Author Topic: May 5 Free Comic Book Day  (Read 1210 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
May 5 Free Comic Book Day
« on: May 04, 2012, 02:47:43 PM »
Check out your local comic book store for a free one tomorrow!  Haven't ever participated before but if I can fit it in I'll take the kids.

store locator link here
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: May 5 Free Comic Book Day
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 03:29:53 AM »
I'm at that odd stage in life. The kids are too old and the grand kid isn't quite old enough. Although I should have passed this on to my eldest. He does have a collection, but I think he fancies himself a comic connoisseur. What ever that that is. ::thinking::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 05:23:31 AM »
I'm at that odd stage in life. The kids are too old and the grand kid isn't quite old enough. Although I should have passed this on to my eldest. He does have a collection, but I think he fancies himself a comic connoisseur. What ever that that is. ::thinking::

I have my "Mad Magazine" sent to the house in a plain brown wrapper .

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 10:55:39 AM »
My dad did me an inadvertent favor when I was young. He threw out my comic book collection once when we were moving. I was really torqued at the time but it served to break the early hoarder spirit in me (don't worry - it reasserted itself later on!).

Nowadays I can still appreciate a well-crafted "graphic-art" story but the spell is broken on mindlessly collecting them. And with no children to share them with or bequeath to what's the point?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 06:52:38 AM »

As well as Cracked & National Lampoon?   ;D
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 09:50:10 AM »

Nowadays I can still appreciate a well-crafted "graphic-art" story but the spell is broken on mindlessly collecting them. And with no children to share them with or bequeath to what's the point?

Oh, I think you could always find a willing taker. Many a comic shop started with just such a collection.
Of course, even in my younger days I was so cheap I would wait for Cerebus to be published in a "phone book" collection  rather than buy individual issues - much to the Chagrin of the indie shop that produced it. I was always way more interested in the story than in collectibility.

Did you know that  Spiderman 583 was reissued 5 times with different covers?  I guy I met at a customer ran a comic shop and he showed them all to me. It was his best seller at the time, and these collectors would reflexively buy each time a new cover was offered. Same issue. New Cover.  Over and over. $5 a pop, and more once its shelf time expired.  Looks like the collection is running at $8 an issue now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-583-1-2-3-4-5-NM-CONDITION-/150810924695?_trksid=p4340.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D15%26pmod%3D251002451877%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8249568023607414814#ht_500wt_1080

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 10:41:05 AM »

Gee ... I didn't know "Cracked" was still being published !

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 11:32:02 AM »

Gee ... I didn't know "Cracked" was still being published !

Hell if I know.  But those three are about all I read as a kid.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 11:38:02 AM »
I recently bought myself the complete National Lampoon and Mad Magazine on DVD. Great memories.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 11:43:47 AM »
I recently bought myself the complete National Lampoon and Mad Magazine on DVD. Great memories.

Spy vs Spy rocks!  ::cool::
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 12:05:12 PM »

Spy vs Spy rocks!  ::cool::

::thumbsup::

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 04:53:08 PM »
I can vividly remember in grade school and Jr. High it was Mad magazine. Then came High School and National Lampoon. Of course it was only for the articles. ::angel::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 07:04:54 AM »
Yeah, and I liked those Rigid tool calendars just for the...umm...tools!   ::evil::