Author Topic: Space X, Texas  (Read 3352 times)

charlesoakwood

Space X, Texas
« on: May 15, 2012, 04:31:54 PM »
elpasotimes.com/texas/ci_20363383/cameron-county-running-space-port

BROWNSVILLE, Texas—Private rocket-maker SpaceX is considering a new Texas launch site near the Mexico border to send commercial spacecraft into orbit.

The proposed Cameron County launch pad is competing with other potential sites in Florida and Puerto Rico, said Gilbert Salinas, executive vice president of the Brownsville Economic Development Council. There is no immediate timetable for a decision.

Three miles north of Mexico, five miles from Padre Island/Port Isabell? Laguna Madre.
Oh man, I going to move.

BROWNSVILLE, Texas—Private rocket-maker SpaceX is considering a new Texas launch site near the Mexico border to send commercial spacecraft into orbit.

The proposed Cameron County launch pad is competing with other potential sites in Florida and Puerto Rico, said Gilbert Salinas, executive vice president of the Brownsville Economic Development Council. There is no immediate timetable for a decision. [/quote]

Three miles north of Mexico, five miles from Padre Island/Port Isabell? Laguna Madre.
Oh man, I going to move.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Re: Space X, Texas
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 04:37:31 PM »
My second home is only about an hour and a half from there.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 08:01:51 PM »

Best part of the Texas coast; good water, good fishing, good birding (all three kinds when in season), oh, and good sailing.  You picked a good spot.

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 08:39:44 PM »

Best part of the Texas coast; good water, good fishing, good birding (all three kinds when in season), oh, and good sailing.  You picked a good spot.

Too bad that once a spaceport is established most of those things will not be allowed for public safety.  Just try and go fishing off shore at Kennedy Space Center (KSC) when there are rockets on pad waiting to launch.
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 07:00:58 AM »
Well...

This thing looks, well...

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/elon-musk-shows-off-spacexs-massive-starship-test-rocket-2019-01-10

...like it's made of tin-foil and Michael Rennie and Gort will spill out of it!

He does go on to say -

That test rocket won’t be flying through space though — it will be used for suborbital test flights. “Orbital version is taller, has thicker skins (won’t wrinkle) & a smoothly curving nose section,” Musk said in another tweet.

The Starship rocket is intended to be a key component of Musk’s plan to land on — and one day colonize — Mars. The plan is for the 100-passenger Starship to be blasted into space by SpaceX’s upcoming “Super Heavy” rocket, which itself may take its first test flight later this year. The Starship will then land on Mars, and take off and return to Earth. Musk has said he hopes to launch a Mars mission by the early 2020s.

I still have fond childhood memories of the Saturn V rocket...what a beautiful and powerful beast!

Now, with NASA more interested in muzzloid outreach and climate cult crap and reducing their presence in the final frontier limited to buying seats on Russian rockets to go to the ISS and shooting a robot off into space here and there, we are left with (mostly) crony capitalists to explore space with humans.

Oh well...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 11:31:32 AM »
https://www.apnews.com/12c890bf9dab4b2293daee41407e1bd3

Docking successful...with a dummy on board...which concerned be at first, I thought "No, they didn't put Biden in space, did they?".  Would have been OK with it though...especially if they left him there...

Know Slow Joe, he would have wanted to get out for a walk...and forgot his helmet! 
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.