Author Topic: What would Fox do?  (Read 500 times)

charlesoakwood

What would Fox do?
« on: May 17, 2012, 05:21:06 PM »
Surfing the internet I found this tidbit from the past:
(Buff stadium was home to the minor league baseball team the Houston Buffaloes.)

[blockquote]
6/11/1950 -
                  A man climbs into a roped off area at Buff Stadium that serves as the TV booth and sits down beside play-by-play announcer Dick Gottlieb and keeps interrupting him. Gottlieb repeatedly tries to quiet the man who eventually pulls a gun and shoots himself. The director, informed by a cameraman what has happened, asks to see it and the carnage is shown on screen for a few seconds. The man dies on the way to a hospital. Gottlieb is shaken but not hurt and the game and broadcast continue. [/blockquote]

What! A man commits suicide right in the middle of play by play and they don't
put on Geraldo with a white hankie wiping away tears of tragedy?  They just haul the carcass out of the way and continue the game and the broadcast.  That broadcaster must have needed some form of trauma counseling, how could
he just, you know, continue?  Megan Kelly wouldn't like that at all.  
What kind of coarse world was that?

Offline EW1(SG)

• Who? Me?
    • EW1's Intercept Log
Re: What would Fox do?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 07:23:41 PM »
(Buff stadium was home to the minor league baseball team the Houston Buffaloes.)

[blockquote]
6/11/1950 -
                  A man climbs into a roped off area at Buff Stadium that serves as the TV booth and sits down beside play-by-play announcer Dick Gottlieb and keeps interrupting him. Gottlieb repeatedly tries to quiet the man who eventually pulls a gun and shoots himself. The director, informed by a cameraman what has happened, asks to see it and the carnage is shown on screen for a few seconds. The man dies on the way to a hospital. Gottlieb is shaken but not hurt and the game and broadcast continue. [/blockquote]

put on Geraldo with a white hankie wiping away tears of tragedy?  They just haul the carcass out of the way and continue the game and the broadcast.  That broadcaster must have needed some form of trauma counseling, how could

Huh.  Wonder if the reaction was tempered by seeing the images of WWII only a few years before?
My doctor told me to start killing people.  Not in those exact words, she said I had to reduce the stress in my life.

Same thing.

Offline Miltrainer

Re: What would Fox do?
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 08:05:13 PM »

[blockquote]
6/11/1950 -

Huh.  Wonder if the reaction was tempered by seeing the images of WWII only a few years before?

Well, he was a WII veteran. So I guess he got to see that stuff up close and personal. ::saywhat::
You want the truth?....You can't handle the truth!