Author Topic: Personal Firearm(s)  (Read 4397 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Re: Personal Firearm(s)
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2012, 04:41:39 PM »
Got to the range at about 9AM and started zeroing the scope out at the 600 yard mark on the 1000 yard range. It took a long time to get it right but at the end I was able to get the round in the center ring in one shot.

Very impressive weapon: Armalite AR-30 shooting the .338 Lapua round...the shell is as big around as a Sharpie marker and they cost about $4 each. Almost no recoil at all...or about as much as I feel from my AR-15. This is made possible by the massive muzzle break on the end of the barrel.

Careful consideration had to be taken as to the position of a spectator because of the shock wave coming off of the muzzle break. Also hearing protection was very important...I had ear plugs and the headphone-style protectors on.

Armalite AR-30 At The NRA Whittington Center In Raton, NM

This next video was shot by me. Gun owner is shooting the rifle, again, at the 600 yard mark.

Armalite AR-30 (rear view)

As I post this we are waiting for some rain and overcast to (hopefully) pass so that we can go back out and shoot some other things. We have a few more hours of daylight left before we have to give up. It's pretty goofy...there is sunlight all over the place except at the range where there are dark clouds and some rain.

Next up is some shotgun stuff with the Saga-12 and a 30-round drum...then some AR-15 silhouette shooting and possibly some more handgun work.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 05:16:01 PM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2012, 04:44:43 PM »
That is a very nice range.  You also win for "Most Realistic Forum Avatar"!
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2012, 05:05:49 PM »
You also win for "Most Realistic Forum Avatar"!

I'm actually not bald and I don't smoke. It's a shame that it was cold and windy, though, because I chose a shirt to match the avatar.

The rain has picked up along with lighting and thunder. We are going to go back before the day is out, rain or not, and utilize some of the ranges that have a roof over the shooting area.

We have pretty much decided that this is a great road trip and we will be doing it at least once (maybe even twice) more this summer. I think it would make for a great tailgating situation, too, so the portable barbecue will be a part of the next visit. I am thinking that the shotguns will need to be a part of the next trip, too. They have a very nice trap and skeet area plus a shooting clays area.

Did I mention that our total cost (less ammunition, of course) at the range was $20 each? A truly great experience. I would recommend it to anyone.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2012, 05:54:26 PM »
That's a REALLY nice rifle! ::cool::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2012, 07:18:07 PM »
I can't imagine what it would do to an elk on impact but it couldn't be pretty.

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2012, 09:06:27 PM »
Sweet! Looks like some good times right there.  ::thumbsup::

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2012, 09:39:51 PM »
The .338 Lapua has been racking up an impressive record over in Ashcanistan.  I know the Brits use it, and I think US forces do as well. It's a very impressive round.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2012, 11:39:44 PM »
It rained overnight but there's some sunshine right now so we are headed out to the range. We may not get a full day if the weather returns but we'll get at least a half day it looks like.

Beets a good day at work.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2012, 06:24:03 PM »
Beautiful Trap!  Looks like good clean All-American fun was had by all!

::thumbsup::   ::cool:: ::whoohoo::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2012, 06:28:10 PM »
It was a terrific shoot.

Maybe we should put together a IAL shooting weekend there.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2012, 07:00:18 PM »
Sure looks like the place to do it!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2012, 04:03:05 PM »
So I went to the range on the 4th since there was nothing to celebrate in the wake of the supreme court ruling on obamacare, etc.

Earlier in the thread I mentioned that I'd post some range reports so here's the first one.

I had recently rebuilt my Ruger 10/22 with a bull barrel, an after market bullpup stock, a match trigger assembly and some Magpul Mbus sights. The nice thing about this build is that it makes the overall length of the 10/22 a mere 26.5" while retaining/improving the overall accuracy even at longer ranges.

I hadn't had a chance to get it all sighted in so I took it along to see how it would perform. I was expecting to be able to hit a quarter-sized target at 100 yards and I believe this build has accomplished that. I was using open sights and was firing off-hand (though braced) and was able to fire 10 shots within a 3" group with little effort. Had I had a scope I think that the prospect of hitting a quarter at that range would have been well within the capabilities of this rifle.

The second firearm I took with me was my KelTec KSG. It's a radically different design of any other shotgun I've ever fired and it takes some getting used to. But after having gotten used to it, I have found that I REALLY like it. The bullpup configuration adjusts the felt recoil of the weapon so that it pushes straight back as opposed to at an angle (as with conventional designs). This gives the operator the perception of a bit less recoil in comparison to conventional firearms. This, coupled with the compensator I have installed makes it feel just a wee bit less formidable (recoil-wise) than a standard 12ga.

Previously in this thread some of you mentioned that you would put some kind of forestock grip on the thing to help prevent accidental slippage and injury while working the slide. As can be seen from the attached photos I did just that (the device in question is a Magpul AFG2TM - Angled Fore Grip). I've also outfitted it with a red/green dot sight which can still function normally as a sight whether powered or not (it's a shotgun after all - anything in the aperture is going to get hit its just that, in low light situations the red/green dot will allow for easier/faster target acquisition), a Carlson Comps Enforcer compensator and a LED light. It is geared for close quarters and is in fact, my home protection firearm.

At the range it presented no trouble aside from standard 'new gun' break in issues (ie, operator getting used to a new firearm). The action was smooth - feeding was spotty but I attribute that to me not the firearm and loading is not exactly easy. That is made up for by the extra round carrying capacity and I'm confident that with time (improved skill) and use (breaking in the firearm) I'll master that aspect.

It patterned @9" @25yards with some Remington ammo (00 BUCK) I was using.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 04:19:38 PM by BMG »
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2012, 04:22:20 PM »
Heck, I can't even see a quarter at 100 yds  :o

charlesoakwood

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2012, 04:38:17 PM »

Yeah, I can't see the bottom of a coke can at 100 yds.

Good work and a nice rig.  We will need some up dates though.

Offline Miltrainer

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2012, 07:42:43 PM »
looks like you put in some nice money in on that Keltec. Sweeeeet!! ::beertoast::

You want the truth?....You can't handle the truth!