Author Topic: IEDs found in Glendale AZ  (Read 1416 times)

Offline BMG

• Established Member
IEDs found in Glendale AZ
« on: May 15, 2012, 02:39:01 PM »
I just got this from a friend of mine who wishes to remain anonymous. They noted that this hasn't been put out in any news outlets yet and doesn't know if it will. After I post this I'll dig around on the internet and see if I can find anything. Attached is the document I was mailed.

Two Explosive Devices Found in Glendale

GLENDALE, Ariz. – In the past 24 hrs the Glendale Police Department has responded to two separate detonated improvised explosive devices in Glendale. Both explosive devices were housed in a standard 6 volt yellow handheld flashlight (see photograph below). In the two separate incidents, a yellow flashlight was located by a citizen, which had been left outside in the open. When the citizen attempted to push the button to turn the flashlight on, the device detonated. Thankfully, no one was seriously injured in either event, but Explosive Ordinance Experts say that these devices were built to inflict serious injury.

As a standard, these two investigations are being worked by experts from various local agencies as well as federal entities, with the Glendale Police Department designated as the lead investigating agency. Explosives experts are asking that if anyone finds a flashlight left out, no matter what color or shape, which they don’t immediately recognized as their own, to call 911 immediately; DO NOT attempt to touch or manipulate the flashlight in any way.
Source: Glendale Police Department. Glendale, Arizona
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 03:25:41 PM by BMG »
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Offline BMG

• Established Member
Re: IEDs found in Glendale AZ
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 02:47:51 PM »
LINK

Looks legit...

For the strange public-service announcement of the day, the Glendale Police Department urges that you not pick up any random flashlights you find around the city.

Even stranger is the reason why -- two citizens have discovered that the flashlight they found was actually an improvised explosive device.

According to Glendale police those two residents found regular yellow handheld flashlights outside, and both flashlights exploded when they tried to turn them on.

"Thankfully, no one was seriously injured in either event, but Explosive Ordinance Experts say that these devices were built to inflict serious injury," police say in a statement.

Local police agencies are working on the case, but as you can imagine, federal agencies are involved as well.

Just to be sure, if you find a flashlight that isn't yours -- any flashlight -- don't pick the friggin' thing up.

Both of the explosives were housed in the flashlights pictured above, but Glendale police say "explosives experts" are asking that you call 9-1-1 if you find any flashlight, no matter what color or shape.

And this...

LINK

Two separate flashlights converted into explosive devices exploded in Glendale Sunday and Monday, causing minor injuries to the hands of the people who picked them up, authorities said.

And this from a blog...

LINK

TWO IEDs explode in Arizona Sunday and Monday
Did anyone else hear about this?

Two separate flashlights converted into explosive devices exploded in Glendale Sunday and Monday, causing minor injuries to the hands of the people who picked them up, authorities said.

The flashlights have been described as 9-volt yellow hand-held flashlights that were left outside in the open near businesses, according to Sgt. Brent Coombs, spokesman for the Glendale Police Department.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 03:24:54 PM by BMG »
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

- Tacitus

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 12:41:25 PM »
LINK

"They are random and that's the struggle. If I send you a bomb or put a bomb on a car at your house, and you survive the explosion, we're going to talk to you about what's going on in your life, who do you have a beef with, who do you owe money to, who do you have a problem with," asked Atteberry, whose 21-year career with ATF is defined by arson and explosives investigations. "In this case, whoever is doing this is just leaving them for anyone there. He's not even coming out and targeting people who he has a problem with. Our fear is that a child could have picked it up while mom was shopping that day and blew their hand off."

Two of the devices were discovered on consecutive days in mid-May sitting outdoors about 10 miles apart in Glendale, injuring a total of three people. A third flashlight explosive turned up on May 24 at a Salvation Army donation center in south Phoenix where two were injured.

Local police responded to the scene along with ATF agents who began the task of collecting every piece of evidence generated by the bombs, which they turned over to a lab in California where the cases have become the top priority, Atteberry said.
- Patrick Henry

- Tacitus

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 01:45:43 PM »
Someting stinks here!  I smell ObamaBots!

How come no news about who is being targeted, the areas these are being left in!  (Some links don't work for me, not sure if either is mentioned or not).

And no claims made?  Usually groups seeking attention...umm...seek attention.

This smells of wag the dog to me...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 03:44:38 PM »
So far there have been three bombs. Two were found by 'residents' so I assume that means the flashlights were placed near their homes or cars. None of the stories I have read expound upon that. The third was found at a Salvation Army drop site.

And that is correct. So far no one has claimed responsibility.

Below is the type of flashlight that is being used.
- Patrick Henry

- Tacitus

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 08:07:44 PM »
Homes...Salvation Army...

Kids, OWSers, ObamaBots...you wait and see, this isn't one of us!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.