Author Topic: Rubio Praises U.N., World Bank, IMF ...  (Read 826 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Rubio Praises U.N., World Bank, IMF ...
« on: April 26, 2012, 03:38:04 PM »
... for Not Asserting ‘Narrow American Interests’

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), who was elected to his first term with help from the Tea Party in 2010 and who is sometimes cited as a potential GOP vice presidential pick, lauded the United Nations, the World Bank, and the International Monetary Fund (IMF) for following their respective visions instead of asserting “narrow American interests” in a speech today on U.S. foreign policy.

In remarks at the liberal Brookings Institution in Washington, D.C., Rubio sketched the advances made globally since the end of World War II as a result of America’s leadership.

That vision and will helped other nation's attain liberty, kept trade routes open, supported “the expansion of free market capitalism that accelerated the growth of the global economy,” he said, “and we did it without coveting other countries’ territories or seizing their assets or robbing them of their opportunities.”

“The purpose of the institutions we established, from the United Nations to the World Bank and the IMF was to spread peace and prosperity, not to assert narrow American interests,” said Sen. Rubio.

Other nations followed America’s lead after WWII because they saw it as the most efficient way to achieve the goals they wanted as well, in terms of individual liberty and economic growth, said the senator.

... As for America’s role in global policy today, Sen. Rubio said the country must still lead--and perhaps intervene in places such as Syria, and Iran--because no other nation is yet prepared to take on that leadership role.

“Is now finally the time for us to mind our own business?” said Rubio.  “Is now the time for us to allow others to lead? Is now the time for us to play the role of equal partner?”

“Who will lead, if we do not?” he said.

Prior to Rubio’s remarks, Brookings Institution President Strobe Talbott, the deputy secretary of state in the Clinton administration, said of the Florida senator, “He has already established himself as a vigorous advocate of intense and widespread U.S. engagement in the world. He is an internationalist.”

Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.), who caucuses with the Democrats, introduced Rubio as “a rising star in the next generation of America’s foreign policy leaders.” Rubio praised Lieberman’s statesmanship, comparing it to that of FDR, Truman and JFK.

In his initial remarks, Sen. Rubio sought to separate himself from some conservatives in the Senate on foreign policy, saying that until recently the general view was that American conservatism “believed in a robust and muscular foreign policy,” citing Presidents George W. Bush, George H.W. Bush and Ronald Reagan.

“But when I arrived in the Senate last year, I found that some of the traditional sides in the foreign policy debate had shifted,” said Rubio.  “On the one hand I found liberal Democrats and conservative Republicans working together to advocate our withdrawal from Afghanistan or staying out of Libya. On the other hand, I found myself partnering with Democrats … on a more forceful foreign policy.”

“So I recently joked, the other day, that today in the U.S. Senate, on foreign policy, the further you move to the right, the likelier you are to move to the left,” said Rubio.

Rubio is a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and the Senate Intelligence Committee.

He did criticize the U.N. Security Council for sometimes failing to reach consensus and act swiftly. In those circumstances, said Rubio, the United States must take the lead and shape a global coalition to solve problems.

Sen. Rubio specifically cited a nuclear-equipped Iran, saying “we must be prepared to act, with or without” our global partners. “If all else fails, preventing a nuclear Iran, may tragically require a military solution,” he said.

Rubio also argued that  toppling Syria’s Assad regime “would be a blow to Iran’s ambitions” and apparently improve Israel’s security.

The more I hear him, the less I like him, bordering right now on active dislike.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: Rubio Praises U.N., World Bank, IMF ...
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 03:46:08 PM »
Yep, same here.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 04:08:21 PM »
I started to dislike him quite a while back.
He's a squish on illegals.

NeoCon in training

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 04:14:18 PM »
I started to dislike him quite a while back.
He's a squish on illegals.

NeoCon in training

Seems their ethnic loyalties will always come first.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 06:26:00 PM »
thanks for the info

always like narrowing the list
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

charlesoakwood

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 07:16:29 PM »

When/if DeMint dumps him then we'll know.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 12:12:27 AM »
“Asked if Romney needed to lighten up his rhetoric, Rubio said the GOP has to better communicate it’s the pro-immigration party.

“‘Not just Gov. Romney — but in general, over the last five years that the Republican Party has come to be viewed as the anti-illegal immigration party.’”

ExCUSE me?  Now it's against *something* right and true to be against illegal immigration?

I want to goddam well know right now why I, we, must pay up/be responsible/take on the burden of the children illegal aliens have dragged into this country?  Why is it we are charged with the false premise of "the children did no wrong" under the guise of, "so, we must make it right"?  Why is it become OUR burden because Mexican children were wronged by their parents?  No.  Goddamn it, NO.  We have our own children for which to provide and the demand is we sacrifice ours on behalf of theirs, because, well, you know, SOMEONE HAS TO DO IT.

This is Rubio.  This cannot be tolerated.

God Damn these people.

http://hotair.com/archives/2012/04/26/quotes-of-the-day-1009/
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 12:38:45 AM »
I reread that quote, he's been saying that for two years, it's not new.
He's playing with words.  Of course we are pro-legal immigration;
get in line.  

Now is not the time to bring it up.  At this moment they are going home
we've got a president and houses to elect, later with this distraction.

He worms the words out there to be misinterpreted  or to allow weasel room.  
If you read or listen to his complete speeches his words are as if he's been in
the Senate for ever.  He's got game he's not been around long enough for any
one to know what it is.  I don't trust him.

ETA: 02-09-12

South Carolina Senator Jim DeMint sat down with the Shark Tank at CPAC to talk about a slew of issues including the contentious Florida Republican Senate Primary race and the possiblility of Marco Rubio being tapped as the Republican Presidential VP pick.

... DeMint stated that he would rather see Rubio run for President as opposed to being a VP pick, insisting that it “wouldn’t really be a good job for someone like Rubio.”

Senator Jim DeMint on Marco Rubio, FL Senate Race

« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 01:03:22 AM by Charles Oakwood »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 08:03:31 AM »
 ::mooning::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.