Author Topic: Oregon norovirus traced to reusable grocery bag  (Read 675 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Oregon norovirus traced to reusable grocery bag
« on: May 13, 2012, 02:53:01 PM »
I need to get my bags into the wash more often, I see.

Oregon investigators have traced an outbreak of norovirus to a reusable grocery bag that members of a Beaverton girls' soccer team passed around when they shared cookies.

The soccer team of 13- and 14-year-olds traveled to Seattle for a weekend tournament in October 2010.

At the tournament, one girl got sick on Saturday and spent six hours in a chaperone's bathroom. Symptoms of the bug, often called "stomach flu," include vomiting, diarrhea and stomach cramps. The chaperone took the girl back to Oregon.

On Sunday, team members had lunch in a hotel room, passing around the bag and eating cookies it held. On Monday, six girls got sick.

Oregon scientists determined they had picked up the norovirus from the grocery bag.

Tests turned up the virus on the sides of the bag below the polypropylene handle.

... The germ can spread quickly in places like day care centers, nursing homes, and cruise ships.

Usually, it's transmitted by direct human contact, but can contaminate surfaces. Leafy greens, fresh fruits and shellfish are commonly involved in foodborne outbreaks.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/05/10/oregon-norovirus-traced-to-reusable-grocery-bag/#ixzz1umUvmOvu
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

Re: Oregon norovirus traced to reusable grocery bag
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 03:52:43 PM »

I prefer plastic for cold and vegetable items and paper for dry goods.

Offline EW1(SG)

• Who? Me?
    • EW1's Intercept Log
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 05:11:07 PM »
Need to wash mine more often too.

Have this great mesh bag that can carry almost as much as I can lift.
My doctor told me to start killing people.  Not in those exact words, she said I had to reduce the stress in my life.

Same thing.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 06:12:03 PM »
I better check my Aldi bag...

Not related to bags but bugs, I hear here in Minnie H1N1 is popping up a lot.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.