Author Topic: "Black Studies" programs are frauds  (Read 2623 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
"Black Studies" programs are frauds
« on: May 15, 2012, 10:39:51 AM »
The Undisciplined Discipline

It’s shaping up to be a rough month for black-studies programs; a new turn of the wheel at UNC-Chapel Hill adds credence to Naomi Schaefer Riley’s assertion that it’s time to reassess their value and intent. Academic fraud perpetrated by the head of Carolina’s Department of African and Afro-American Studies, Julius Nyang’oro, has gotten so bad that North Carolina’s State Bureau of Investigation may be called in to investigate. The department seems to have gone rogue, according to a Raleigh News & Observer article:

The findings of an internal UNC probe released this month found 54 classes within the department in which there was little or no indication of instruction. The review also found at least 10 cases of unauthorized grade changes involving students who did not complete their work.

The internal probe began as part of an investigation into abuses in the school’s football program. The spotlight fell on African and Afro-American Studies when it was discovered that a football player had not only received illegal help from a tutor on a paper for one of Dr. Nyang’oro’s classes, but had plagiarized most of the paper (and plagiarized so badly that it was almost impossible not to detect it, though Nyang’oro still managed to do so). Scholarship football and basketball players took courses in the department at an exceptionally high rate — not likely a coincidence.

It also may not be a coincidence that it was the African and Afro-American Studies department in which the corruption occurred; shoddy ethical standards go hand-in-hand with shoddy intellectual standards. Perhaps it’s time to consider dumping all college departments that exist primarily for political, not academic, reasons. Other ethnic studies, women’s studies, gender studies, and climate-change studies spring to mind.

To keep the Black ball-teams playing, they've defrauded these people out of a suitable education.  A few will go on to pro-ball, the rest will have degrees in nothing and no skills.  More Black resentment.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: "Black Studies" programs are frauds
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 11:30:31 AM »
Yeah, that 'Fro-Merican degree is going to pay huge dividends...while filling Slurpee's at the local 7-11...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 08:31:48 PM »
As somewhat of a side point, I think everyone should also stop kidding themselves with the whole "student athlete" nonsense. They should detach these athletic programs from the allegedly scholastic aspect of colleges and universities, and stop pretending their players are there for a solid education.  Who is it helping to pretend that the players on the premiere teams are there to be serious students? It only fuels the creation of phony majors like this.

It's no wonder the super talented leave for the pros after 2 or 3 years of college. As far as I'm concerned we shouldn't have the expectation of even that. Just let them go directly into professional sports and skip the whole perfunctory nod-and-a-wink college experience.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 09:04:07 PM »

They say it brings a lot of money into the college.
I wonder if it brings more money in than it costs,
that is assuming the college pays for the stadium
and not the city or state.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 09:57:53 PM »
My son is finishing his degree at the local black college ( Tennessee state university). He frequently tells me of the black students coming to class and basically sleeping. Every test is graded on a curve to pass these students.

What's sad, because apparantly, getting a passing grade in college is easy, that so called students feel they need such classes to pass......hell, if you show up to class, turn in even bad work, you'll receive at least a c.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 11:32:11 PM »
As somewhat of a side point, I think everyone should also stop kidding themselves with the whole "student athlete" nonsense. They should detach these athletic programs from the allegedly scholastic aspect of colleges and universities, and stop pretending their players are there for a solid education.  Who is it helping to pretend that the players on the premiere teams are there to be serious students? It only fuels the creation of phony majors like this.

It's no wonder the super talented leave for the pros after 2 or 3 years of college. As far as I'm concerned we shouldn't have the expectation of even that. Just let them go directly into professional sports and skip the whole perfunctory nod-and-a-wink college experience.

Can't.   Not tested enough yet.  The colleges are the farm teams.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 11:44:59 PM »
Right, and what I mean is, why does everyone like to pretend that college athletics are somehow anything more lofty than an unpaid farm team? If you took the basketball programs at Duke and Carolina, and made them completely separate entities no longer technically a part of the academic institutions, they would still attract top talent and people would still pay lots of money for merchandise and broadcast rights.

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 11:49:08 PM »
Right, and what I mean is, why does everyone like to pretend that college athletics are somehow anything more lofty than an unpaid farm team? If you took the basketball programs at Duke and Carolina, and made them completely separate entities no longer technically a part of the academic institutions, they would still attract top talent and people would still pay lots of money for merchandise and broadcast rights.
And then what?  Would they pay the top talent?  From whence do the playing fields and stadiums come?  Plus, we're looking at traditional devotion to schools and their teams by the alumnus.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 11:58:51 PM »

I think he was saying they would still be associated with the school
rah rah sis boom bah, however it would no longer be necessary for
them to disrupt the otherwise normal classroom.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 07:41:19 AM »
I'd go for that.  End the Kabuki, bring everything out into the light and junk all these BS degree programs!

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 02:54:37 PM »
Yeah, that 'Fro-Merican degree is going to pay huge dividends...while filling Slurpee's at the local 7-11...

" We gots cherry , lime , an' purple ."  ( That's "grape" dumbass ! )

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 07:05:50 PM »
What's sad, because apparantly, getting a passing grade in college is easy.......

Their obviously not taking any engineering courses....
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 07:20:23 AM »

::hysterical::

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 07:58:37 PM »

::hysterical::

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZRAuRX9Ie0

- Yours Truly