well...his site his choice...that's life.  I hold no ill will, he gave us a short-term hangout after PL pulled the plug, and we all found a way to stay together, so good on us and thanks for the memories.

As to Nano's possible status, who knows.  But, Gods will be done.  Like all of us, we can only pray he is on good terms with his maker before exiting this life.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 09:09:35 PM »

All well said and another piece of good will from Nano was refuge to
Gulf Coast Pundits, rescued 'em and put 'em up till they collected and
found a new home.

RIP Nano

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 09:16:14 PM »
Nothing on it at Grouchy's.   ::whatgives::
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 09:46:46 PM »
Nano banned everybody who joined me at the new forum.

Not me, but then I registered at IAF under a different nick. And I never knew for sure if it was him doing the banning (since he seemed so preoccupied with something else) or if it was the Tone Police.

An impromptu ode to The Tone Police

The Tone Police, we live inside of their heads
The Tone Police, they never sleep in a bed
The Tone Police, they're coming to arrest me, oh, no

::evil::

I hope you're OK Nanosecondinvestments

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 10:20:38 PM »
I am ambivalent in my feelings toward him.

He was, by his own account, some kind of a super duper wealthy guy who somehow made zillions of dollars all the time while simultaneously spending every waking moment running his forum. He supposedly had houses all over the world and yet ran his forum on a "free" forum site. He posted a "goodbye cruel world" message that hinted about his imminent demise and then stuck around for weeks, months and even years.

The thing that really irritated me about him was that he turned his forum over to the very worst sort of people (way, way before he vanished) who then terrorized anyone who dared speak bluntly about darn near anything. I got tired of that nonsense pretty quick and I will be forever grateful that IDP acted to create "itsaboutfreedom" at the same site, "proboards." As some of you know, those very same people continued to harass us at our new site. (Now, to be fair, we did perform some mischief of our own...more about that below.) They helped to create a situation that could get us thrown off of the proboards site and then reported it to the proboards staff. There is a line between mischief and viciousness and they crossed that line. Meanwhile, the allegedly dying nano stood by and watched all that happen...he allowed us to be relentlessly tormented on his site to the point where we walked out. He allowed shameless bullies like "FloridaITGuy" and "ChicagoGabriel" to defacto run the place and stomp on our expression.

So...I was not and am not enamored of "nano." I thought that he was full of sh*t with his undocumented (and over-the-top ridiculous) claims of wealth and fortune that bordered on delusions of grandeur. The thread about his soon to be dead condition was annoying to say the least and may have been a type of Munchausen syndrome...who really knows?

I wish him no ill but I have no respect for him either. He did not run his forum well...hence, our exit.

Now, about our mischief on his site: I would have to consult with BigAlSouth to help collect the memories on what exactly we did. I know that BAS and I conspired (via PMs) to poke the "conservative talk" forum in the eye a bit after we left to join IAF. I do know that I did not directly do anything there (and that was because when I left CT I immediately deleted my account...I burned my ships when I came to the new world) but I did conspire with BAS and others. I know that one of the things we did was to tease those who stayed behind about nano's imminent death...sort of a "General Francisco Franco Is Still Dead" kind of a thing (long after it was obvious that he wasn't going to die anytime soon)...asking if he was dead yet and if he was still drinking a gallon of Southern Comfort a day...sarcastic and satirical but not out and out vicious. Nothing that would cause actual damage to the CT site. They could have just banned everyone. And they did. But then they got our IAF site wiped out and that was just plain nasty.

That's the way I remember it going down, anyway. BAS may want to edit my memory with his own. If IAF was still around I could consult my PM archive but, alas, due to CT's attack, IAF is forever down the toilet and all the threads, posts and PMs are lost forever.

ChicagoGabriel is currently hanging out with Raptavio at a very liberal forum called America's Debate. He is as condescending and obnoxious as ever. I have no idea where FloridaITGuy is...he may be one of the three left at CT but I wouldn't know since I have not been there in years.

nano killed his forum by acting (eventually) like an ass to his members. When IDP set up this place we decided to not let that happen here and I believe that we (mainly IDP...it is his site, after all) have done a good job of allowing it to be what it wants and needs to be.

Speaking for myself, I am proud of our members, the content that they provide and their dedication to hanging out here when there are so many other places that they could go.

I will give credit to nano for having CT as a bridge from PLF to where we are now. But that's as far as it goes.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 10:54:10 PM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 10:39:17 PM »
Okay, so morbid curiosity got the better of me and I went to CT just now to look around.

Crap, what a dead site. Only four members there in the last 24 hours (Mike C., the execrable Evon, akaCG and KoreaVet). Why do they bother?

nano last posted on March 17th so that's a little over a month ago. So who knows? He could be dead or just lost interest in hanging out a forum that is, for all intents and purposes, dead itself. I scanned his last one hundred posts (goes back to late February) and he is doing about the same thing that he has alway done...cut and paste posts with links where he offers zero commentary. He apparently believed that his reposting of articles was the big draw for site members and visitors. My personal opinion is that you can read that stuff anywhere...people come to your site for the discussion and that includes yours. He almost never offered any of his own thoughts which is one of the reasons why I say he neglected his forum.

So...even if nano isn't dead his forum is. RIP, Conservative Talk.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 10:44:10 PM »
There is actual discussion there about this very topic. Here is the link. And...it's the only thread at the entire forum with more than 3 or 4 replies...sheesh, that place is dead.

Knowing how much he likes this kind of attention I would not be at all surprised if he pops back up in a few more days or weeks. If he waits too long, though, his last few hangers on might pack it in and abandon ship.

I suppose that moron evon will continue to post there as long as it's open...she has been posting political cartoons on the "science and tech" thread every day for who knows how long. She is the only one who posts on it and probably the only one who reads it. It's almost worth it to create an account and log in to torment her one last time. Almost.

CT is now officially in Twilight Zone territory.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 10:52:30 PM by trapeze »

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 10:56:36 PM »
Thanks for the tale.  I hadn't spent much time at any conservative forum until I discovered IAL while reading comments at one of Breitbart's sites one day and someone had linked to this site.  Not sure why I choose to follow the link that day I often don't go to sites because my expectations aren't high for anything worthwhile.  But I've said it before--I do enjoy coming 'round here.  Most days we all seem to be using the same oar up stream in these frightening times and then there are days when I wonder what the hell are those guys paddling with? But nonetheless, it's never mean or nasty.  It's refreshing to be able to debate and no one is worse for wear. AND it's refreshing to be able to laugh and not debate too.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 11:00:50 PM »
CT/Nano = Meh.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 11:03:53 PM »
Thanks for the tale.  I hadn't spent much time at any conservative forum until I discovered IAL while reading comments at one of Breitbart's sites one day and someone had linked to this site.  Not sure why I choose to follow the link that day I often don't go to sites because my expectations aren't high for anything worthwhile.  But I've said it before--I do enjoy coming 'round here.  Most days we all seem to be using the same oar up stream in these frightening times and then there are days when I wonder what the hell are those guys paddling with? But nonetheless, it's never mean or nasty.  It's refreshing to be able to debate and no one is worse for wear. AND it's refreshing to be able to laugh and not debate too.

Oh boy, and you dove right in, too.  You spent days reading everything 'round here.

... then there are days when I wonder what the hell are those guys paddling with?

Some of us'n's of "those guys" you mean?  Hell, LV; different strokes, right?  But, we'll be pulling in the same direction come a crunch, I figger.  Savvy?

charlesoakwood

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 11:03:58 PM »

Is this a wake?

Korea Vet, never thought he would stay with CT, that was a surprise.

And PL, those sorry hack lawyers had no aesthetics what so ever.  So
many people, subjects, topics, sections, and it ran almost 24/7.
It was not unlike one of those grand old hotel movies with ballrooms,
bars, lounges, and suites with associated clientele. and all the hub bub.

It was vlad and dwipe that consorted to set up SkipSailing as I remember.
And that Mormon fellow who tried so hard and finally gave up. ...and Rose.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 11:09:41 PM »
Still wonder what became of SkipSailing.  I liked him.  Rose was funny.  I remember Curtiss fondly, too.  Oscar88 signed up at IAF (I think) but didn't stick.  I wish he had; he was in the medical field and it would have served us to have his thoughts.

April -- I hope she emigrated to Cuba; that's where she belongs.

wDight chimes in at PJ Media's Belmont Club -- Richard Fernandez, author.  He's still the same "educrat" dumbazz he ever was and right-minded folks there have his number.  Some days, I'd like to sign up, log-in and give him a friggin heart-attack at the sight of "Pandora"'s presence.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 11:13:01 PM »

Oh boy, and you dove right in, too.  You spent days reading everything 'round here.
 That I did.  Hooked from the start.

... then there are days when I wonder what the hell are those guys paddling with?

Some of us'n's of "those guys" you mean?  Hell, LV; different strokes, right?  But, we'll be pulling in the same direction come a crunch, I figger.  Savvy?

Absolutely.  I can appreciate those different strokes because I know we will be pulling in the same direction.  :)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 11:24:29 PM by LadyVirginia »
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

charlesoakwood

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 11:23:09 PM »

Yeah Curtis, heard that he took a hard left turn along the way.
And Del Dolmonte him also, an angry left too.  Guess being reasonable
got to him and he wigged out.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 11:27:54 PM »

Wow - how unfortunate.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 11:38:28 PM »
I see Del posting at HotAir all the time and he doesn't seem to have gone to the Dark Side. I will have to look more closely.

I have thought about lurking there to try and catch him commenting (he doesn't have a link on his name) so that I could invite him here but I just haven't worked up the motivation to do it yet.

I really liked skipsailing and I looked long and hard for any mention of him via search engines. Haven't looked in a couple of years...maybe I should go looking one more time. I have had quite a bit of success finding people online...it's a bit like looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack...frustrating but occasionally rewarding.

I have only attempted to discover two persons' real identities and have succeeded on both accounts. Both of them were PLF members and you can probably guess one of them. The other one was a PLF kook whose online name I can't even remember now but he was, in fact, a total kook in real life when I located him somewhere in Arizona. It's amazing what you can find when you look...in both cases it took me only two to three hours of detective work using nothing more than clues left online and deduction.

Let that be a warning to some of you to not leave too many breadcrumbs leading back to the real world.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2012, 11:40:29 PM »

Wow - how unfortunate.

Indeed, if so!

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2012, 11:53:38 PM »
It's amazing what you can find when you look...in both cases it took me only two to three hours of detective work using nothing more than clues left online and deduction.

Let that be a warning to some of you to not leave too many breadcrumbs leading back to the real world.

There's nothing like a little cyber stalking to engage the brain cells.

I've never tried to find someone behind their user name.  I do look up people I knew in college when their name shows up in the alumni news.  One woman took me a few hours to figure out.  But I discovered she went from being a strict Catholic with a husband and two kids to married three times and Jewish.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 11:58:33 PM »
It's amazing what you can find when you look...in both cases it took me only two to three hours of detective work using nothing more than clues left online and deduction.

There's nothing like a little cyber stalking to engage the brain cells.

I've never tried to find someone behind their user name.  I do look up people I knew in college when their name shows up in the alumni news.  One woman took me a few hours to figure out.  But I discovered she went from being a strict Catholic with a husband and two kids to married three times and Jewish.

Oh, I've looked up people that I knew in the real world, too. Have had mostly success. I don't care to actually contact them...never had that particular nostalgic streak which has kept me away from high school reunions and stuff. But I have found old girlfriends on Facebook and discovered several who have died. Some of the discoveries were extremely interesting like the high school moron who inexplicably ended up a cardiac surgeon with his own practice...that was bizarre. Ah, the wonders of the internet and Facebook...be your own private investigator in your spare time.