Author Topic: Extended jobless benefits cut in eight states  (Read 425 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Extended jobless benefits cut in eight states
« on: May 11, 2012, 01:16:13 PM »
More than 230,000 jobless Americans will lose their unemployment insurance by this weekend as reductions in the federal program that provides extended benefits to the long-term unemployed take broader effect.

The new round of reductions is hitting eight states this month, meaning that about 400,000 long-term unemployed Americans in 27 states will have been cut off of the federal government’s extended unemployment benefits program this year, according to an analysis by the National Employment Law Project, which advocates for the unemployed.

The cuts stem from a congressional agreement this year that will reduce the maximum duration of unemployment benefits from 99 weeks to 79 weeks as the nation’s jobless rate declines.

Most states provide 26 weeks of benefits, and the federal government provides the rest, partially through a complicated formula that requires jobless rates to be both high and increasing to reach the benefit limit.

But the nation’s jobless rate has been steadily declining — from 9.1 percent in August, to 8.1 percent last month — causing the maximum benefit period to contract in most states. The extended benefits were reauthorized in February, but efforts by some Democratic lawmakers to adjust the formula in a way that would have kept the 99-week limit intact were unsuccessful.

What the ....... ?  Does no one know how to write anymore?  It isn't the loss of "unemployment INSURANCE" to which this idiot refers, it's the MONEY.  And what "congressional agreement"?  Was there legislation?  What was it?

Oh yeah, *some* Dems were unsuccessful, so, guess who will be getting the blame?

LINK  -- H/T Hot Air

I imagine these people will just be dropped off the radar of unemployment numbers totals as well.  "Look!  The unemployment rate is going down!"
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline BMG

• Established Member
Re: Extended jobless benefits cut in eight states
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 01:23:20 PM »
I imagine these people will just be dropped off the radar of unemployment numbers totals as well.  "Look!  The unemployment rate is going down!"

That is one of the reasons the unemployment number is 8.2%. Otherwise it'd be much higher. If the dems were truthful at all they'd be run out of Washington with torches and pitchforks. They have to lie about it in order to stay in power.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Offline EW1(SG)

• Who? Me?
    • EW1's Intercept Log
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 06:16:20 PM »

That is one of the reasons the unemployment number is 8.2%. Otherwise it'd be much higher. If the dems were truthful at all they'd be run out of Washington with torches and pitchforks. They have to lie about it in order to stay in power.

It isn't just the numbers, I don't think, either.  They've not only managed to make the numbers appear lower, but with debit cards (SNAP) and the like, it is not apparent just how MANY people are dependent on the government dole.  Were we to have long lines at USDA warehouses and at employment offices like they did in the 1930s, I think it would look just as bad.

(Not that I am advocating that we go back to the '30s, of course.)
My doctor told me to start killing people.  Not in those exact words, she said I had to reduce the stress in my life.

Same thing.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 06:49:35 PM »
In Obamaworld unemployed = employed.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.