Author Topic: Heh. Wind Farms newest cause of Global Warming  (Read 1544 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Heh. Wind Farms newest cause of Global Warming
« on: April 30, 2012, 02:30:36 PM »
It really is just too rich. I almost feel a little guilty for the Schadenfreude. Almost. A little.

New Research Shows Wind Farms Cause Global Warming

Large wind farms might have a warming effect on the local climate, research in the United States showed on Sunday, casting a shadow over the long-term sustainability of wind power…

<snip>

Researchers at the State University of New York at Albany analysed the satellite data of areas around large wind farms in Texas, where four of the world’s largest farms are located, over the period 2003 to 2011.

The results, published in the journal Nature Climate Change, showed a warming trend of up to 0.72 degrees Celsius per decade in areas over the farms, compared with nearby regions without the farms.

“We attribute this warming primarily to wind farms,” the study said. The temperature change could be due to the effects of the energy expelled by farms and the movement and turbulence generated by turbine rotors, it said.

::hysterical::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Heh. Wind Farms newest cause of Global Warming
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 02:45:37 PM »
Aaaaaand the law of unintended consequences strikes again.  Heh.

Got a question about said turbines and bird-deaths.  Gunsmith caught a TV view of a big wind-farm and mentioned that the things didn't appear to be turning fast enough to kill birds (and if any bird was killed, it was too stupid to live.)

Even if the things are not turning fast, don't they put out some forward-blowing wind?  Enough to sort of push the birds away or aside?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 02:52:32 PM »
Aaaaaand the law of unintended consequences strikes again.  Heh.

Got a question about said turbines and bird-deaths.  Gunsmith caught a TV view of a big wind-farm and mentioned that the things didn't appear to be turning fast enough to kill birds (and if any bird was killed, it was too stupid to live.)

Even if the things are not turning fast, don't they put out some forward-blowing wind?  Enough to sort of push the birds away or aside?

I'm no authority on it, but it wouldn't seem so to me. They would have to be powered to force air forward. Think electric fan vs. pinwheel.

It seems to me that because the wind is moving them, rather than them moving the air, that any turbulence would be just disrupted air in the immediate vicinity of the blades. The air is moving at "X" speed, encounters the blade which resists the air enough to move the blade. But I would think the air on the other side of the blade would be decelerated for having been disrupted, not accelerated. If anything, it would cause localized turbulence.

So perhaps it is that localized turbulence that would send birdies into a tailspin, but whaddoIknow? I've seen birds handle some pretty gusty winds, much beyond what it seems a windmill could cause.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 02:56:16 PM »
BS CYA spin coming in 3...2...1...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 02:59:05 PM »
Aaaaaand the law of unintended consequences strikes again.  Heh.

Got a question about said turbines and bird-deaths.  Gunsmith caught a TV view of a big wind-farm and mentioned that the things didn't appear to be turning fast enough to kill birds (and if any bird was killed, it was too stupid to live.)

Even if the things are not turning fast, don't they put out some forward-blowing wind?  Enough to sort of push the birds away or aside?

I'm no authority on it, but it wouldn't seem so to me. They would have to be powered to force air forward. Think electric fan vs. pinwheel.

It seems to me that because the wind is moving them, rather than them moving the air, that any turbulence would be just disrupted air in the immediate vicinity of the blades. The air is moving at "X" speed, encounters the blade which resists the air enough to move the blade. But I would think the air on the other side of the blade would be decelerated for having been disrupted, not accelerated. If anything, it would cause localized turbulence.

So perhaps it is that localized turbulence that would send birdies into a tailspin, but whaddoIknow? I've seen birds handle some pretty gusty winds, much beyond what it seems a windmill could cause.

I have, however, seen birds do some really dopey things; fly into closed windows and into windshields of moving vehicles.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 03:45:48 PM »
From wackypedia:

A wind turbine is designed to produce a maximum of power at wide spectrum of wind speeds. All wind turbines are designed for a maximum wind speed, called the survival speed, above which they do not survive. The survival speed of commercial wind turbines is in the range of 40 m/s (144 km/h, 89 MPH) to 72 m/s (259 km/h, 161 MPH). The most common survival speed is 60 m/s (216 km/h, 134 MPH).

Those blades are turning faster than they look!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 03:48:21 PM »
From wackypedia:

A wind turbine is designed to produce a maximum of power at wide spectrum of wind speeds. All wind turbines are designed for a maximum wind speed, called the survival speed, above which they do not survive. The survival speed of commercial wind turbines is in the range of 40 m/s (144 km/h, 89 MPH) to 72 m/s (259 km/h, 161 MPH). The most common survival speed is 60 m/s (216 km/h, 134 MPH).

Those blades are turning faster than they look!

Yah, I had a feeeeeeeeling   :D    they might be.  They're so big, they look slow.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 08:51:07 PM »

RPMs is the turn rate.

Maybe it's birds flying behind the blades.
The change in pressure and or wind speed
before the blades and behind them could cause
loss of lift.

Somebody needs to make some YouTubes.
Three good one's would cause a blowout.

Waaaaaaaaa, where's my PETA.