Author Topic: I Made Bacon!  (Read 85806 times)

Offline fordguy_85

I Made Bacon!
« on: August 21, 2019, 07:10:22 AM »
So, while watching some cooking channels on YouTube a while back, I came across a video of a guy making bacon. Being a fan of all things bacon, and seeing how relatively simple it appeared, I knew I had to try it for myself.

I did a bunch of reading on the subject, and watched a ton more videos, and decided on a dry brined and hot-smoked version. I ordered a pound of sodium nitrite, or pink curing salt, to help avoid botulism. After that came in I called up a local butcher shop, and had them set me aside half a pork belly. It was $3.19/lb, skin already removed, and I ended up with right at 8-1/2 pounds after trimming it.

After trimming any folds away, and some of the excess fat, I mixed up a 50/50 mix of kosher salt and dark brown sugar to which I added the appropriate amount of curing salt and mixed well with a whisk. I packed this mixture onto the quarters (I’d intended on trying different smoking woods, etc.) and put them into gallon ziplock bags in my fridge for 8 days, flipping them over once a day. Then I washed the cure off the meat, patted it dry, and put them on my smoker/grill over maple wood @ 160-180* for 4-1/2 hours (you go until you reach an internal temp of 155-165*), allow to cool off in the fridge, then slice up or bag up for storage. It apparently keeps for 1-1/2 - 2 weeks in the fridge, and months in the freezer this way.

Eric Morgan
"Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed the conviction that these liberties are the gift of God?" - Thomas Jefferson

"Opinions and instructions do not outmatch the Constitution. Against it, they are void." - Calvin Coolidge

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: I Made Bacon!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 07:12:44 AM »
Well, good for you!  Hope it's delicious.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline fordguy_85

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 07:19:07 AM »
So, there are good things about making your own bacon, and some bad things also... On the positive side, It. Is. Amazing. Period.  ::danceban::

The downside is that pretty much every brand of bacon sold around me in supermarkets, etc., are basically meat cardboard now  :'( ...

Another upside is that you can slice it as thick, or as thinly as you wish. It doesn’t fry up quite like store bought bacon, but more like country ham/ham... but the amount of flavor is out of this world. And I’m sure my first attempt could use some improvements on. Which I intend to try in the coming week or so.

Eric Morgan
"Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed the conviction that these liberties are the gift of God?" - Thomas Jefferson

"Opinions and instructions do not outmatch the Constitution. Against it, they are void." - Calvin Coolidge

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 07:10:59 PM »
The downside is that pretty much every brand of bacon sold around me in supermarkets, etc., are basically meat cardboard now  :'( ...

BLASPHEMY! There is no bad bacon! ::unknowncomic::

Glad it worked out for ya, Uncle Fester! ::thumbsup::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline fordguy_85

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 11:39:05 PM »
I was sorta hopin’ you’d have forgotten to call me that by now  ::facepalm::
Eric Morgan

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 09:43:08 AM »

BLASPHEMY! There is no bad bacon! ::unknowncomic::

Yes. Yes there is. Until you have it straight from farm to table-- you haven't tasted bacon.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2019, 09:15:43 PM »
I was sorta hopin’ you’d have forgotten to call me that by now  ::facepalm::

Just be glad I haven't passed it on to farcebook. ::devil::

Again, great job.

So now you custom make blades, baits, and bacon. What's next on list of accomplishments?

I feel so inadequate. ::gaah::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 10:36:12 AM »

Like farm-fresh anything should naturally be better...

Meat, eggs, milk...veggies, fruit...

Good job Uncle...err Fordguy...I'm guessing the next custom make is still in the B's...sooo...there's beer, which I haven't done in a while but you may find just as enjoyable (strong scotch ale is my fav!), oe booze for distilled spirits which I have always had an interest in, ditto for bullets, bottles and other glassworks, bees (honey)...

« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 10:43:06 AM by Libertas »
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2019, 04:48:54 PM »
  I ordered bacon through a friend at church where they seem to all like it a lot. 15 pounds 60 bucks.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2019, 07:03:20 AM »
Straight off the belly? 

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.