Author Topic: "Goober Pyle" George Lindsey, 83  (Read 1624 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
"Goober Pyle" George Lindsey, 83
« on: May 06, 2012, 06:55:35 PM »
George Lindsey, known as TV's Goober Pyle, dies

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — George Lindsey, who made a TV career as a grinning service station attendant named Goober on "The Andy Griffith Show" and "Hee Haw," has died. He was 83.

The Marshall-Donnelly-Combs Funeral Home in Nashville said Lindsay died early Sunday morning after a brief illness.

Lindsey was the beanie-wearing Goober on "The Andy Griffith Show" from 1964 to 1968 and its successor, "Mayberry RFD," from 1968 to 1971. He played the same jovial character on "Hee Haw" from 1971 until it went out of production in 1993.

"America has grown up with me," Lindsey said in an Associated Press interview in 1985. "Goober is every man; everyone finds something to like about ol' Goober."

He joined "The Andy Griffith Show" in 1964 when Jim Nabors, portraying Gomer Pyle, left the program. Goober Pyle, who had been mentioned on the show as Gomer's cousin, replaced him...

More from AP linked @ Yahoo...

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: "Goober Pyle" George Lindsey, 83
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 06:36:07 AM »
Wasn't much of a Mayberry or AG fan growing up so I remember him best from Hee Haw.  Yeah, us northern rednecks watched Hee Haw!  (They had quite the collection of babes run through that show!)
 ;)

RIP Goober
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 10:27:14 AM »
Being from NC, I know the Andy Griffith Show very well indeed. It pains me that AG is such a Democrat tool, I can't really watch it the same way anymore.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 10:43:44 AM »
Being from NC, I know the Andy Griffith Show very well indeed. It pains me that AG is such a Democrat tool, I can't really watch it the same way anymore.

When Andy gained some sophistication , he stopped being funny . The show was never the same after Barney left . Griffith's a real POS !

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 12:45:04 PM »
Agreed. I don't even watch the episodes that don't have Barney.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly