Author Topic: Personal Firearm(s)  (Read 4398 times)

Offline BMG

• Established Member
Personal Firearm(s)
« on: May 10, 2012, 12:42:49 PM »
A few days back I mentioned that I was finally able to get my hands on a Kel-Tec RFB and was asked to provide some first hand range accounts when I am finally able to get it to the range. I'll put that stuff in this thread when I'm able. :)  I doubt I'll be able to get it to the range anytime soon however because I have that impending trip out of the state and then the new house to move into and all the projects and 'honey-dos' to get done. It may well be a couple three months before I can get to the range as a result.

Still, I thought it would be cool to have a thread were any of us 'gun nuts' can reminisce about our favorites or post our new acquisitions, whatever. So here it is.

Speaking of new acquisitions, just a couple days ago I managed to get my hands on an RFB after sitting on a waiting list for a year. Well, my Wife surprised with me a second new acquisition just yesterday. Another Kel-Tec that I have also been on a waiting list for for the last year and which I was told by numerous gun stores that I would likely never see and if I did, would be at least three years before I would! Anyway, the gun store I found my RFB at was one that is a 2 hour drive from my home and one that I had never done business with before. So on a lark I put my name on the waiting list for this other firearm the day I purchased the RFB from them. I was told I was the only one on the list - but that I shouldn't hold my breath waiting for the KSG. Anyway, they called two days later and told me my special order was ready. I was pretty shocked since this thing is supposed to be as rare as hen's teeth. Anyway, my Wife went ahead and let me get it as well - for my birthday.  ;D

Here's some specifics:
18.5" barrel
Overall length is 26.1"
2 tube magazines which allows the firearm to hold 7+7+1 of 2 3/4" 12GA or 6+6+1 of 3" magnum (there is a manual lever situated between the two magazines which allows you to switch between magazines as needed).
It weighs in at 6.9 lbs unloaded
Action: Pump

Here's a video:

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: Personal Firearm(s)
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 07:42:00 PM »
That makes for some superb goblin-control right there.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 08:21:41 PM »
That looks like tons o' fun. Want.

One thing that crossed my mind as I watched was the close proximity of the forward hand to the muzzle upon firing. It wouldn't be an issue in my mind, except for the pump. When he was doing the rapid fire-eject-chamber-fire-eject-chamber-fire, I imagined a sweaty forward hand in a stressful situation, slipping off the grip and ahead of the muzzle upon chambering the round, finger still on trigger anticipating that trigger pull, mind still in the rhythm of it - kablamm - fingers or hand badly damaged.

I guess I'd have to fire one rapidly to see for myself, but that was my gut impression. Still looks like an awesome zombie gun though.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 08:34:52 PM »
Very good observation IDP.  I'd probably feel more comfortable with a forward pistol grip for that reason.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 08:44:28 PM »
I should have some pictures from the NRA Whittington range this weekend. The person accompanying me is bringing his own zombie gun. I haven't seen it yet but it has a thirty round drum magazine with slugs. I am looking forward to that plus his sniper rifle that shoots the Lapua .338 rounds.

I'm taking the Mini-14, the DPMS Panther AR15, the S&W iBolt in .30-06, the S&W Sigma in .40 and the trusty 10/22. I decided against taking the shotguns this trip...maybe next time.

I haven't taken a close count but I should have at least a couple of thousand rounds or so altogether. Maybe more. Probably more.

When I was stocking up on .30-06 this morning someone at the gun store asked me if I was going to hunt libs. He was half serious.

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 08:55:15 PM »
I've been dinking around with it most of the day since I didn't have much of a chance last night by the time I got back into town and then had Wednesday supper at the in-laws' place. So It was 'all hands on deck' today.  ::thumbsup::

Anyway, the pump action is extremely smooth in both directions. Unlike most of the Kel-Tec stuff I've handled, the KSG and the RFB are built very well. They have the polymer 'furniture' but it's a better quality than their other products. As Priest noted, I'm planing to put a grip on the front stock to negate the possibility of a catastrophic accident.

The only thing that I'm having issue with with this KSG atm is feeding. You have to slam the action rearward in order for the magazines to release the next shotshell. If you don't you end up going through the motions of cycling the action, but end up with an empty chamber. I suspect this is due to the firearm being brand new and needs to be broken in. So today I spent a decent amount of time just cycling the action. I put it up a half hour ago and it did seem like the glitch had been reduced. I'll be sure to post any (other) problems if I find any.  ;D
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

- Tacitus

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 08:58:45 PM »
I should have some pictures from the NRA Whittington range this weekend. The person accompanying me is bringing his own zombie gun. I haven't seen it yet but it has a thirty round drum magazine with slugs. I am looking forward to that plus his sniper rifle that shoots the Lapua .338 rounds.

I'm taking the Mini-14, the DPMS Panther AR15, the S&W iBolt in .30-06, the S&W Sigma in .40 and the trusty 10/22. I decided against taking the shotguns this trip...maybe next time.

I haven't taken a close count but I should have at least a couple of thousand rounds or so altogether. Maybe more. Probably more.

When I was stocking up on .30-06 this morning someone at the gun store asked me if I was going to hunt libs. He was half serious.

Man Trap, that sounds like a blast! I have so much going on over the course of the next couple months that I doubt I'll be able to get to the range anytime soon but I'm sure chomping at the bit to get there. :) Oh, hey - have you got a favorite?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 09:01:58 PM by BMG »
- Patrick Henry

- Tacitus

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 10:39:09 PM »
Umm, favorite what? Gun? Range? Hippie lib target?

Did I mention that I would be taking pictures?

My only regret: My son was supposed to be making this trip with me but his leave was postponed. He will be coming home for a two week break in August but I'm not sure I want to be in NM during that month...I imagine it will be pretty damned hot then.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 10:46:53 PM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 11:03:32 AM »
Umm, favorite what? Gun? Range? Hippie lib target?

Firearm.  :D
- Patrick Henry

- Tacitus

charlesoakwood

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 12:34:51 PM »

Fifteen, that's gotta hurt...but in certain circumstances a life saver.

Shoulder/life...shoulder/life...shoulder/life, not a difficult choice.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 05:51:21 PM »
I imagined a sweaty forward hand in a stressful situation, slipping off the grip and ahead of the muzzle upon chambering the round, finger still on trigger anticipating that trigger pull, mind still in the rhythm of it - kablamm - fingers or hand badly damaged.

I would think MOST people would not fire is there wasn't a sufficient grip on the forearm. Notice I said most.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Miltrainer

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 06:50:12 PM »
I heard there was one out there that as semi-auto. My coworker told me of it. I don't remember the manufacturer though. ::thinking::
You want the truth?....You can't handle the truth!

charlesoakwood

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 07:39:04 PM »

Sweet shotgun

Called Street Sweeper

charlesoakwood

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 08:42:20 PM »

Alliance Armament Accelerator 12 gauge pistol

Called, Alliance Armament Accelerator 12 gauge pistol

charlesoakwood

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 08:51:40 PM »
or
   from the
                professional Russian

AA-12 Fully Automatic Shotgun!!!

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2012, 12:21:52 AM »
Got to Whittington mid afternoon.

The weather was not great. Overcast and temps in the low fifties with a fairly strong breeze making it feel much colder. We could have shot until seven thirty but the light was pretty much useless after about six. Plus it was getting uncomfortably cold. So we headed for town and ribeye steaks.

Today I shot the S&W Sigma, the Ruger Mini-14 and the S&W iBolt. I screwed up by forgetting to bring the special adjustment tool for the trigger pull on the iBolt. It was set for minimum pull which I found much too light for my liking.

Tomorrow (if the weather cooperates) we will be shooting the big gun...the Armalite sniper rifle on the 1000 yard range. The weather report does not look too promising for tomorrow but in this part of the country it can go either way so I'm hopeful.

Just kinda posing for a picture here...we were packing it in at this point.

We drove around and looked at the other ranges before leaving. This is the best outdoor range I have ever been to. They have everything you could want in a range. I am looking forward to shooting silhouettes tomorrow.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2012, 12:30:16 AM »
Good shooting tomorrow!
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2012, 01:20:07 AM »

We're thinking about you, ...no envy at all, nope, none. 
Good weather and good shooting tomorrow.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2012, 09:47:43 AM »
I heard there was one out there that as semi-auto. My coworker told me of it. I don't remember the manufacturer though. ::thinking::

There's another player in the semi-auto shotgun market, and one that shows some promise: http://www.alliancearmament.com/Origin12gaugeShotgun.aspx They make a nice looking weapon, although I understand that, like any first-gen design it has a few issues to iron out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSlhePWitOA

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2012, 09:54:51 AM »
It rained overnight but there's some sunshine right now so we are headed out to the range. We may not get a full day if the weather returns but we'll get at least a half day it looks like.