Author Topic: Burglaries of House Members  (Read 2089 times)

Offline BMG

• Established Member
Burglaries of House Members
« on: May 16, 2012, 11:27:41 PM »
LINK

Puzzling break-ins over the last month at the offices of at least three House members and several committees have U.S. Capitol Police gumshoes working to find a pattern and the culprits, with missing items ranging from cash and expensive computer equipment to autographed baseballs and alcohol.

In at least four of the cases, thieves broke into the offices at night when doors were locked, leading some staffers to believe they were victims of an inside job.

“The evidence points to someone with access to my office, and other offices in the Capitol complex, as the perpetrator,” freshman Rep. Trey Gowdy, R-S.C., surmised in a letter to the House’s Office of the Chief Administrative Officer.

Other offices hit—many of which handle information dealing with issues of national security, though nothing of a sensitive nature was reportedly taken—include those of Reps. Jerry Lewis, R-Calif., and Jon Runyan, R-N.J.; the Appropriations Subcommittee on Homeland Security; and the Oversight and Government Reform Committee.

Those looking for some common link might note that Lewis serves on Appropriations; Gowdy sits on Oversight; and Runyan is a member of the Armed Services Committee. Also, staffers on the House Oversight Subcommittee on Health Care, District of Columbia, Census, and the National Archives, which Gowdy chairs, reported that $200 of their money went missing during business hours.

There is no mention of any other victims here, just the three outlined above.  The author of this article notes: "Those looking for some common link might note ...". But one very obvious thing the author doesn't note is that all three of the victims listed happen to also all be Republicans...

...curious.

Of course there may be other victims here that just aren't mentioned, maybe to keep some details out of the press in order to verify an admission later if anyone is ever caught or comes forth. But going on just what was written here, it seems odd that the author fails to notice the most obvious 'link' between the victims.

What the significance is of all of them being Republicans is not clear. But I have to wonder how this would be reported if they were all democrats? I wonder if the 'extremist Tea Party' would be mentioned, etc?
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Burglaries of House Members
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 11:29:17 PM »
Nose in the air.  There's more to this than meets the .... nose.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 11:33:06 PM »
Congressional offices don't have... security cameras???
 ::whatgives::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 11:56:22 PM »
Nose in the air.  There's more to this than meets the .... nose.

Good nose.

...missing items ranging from cash and expensive computer equipment to autographed baseballs and alcohol.

So what was worth the risk of committing federal level felony burglary?

I would say that it was the data on the computer equipment. The cash and other items are "cover" for the real target of the theft.

All Republican victims. They should have burgled a token Democrat to provide more "cover."

So...someone's been reading up on Watergate and thinks they can do it right. Wikileaks morons? Or Democrat Party operatives?

Common criminals as the perps simply does not make sense. There are easier (and more profitable) targets with far less risk.

Apply Occam's Razor. Who really benefits from these thefts?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 12:25:51 AM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 12:26:47 AM »
Exactly. Their offices are part of the Capitol complex, not exactly a lax security zone. It's not like any common criminal off the street would be able to burglarize these offices. It's absolutely the work of officialdom of one form or another.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline EW1(SG)

• Who? Me?
    • EW1's Intercept Log
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 06:32:58 AM »

No.
My doctor told me to start killing people.  Not in those exact words, she said I had to reduce the stress in my life.

Same thing.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 06:45:24 AM »

No.

OK then. Next question. Why???
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline EW1(SG)

• Who? Me?
    • EW1's Intercept Log
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 06:53:39 AM »

No.

If you were a criminal, and a Congresscritter, (sorry for repeating myself), would you allow your activities in your own office to be recorded?

Actually, I think the reason most often given is to prevent the unauthorized disclosure of sensitive information.  Which is of course the problem alluded to above.  ;)

ETA:  This is Congress we speak of.  What's good for the goose ain't necessarily going to cut it with the gander.
My doctor told me to start killing people.  Not in those exact words, she said I had to reduce the stress in my life.

Same thing.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 07:11:37 AM »

No.

Sex, bribes...THE USUAL.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 07:18:43 AM »
Nose in the air.  There's more to this than meets the .... nose.

Good nose.

...missing items ranging from cash and expensive computer equipment to autographed baseballs and alcohol.

So what was worth the risk of committing federal level felony burglary?

I would say that it was the data on the computer equipment. The cash and other items are "cover" for the real target of the theft.

All Republican victims. They should have burgled a token Democrat to provide more "cover."

So...someone's been reading up on Watergate and thinks they can do it right. Wikileaks morons? Or Democrat Party operatives?

Common criminals as the perps simply does not make sense. There are easier (and more profitable) targets with far less risk.

Apply Occam's Razor. Who really benefits from these thefts?

Excellent analysis Trap!

If the Repub's are serious about getting to the bottom of this they should hire private investigators with a reputation for success and ruthlessness...prior experience in intelligence field work a plus, black op's/military experience required.

Release the hounds!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 10:20:02 AM »

The weak sisters will do no more than necessary,
they bruise easily, tender fruit you might say.