Author Topic: And just like that... Ron Paul ends campaign for 2012 nomination  (Read 2196 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Ron Paul ends his hunt for votes

Rep. Ron Paul of Texas said Monday he will not compete in primaries in any of the states that have not yet voted — essentially confirming Mitt Romney will win the Republican presidential nomination.

Mr. Paul said he will continue to work to win delegates in states that have already voted and where the process of delegate-selection is playing out. He said that’s a way to make his voice heard at the Republican nominating convention in Tampa, Fla., in August.

“Moving forward, however, we will no longer spend resources campaigning in primaries in states that have not yet voted,” Mr. Paul said. “Doing so with any hope of success would take many tens of millions of dollars we simply do not have.”

He did encourage his supporters to still turn out and vote.

His decision not to compete for new votes in other states leaves Mr. Romney as the only candidate still actively fighting for voters’ support in the 11 states still to vote. That list includes the biggest prizes on the board — Texas and California.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: And just like that... Ron Paul ends campaign for 2012 nomination
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 02:54:01 PM »
O rly.  Did someone make him an offer he couldn't refuse?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Janny

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 03:05:03 PM »
Interesting. If he was concerned about money, he should have dropped out months ago. I wonder if this will deter his lunatic supporters?

Offline Janny

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 03:10:21 PM »
Okay, based on this, the Paulbots over on Facebook are insisting that Paul has NOT dropped out.

read it and see what you think

“As I reflect on our 2012 Presidential campaign, I am humbled by the supporters who have worked so hard and sacrificed so much.  And I am so proud of what we have accomplished.  We will not stop until we have restored what once made America the greatest country in human history.

“This campaign fought hard and won electoral success that the talking heads and pundits never thought possible.  But, this campaign is also about more than just the 2012 election.  It has been part of a quest I began 40 years ago and that so many have joined.  It is about the campaign for Liberty, which has taken a tremendous leap forward in this election and will continue to grow stronger in the future until we finally win.

“Our campaign will continue to work in the state convention process.  We will continue to take leadership positions, win delegates, and carry a strong message to the Republican National Convention that Liberty is the way of the future.

“Moving forward, however, we will no longer spend resources campaigning in primaries in states that have not yet voted.  Doing so with any hope of success would take many tens of millions of dollars we simply do not have.  I encourage all supporters of Liberty to make sure you get to the polls and make your voices heard, particularly in the local, state, and Congressional elections, where so many defenders of Freedom are fighting and need your support.

“I hope all supporters of Liberty will remain deeply involved – become delegates, win office, and take leadership positions.  I will be right there with you.  In the coming days, my campaign leadership will lay out to you our delegate strategy and what you can do to help, so please stay tuned.

For Liberty,

Ron Paul.”

charlesoakwood

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 03:50:45 PM »

Seems pretty straightforward to me.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 04:35:47 PM »

Seems pretty straightforward to me.

Me too. He's going to stop campaigning and is encouraging his followers to work behind the scenes at the delegate level to move the GOP towards a constitutional liberty agenda.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 04:40:18 PM »
to move the GOP towards a constitutional liberty agenda

That's such a crazy idea  ::)

Offline Janny

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 04:50:11 PM »
to move the GOP towards a constitutional liberty agenda

That's such a crazy idea  ::)

Don't be ridiculous. That isn't the problem that (most) conservatives have with Ron Paul, and you know it. There is a reason that Ron Paul was once a Libertarian. He is more libertarian than conservative in his ideology. There is also a reason that he switched to the Republican Party. He couldn't get elected as a Libertarian.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 05:30:25 PM »
I always get confused about the conservative thing.
What is a conservative?

And is the GOP a bastion of constitutional liberty?

Offline Janny

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 05:41:11 PM »
I always get confused about the conservative thing.
What is a conservative?

And is the GOP a bastion of constitutional liberty?

The piece you posted above, written by a Paultard, makes no sense to me, and you can't explain it either. Just suffice it to say that you are obviously not interested in any type of discussion, so I'll just move on. It's not my job to educate you.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 06:03:20 PM »

Don't let the door...

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 06:08:44 PM »
One of us doesn't seem to be interested in discussing it, Janny

It's not my job to educate you.
But, you can discuss it

The issue of what a conservative is has come up here before.
To my knowledge, it has never been defined.
Neocons, Socons and all other types of cons call themselves conservative.

I have major disagreements with Ron Paul.
Especially in foreign policy and lax on immigration

But, I also have problems with the endless wars that many conservatives espouse.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 06:12:30 PM »
As far as I can tell Paul (or his campaign) is realizing (finally!) that he has zero (0) chance of winning in a straight-up race. He isn't going to quit however since he can still throw a monkey-wrench into the works and further advance the prospects of Øbozo.

edit: altard-proofed

Offline Janny

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 06:38:16 PM »

Don't let the door...

I don't like you either. You are one of the main reasons that I don't post much here. You enjoy being deliberately obtuse. The only thing that is more difficult for me to tolerate than downright stupidity is people who are deliberately obtuse, like you and your bud.

See ya 'round, champ! I won't be back. That will no doubt make you happy.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 06:42:04 PM »

That's always the scare, that he could really screw things up.
On the other hand he could help push Romney to the right.

I think he meant what he said in his speech about what he is
going to do as far as why he quit, 'that it would take too much
money' sounds similar to the tried and true 'I quit to in order to
spend more time with my family' type of answer.  It would be
comforting to know he was "bought off" by Romney for the sum
of his campaign debt and the job of Sec of the Treasury.

Oh, Lucy in the sky with diamonds.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2012, 06:48:50 PM »
Perhaps I am the one who is being obtuse but I do not see what AP or CO did or said that justify Janny's reaction/exit.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2012, 07:11:56 PM »
Perhaps I am the one who is being obtuse but I do not see what AP or CO did or said that justify Janny's reaction/exit.

I think Janny got taken over by a Pod some time ago.

Seriously, I think the implications of what is going on are too stressful for some people to deal with. I know I feel that way some days. Janny used to come and share her opinions along with the rest of us, but right before her last departure - and now this one - she seemed more interested in lashing out than in understanding that we're all dealing with the same concerns, our differences in approach and conclusions notwithstanding. We had a similar situation with GScott quite some time ago. Sometimes people conflate strong disagreement with personal animosity, and it goes downhill from there.

Charles, obtuse? That is about the last adjective I would use. So last, that it would never occur to me to use it.

Thanks for your patience, AP, and you too Charles.

Take care Janny. Hope things go well for you.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2012, 07:48:12 PM »
I hope I didn't drive her away.
I neither meant to offend or anger.

But, I will stick to my guns if I feel I'm somewhat correct and apologize profusely when I am wrong
Given the fact that we all care deeply for the country and where it's headed, we don't always agree on the specifics.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2012, 08:39:12 PM »
Still, I would prefer not to lose a member. We have precious few.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.