Author Topic: GOP Leadership: Hands off the ObamaCare Slush-fund  (Read 2978 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
GOP Leadership: Hands off the ObamaCare Slush-fund
« on: March 16, 2011, 01:00:16 PM »
Guests, feel free to register & join the discussion!

Yesterday Libertas posted an article about the administration telling SCOTUS to keep their hands of ObamaCare constitutionality. Now we have a credible report that House leadership (Boehner, Cantor, McCarthy) are preventing the King/Bachmann amendments to the "continuing resolutions" that would strip the slush fund moving forward. Take blood pressure meds and bite down on a pencil...

GOP Leadership: Hands off the ObamaCare Slush-fund

Speaker of the House John Boehner, House Majority Leader Eric Cantor and House Republican Whip Kevin McCarthy have consistently blocked efforts by Reps. Steve King and Michele Bachmann to defund the so-called "Obamacare slush fund" via the continuing resolution or House spending bills, despite being told by House Republican leadership staff that they could do so under current House rules.

"There is no way we can include their [Bachmann and King's] amendment; it would just bog us down and undercut the leadership goal of getting real cutting done through negotiations with Democrats and the White House," says a leadership aide, sticking to talking points generated out of Cantor's office after Tuesday's vote in the House to extend funding for government through early April.

Bachmann and King have been pressing to zero out the $105 billion that funds the Obama Administration's implementation of the president's health care plan.

Despite broad support among the American public for Congress to draw back spending on Obamacare, it has done nothing to remove the $105 billion that the previous Congress had allocated. Under the terms of the funding allocation, about $5 billion is budgeted for implementation purposes in FY2011, while another $100 billion has been appropriated for FY2012 through 2020.

Staff for McCarthy privately attempted to distance their boss from Boehner and Cantor. "[McCarthy] is not opposed to finding a way to zero out the implementation funding," said an aide. "But if the majority leader and Speaker don't want it, the whip isn't in a position to push too hard. But let's be clear, there is nothing to all the hooey about how leadership is supporting funding of Obamacare, because we aren't bending to every whim of King and Queen Michele."

In fact, House leadership is. According to sources familiar with discussions among House Republican leadership, Boehner and Cantor were informed by GOP leadership staff that it would have been "relatively easy" to gain the necessary votes to change House rules to allow the Bachmann-King amendment to be included in the continuing resolution. "It has been done in the past without a lot of sound and fury," says a current House member. "You change the rules and then you include the amendment that you want now that the rules have been changed. I don't know why this situation is any different."

Instead of playing the parliamentary gambit, Boehner and Cantor pressed for a vote on the spending and whipped more than half of the freshman Republican class to vote with them, leaving their Tea Party supporters back home wondering how their representatives could so quickly break with their constituencies.

For Boehner and Cantor's part, they have promised Republicans a vote on the Bachmann-King amendment as a stand-alone bill. The only problem: such a bill has no chance of passage in the Senate with a Democrat majority.

"This votes gives us the ability to say we voted to defund the slush fund, where it goes from there doesn't really matter," says an aide to Cantor. "We just want this off the table so we can get to some serious budget negotiations, not political stunts."
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 01:04:15 PM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: GOP Leadership: Hands off the ObamaCare Slush-fund
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 01:29:37 PM »
OMG!

They are telling everyone in the Tea Party, those who got them into fricking power, to fvck off!

And that sham concession to vote on a stand alone?  Where's the point if there is no beef behind the effort?!

Fracking unreal!  These clowns really are wanting us to split off and let them die!  How else do you interpret such cowardice?!

::bashing::
                      ::falldownshocked::
                                                           ::angry::
                                                                                     ::eyes::
                                                                                                             ::gaah::
                                                                                                                                     ::puke::
                                                                                                                                                             ::cussing::
                                                                                                                                                                                       ::barf::
 ::speechless::
                                ::unknowncomic::
                                                                   ::whatgives::
                                                                                                     ::mooning::
                                                                                                                               ::rockets::
                                                                                                                                                         ::rockethrow::
                                                                                                                                                                                              ::laserkill::
 ::hanging::
                                        ::smalldeadhorse::
                                                                                           ::fail::
                                                                                                                       ::guillotine::
                                                                                                                                                        ::bigmooning::
                                                                                                                                                                                                ::overkill::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 01:59:25 PM »
I think my freshman congress critter is just a Republican and not a conservative
Mike Kelly, Pa. 3

I've had reservations about him since before the primary when I had a chance to speak with him for about 10 minutes.

His whole claim to fame is that he could beat my "Blue Dog", Dahlkemper. He did do that.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 02:19:10 PM »
Do we have an email addi for Cantor?
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 03:15:51 PM »
OMG!
 ::bashing::
                      ::falldownshocked::
                                                           ::angry::
                                                                                     ::eyes::
                                                                                                             ::gaah::
                                                                                                                                     ::puke::
                                                                                                                                                             ::cussing::
                                                                                                                                                                                       ::barf::
 ::speechless::
                                ::unknowncomic::
                                                                   ::whatgives::
                                                                                                     ::mooning::
                                                                                                                               ::rockets::
                                                                                                                                                         ::rockethrow::
                                                                                                                                                                                              ::laserkill::
 ::hanging::
                                        ::smalldeadhorse::
                                                                                           ::fail::
                                                                                                                       ::guillotine::
                                                                                                                                                        ::bigmooning::
                                                                                                                                                                                                ::overkill::

Let's Make a Deal?  Not with my vote you don't.  Reap the whirlwind bastards.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 03:18:57 PM »
I am beginning to suspect Boehner and Cantor do not want Obamacare defunded OR repealed.  Why else would they do this and then call the King/Bachmann amendment push a political stunt?

Sonsabtches.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 03:29:52 PM »
I am beginning to suspect Boehner and Cantor do not want Obamacare defunded OR repealed.  Why else would they do this and then call the King/Bachmann amendment push a political stunt?

Sonsabtches.

They don't. They have as much vested interest in this huge expansion of the State as do the Dems. While the common lamentation "there's no difference between D and R" isn't exactly true, what is true is that we have two Big Government parties. The squabbling is less about policy and more about who gets to hold the steering wheel.

They're going to be full bore trying to stick ObamaCare way on the back burner now. Their attitude is going to be that the one perfunctory repeal vote (that everyone knew would fail in the Senate) means they've made good on their campaign promises, and it's now "time to move on so we can get things done".

I am with Mark Levin, I think we should now start calling it BoehnerCare.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 03:36:27 PM »
...Their attitude is going to be that the one perfunctory repeal vote (that everyone knew would fail in the Senate) means they've made good on their campaign promises, and it's now "time to move on so we can get things done".

If they seriously believe that's gonna work they're just frackin' delusional. They would be completely relying on an electorate as disengaged as it was 5 years ago, or even 3. That's just no longer the reality. Even if the general electorate loses focus on Obamacare, the GOP grassroots will never forget a betrayal from them on something this front and center.

I am with Mark Levin, I think we should now start calling it BoehnerCare.

That's a very clever idea. I would support that if it doesn't become apparent VERY quickly that Boehner and Cantor are being misunderstood, and they do indeed intend to move aggressively for repeal and/or defunding.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 04:12:47 PM »
I just tried to email Cantor and I can't send him an email because I don't live in his district!!
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 04:18:57 PM »
  I sent my guy an email and we'll see what he has to say. I'm pissed!!
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 05:29:10 PM »
They don't. They have as much vested interest in this huge expansion of the State as do the Dems. While the common lamentation "there's no difference between D and R" isn't exactly true, what is true is that we have two Big Government parties. The squabbling is less about policy and more about who gets to hold the steering wheel.

They're going to be full bore trying to stick ObamaCare way on the back burner now. Their attitude is going to be that the one perfunctory repeal vote (that everyone knew would fail in the Senate) means they've made good on their campaign promises, and it's now "time to move on so we can get things done".

Bingo.  See Codevilla's "America's Ruling Class".  See also "conservative" parties in Europe.

/get what things done, exactly?   ::bashing::
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

charlesoakwood

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 05:33:06 PM »
Re: ObamaCare Slush Fund
The Honorable, Messrs. John Boehner, Eric Cantor and comrades
112th Congress, 1st Session
Washington, DC 20515
(202) 224-3121 TTY: (202) 225-1904
Fax : http://www.house.gov/

Thank you for making it clear where you stand on the now to be called BoehnerCare.  You may assuredly depend handsome donations to your opponents and TeaParty candidates and TeaParty Pacs are forthcoming.   And every time you pull another dumb-ass stunt I will send them more money.

Sincerely,
Charles Oakwood

How to Write a Letter to Congress

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 06:07:53 PM »
Something is wrong someplace!!
http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/2011/03/boehner-promises-vote-slash-obamacare-slush-fund

Yeah, it is to be separate from the Continuing Resolution. In other words, it's a fig leaf to cover the fact that they weren't willing to put the cuts on the table for a vote when they actually had a chance of passing. By attaching it to the CR they had some leverage to use against the Senate, as in "vote for this or the government will shut down". Well these master poker players yanked that trump card and are now going to attempt to show themselves as trying to defund BoehnerCare by sending a bill they know will fail in the Senate.

It's a stunt by the treacherous leadership, that's all.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 06:31:53 PM »

The importance of saying thank you
Below are the 54 Republicans who voted no. Call them at 202-224-3121 and make sure they know you appreciate their stand. Right now, they are only hearing a lot of yelling from their leadership.

Flake  AZ
Franks AZ
Campbell CA
Lamborn CO
Tipton CO
Mack FL
Ross FL
Southerland FL
Stearns FL
West FL
Gingrey GA
Graves GA
King IA
Labrador ID
Johnson IL
Walsh IL
Burton IN
Pence IN
Stutzman IN
Huelskamp KS
Fleming LA
Landry LA
Bartlett MD
Harris MD
Amash MI
Benishek MI
Huizenga MI
McCotter MI
Walberg MI
Bachmann MN
Akin MO
Long MO
Rehberg MT
Jones NC
Garrett NJ
Smith NJ
Pearce NM
Heller NV
Chabot OH
Jordan OH
Schmidt OH
Sullivan OK
Pitts PA
Duncan SC
Gowdy SC
Mulvaney SC
Wilson SC
Barton TX
GohmertTX
Hall TX
Paul TX
Poe TX
Chaffetz UT
Rigell VA

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 07:50:13 PM »
Re: ObamaCare Slush Fund
The Honorable, Messrs. John Boehner, Eric Cantor and comrades
112th Congress, 1st Session
Washington, DC 20515
(202) 224-3121 TTY: (202) 225-1904
Fax : http://www.house.gov/

Thank you for making it clear where you stand on the now to be called BoehnerCare.  You may assuredly depend handsome donations to your opponents and TeaParty candidates and TeaParty Pacs are forthcoming.   And every time you pull another dumb-ass stunt I will send them more money.

Sincerely,
Charles Oakwood

How to Write a Letter to Congress

That's a damn good letter, just add the bit about not being fooled by the DOA CYA stand-alone de-fund bill, and it's perfect!

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 07:51:20 PM »

The importance of saying thank you
Below are the 54 Republicans who voted no. Call them at 202-224-3121 and make sure they know you appreciate their stand. Right now, they are only hearing a lot of yelling from their leadership.

Flake  AZ
Franks AZ
Campbell CA
Lamborn CO
Tipton CO
Mack FL
Ross FL
Southerland FL
Stearns FL
West FL
Gingrey GA
Graves GA
King IA
Labrador ID
Johnson IL
Walsh IL
Burton IN
Pence IN
Stutzman IN
Huelskamp KS
Fleming LA
Landry LA
Bartlett MD
Harris MD
Amash MI
Benishek MI
Huizenga MI
McCotter MI
Walberg MI
Bachmann MN
Akin MO
Long MO
Rehberg MT
Jones NC
Garrett NJ
Smith NJ
Pearce NM
Heller NV
Chabot OH
Jordan OH
Schmidt OH
Sullivan OK
Pitts PA
Duncan SC
Gowdy SC
Mulvaney SC
Wilson SC
Barton TX
GohmertTX
Hall TX
Paul TX
Poe TX
Chaffetz UT
Rigell VA

You read my mind Charles!  These people need to be supported.  Let's let them know we appreciate their principles and courage!

::thumbsup::

hemm

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 07:56:07 PM »
Libertas, regarding:

« Reply #1 on: Today at 02:29:37 PM »

You seem to be holding your feelings inside you should tell us how you really feel.........

/s

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 08:13:42 PM »
Yeah, I know, I gotta learn to let go!

Maybe later!

;D

ETA - Ooh, how about this?  If seals are back-stabbers...

Ooh yeah, that would feel fabulous!

::thumbsup::

« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 08:18:11 PM by Libertas »