Author Topic: Drones over the U.S.  (Read 19267 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: Drones over the U.S.
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2012, 11:48:22 AM »
The operators could be linked by satellite, meaning they could be anywhere.  Drones in Afghanistan are routinely operated from bases in the US.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2012, 12:18:58 PM »
The operators could be linked by satellite, meaning they could be anywhere.  Drones in Afghanistan are routinely operated from bases in the US.

Yeah, this is not an easy problem. I suspect the drones linked via Satellite are surveillance only -- you will have 1-2 second delays in control. If all you are doing is flying, that is fine.
If you have a stationary target, that is fine.  If you are going after live moving objects, you can't target them.  I suspect most domestic operations will have to be a bit closer.

The only way you will take these down is to fly one yourself, and target it. Its possible that with a good enough radar tracking system, you might be able to jam the incoming control  signal/and or launch a EM pulse strong enough to disrupt and fry it -- but I am sure the military models will be EM shielded. -- However, a large enough pulse will still be picked up by the Antenna, and if on the right frequency may do some damage - but you will need a lot of specifics about the command and control  communication, and if its switching frequencies are part of the communication path, it will be hard to target- requiring more power (and faster rise time) in your burst to blanket a spectrum..

The average Joe is not going to be able to do anything about it.  I had a special ops Marine tell me he actually caught someone marking the GPS co-ords of his house.(don't know if he was playing with me or not - Seasoned Special Ops guys will do that)  They also did it as part of the last census. The plan here may very well be to announce that anyone out of line will have their house targeted - you neighbors will be keen to turn you in so they aren't collateral damage.  They may just go with a Serenity "If your target goes to ground, leave no ground to go to" campaign-  its hard to predict if that will inspire the required fear in the sheep, but I think that to do so they would have to do it in Kristallnacht fashion. Targeting and attacking  the "big hitters" they are afraid of ( like seasoned special ops) in a one night all out attack.  Problem with that approach is they immediately draw the  battle lines.  There is no plausible deniability   about who the attack came from or who ordered it.  I still suspect its going to come in the form of a biological agent - the drones, if used, will be to "mop up"

Or there is just the possibility that they really just want to use them for crowd control and surveillance. Bottom line, a law isn't going to stop them if they don't want to follow the law.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2012, 02:41:32 PM »
Well sh*t, nothing to do but yell and shoot as the missile bears down uhh?!

Why did I think these were the portable variety, not the Pentagon issue?!

::facepalm::

::angry::

::cussing::

::unknowncomic::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2012, 02:35:43 PM »
LINK

When drones take pictures of us on our private property and in our homes and the government uses the photos as it wishes, what will we do about it? Jefferson understood that when the government assaults our privacy and dignity, it is the moral equivalent of violence against us. Folks who hear about this, who either laugh or groan, cannot find it humorous or boring that their every move will be monitored and photographed by the government.

Don’t believe me that this is coming? The photos that the drones will take may be retained and used or even distributed to others in the government so long as the “recipient is reasonably perceived to have a specific, lawful governmental function” in requiring them. And for the first time since the Civil War, the federal government will deploy military personnel insidetheUnitedStates and publicly acknowledge that it is deploying them “to collect information about U.S. persons.”

It gets worse. If the military personnel see something of interest from a drone, they may apply to a military judge or “military commander” for permission to conduct a physical search of the private property that intrigues them. Any “incidentally acquired information” can be retained or turned over to local law enforcement. What’s next? Prosecutions before military tribunals in the United States?

The quoted phrases above are extracted from a now-public 30-page memorandum issued by President Obama’s secretary of the Air Force on April 23. The purpose of the memorandum is stated as “balancing … obtaining intelligence information … and protecting individual rights guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution.” Note the primacy of intelligence-gathering over protection of freedom, and note the peculiar use of the word “balancing.”

...which was the intention all along...
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

charlesoakwood

« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2012, 05:02:19 PM »
BMG, ya beat me toit but it bears repeating

... what Jeffersonians are among us today?  When drones take pictures of us on our private property and in our homes and the government uses the photos as it wishes, what will we do about it? Jefferson understood that when the government assaults our privacy and dignity, it is the moral equivalent of violence against us.

It gets worse. If the military personnel see something of interest from a drone, they may apply to a military judge or “military commander” for permission to conduct a physical search of the private property that intrigues them. Any “incidentally acquired information” can be retained or turned over to local law enforcement. What’s next? Prosecutions before military tribunals in the United States?

The quoted phrases above are extracted from a now-public 30-page memorandum issued by President Obama’s secretary of the Air Force on April 23.

They are going all out. It will either be death throes or conquest.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2012, 05:09:21 PM »
The Judge has been leaning more and more right lately.  Extremist!
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2012, 05:21:36 PM »
Quite right CO - it's scary stuff. I point this stuff out to my Mother-in-law and she says it's all cool...just like in England she says. But she can't seem to grasp that the all-seeing eye of technology does not discriminate and if it just 'happens' to see something that bears reporting, oh well.

Recently she and I got into a big argument that my Wife had to break up. She (The mother-in-law) was lamenting Bloomie's recent 'war on sugar' and how that might affect her diet Coke habit. I likened this sugar war to the recent (and ongoing) cigarette war, noting that just as with cigarette's, it is not the business of government to step in. She adamantly defends the war on cigarettes and can not comprehend the relationship with sugar.

Once the camel gets its nose under the tent...yeah, you know.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

charlesoakwood

« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2012, 05:42:09 PM »

Big nanny has been working her way
into hearts and minds for years.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2012, 12:37:35 PM »
We're at that weird phase where the "long train of abuses and usurpations" is pretty evident, and so is the intent behind them, but apparently there is still enough of a plausibility factor to keep even conservatives content. Or perhaps they cling to a threadbare plausibility simply because to do otherwise is to acknowledge things as they are, which then begs the question "so what are you gonna do about it, sport?"  No one likes to admit to themselves that they're being victimized and that they are too afraid to do anything about it. Instead they look for increasingly arcane legal justifications for crap like this, and try to convince themselves "The Founders actually would have been OK with this particular use of government power, because subsection F of Clause 13 of Chapter 9 of this unelected bureaucrat's regulatory code says so."

If you go back to the late 18th century, you can surely find apologists for the Crown explaining away all of the abuses, and claiming everyone is just being alarmist. At some point, some threshold is crossed where it no longer matters which particular action is completely out of line and which action might have some tenuous connection with legality. That technical discernment is no longer important, because it is apparent that they are "pursuing invariably the same Object".
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2012, 12:43:33 PM »
At some point, some threshold is crossed where it no longer becomes important which particular action is completely out of line and which action might have some tenuous connection with legality. That technical discernment is no longer important, because it is apparent that they are "pursuing invariably the same Object".

And even at that point there will be voices urging passivity so as not to give the Regime the excuse to impose martial law.

I imagine some Jews telling their fellows not to over-react and possibly incite a beating as they were marched to the cattle-cars.

We're either going to have to act or submissively accept our chains.  What the enemy chooses to do about that is entirely on them.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2012, 01:26:42 PM »
It seems to me the natural tipping point is some time after it becomes apparent that the potential consequences of decisive action are preferable to the status quo. We obviously haven't gotten there yet. As long as death and imprisonment are deemed worse than burdensome government, the status quo will reign supreme.

Fearing the loss of liberty is enough to have awakened many. But for most people, it will take actually losing liberty in tangible ways that manifest in everyday life.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2012, 05:52:20 PM »
It seems to me the natural tipping point is some time after it becomes apparent that the potential consequences of decisive action are preferable to the status quo. We obviously haven't gotten there yet. As long as death and imprisonment are deemed worse than burdensome government, the status quo will reign supreme.

Fearing the loss of liberty is enough to have awakened many. But for most people, it will take actually losing liberty in tangible ways that manifest in everyday life.

When you are sent to prison for growing a garden, raising hogs, pumping water or speaking your mind, we are at the stage where there is NO ADDITIONAL COST- people are holding out hoping for a peaceful way-  Really for a revolution to happen I think Obamacare needs to be upheld, and Obama either to win, or  to attempt a  scorched earth campaign after he looses.  Otherwsie we will get more "wait and see" while Romney runs things.  Of course there is a good chance of Dollar collapse during that period and how the power that be react to it will determine it in that situation.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2012, 10:49:54 PM »

Yes, if it is so, it won't be a conscious realization and the reaction will be a visceral.
The acknowledgement will be mass awareness at the speed of light.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2012, 08:21:08 AM »

Yes, if it is so, it won't be a conscious realization and the reaction will be a visceral.
The acknowledgement will be mass awareness at the speed of light.

And the PTB's in the leftist movement know this, which is why the chipping keeps happening and yet we still have not reached critical mass as a people yet.  Why?  Will it ever happen without pro-liberty forces taking the lead in illustrating our increasing loss of liberty and the necessary actions taken to end it?  We are where our our Founders were in 1772, all we need is the statists to commit some massacres and we will perhaps see more movement.  But I am weary of waiting for my fellow countrymen to wake up, they continue to slumber in ignorance and laziness....the time for a strong vengeful shepherd is long overdue.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2012, 01:39:56 AM »

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/jun/11/border-agency-overextended-drone-program/

The Homeland Security Department ordered so many drones it can’t keep them all flying
and doesn’t have a good plan for how to use them, according to a new audit the department’s inspector general released Monday.

In a blunt assessment, investigators said Customs and Border Protection's Office of Air and Marine has a fleet of nine “unmanned aircraft systems” and is awaiting a 10th — though it doesn’t have enough ground support and doesn’t have a good plan for prioritizing missions.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/11/12169157-navy-drone-crashes-off-maryland-no-injuries?lite
By NBC News’ Jim Miklaszewski and Courtney Kube

A U.S. Navy drone flying out of Patuxent River Naval Air Station crashed Monday after operators lost contact with the aircraft, NBC News reported.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2012, 06:30:53 AM »

I can't believe the number of people to whom I've talked with that have no problem with the situation because they feel "safer". ::bashing::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2012, 07:38:58 AM »

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/jun/11/border-agency-overextended-drone-program/

The Homeland Security Department ordered so many drones it can’t keep them all flying
and doesn’t have a good plan for how to use them, according to a new audit the department’s inspector general released Monday.

In a blunt assessment, investigators said Customs and Border Protection's Office of Air and Marine has a fleet of nine “unmanned aircraft systems” and is awaiting a 10th — though it doesn’t have enough ground support and doesn’t have a good plan for prioritizing missions.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/11/12169157-navy-drone-crashes-off-maryland-no-injuries?lite
By NBC News’ Jim Miklaszewski and Courtney Kube

A U.S. Navy drone flying out of Patuxent River Naval Air Station crashed Monday after operators lost contact with the aircraft, NBC News reported.

Build up for the declaration of martial law, since Obama has no intention of giving up power if he loses the election...if there is an election...

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2012, 07:39:38 AM »

I can't believe the number of people to whom I've talked with that have no problem with the situation because they feel "safer". ::bashing::

Useless idiots.  Fodder.  Dead meat.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2012, 08:30:29 AM »
Why aren't Bachmann and some others screaming to the high heavens about drones over US airspace?

I have got to believe that the vast majority of Americans have no idea, and if they did, they would be extremely alarmed.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson