Author Topic: Sen. Rand Paul introduces 5-year balanced budget plan  (Read 2191 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Sen. Rand Paul introduces 5-year balanced budget plan
« on: March 18, 2011, 10:59:33 AM »
Guests, feel free to register & join the discussion!

HT: HotAir...

ABC News - Sen. Rand Paul Unveils 5-Year Budget Plan: Eliminates Four Federal Agencies

Senator Rand Paul, R-Ky., unveiled today his five-year path to a balanced budget, leaving several federal agencies behind. Among the items on the cutting room floor are the Departments of Education, Energy, Commerce and Housing and Urban Development.

“There’s a lot of things in here that everybody could agree to, Republicans and Democrats, but nobody’s leading on the president’s side and on our side we felt we needed to put this forward to get the debate started, at the very least,” the freshman Senator explained at a Capitol Hill press conference this afternoon.

The proposal also calls for the repeal of “Obamacare,” but leaves entitlements untouched.

“There’s an argument for every federal program up here… Nobody’s coming up here asking me for money that’s not for a good reason. But the alternative is that we get into a point of financial disaster where nobody gets any money,” he said.

According to Paul, a Tea Party conservative, the proposal will bring spending to the “historic average since World War II” in just one year. He further claims the budget achieves a $19 billion surplus by FY2016 and will bring all non-military discretionary spending back to FY2008 levels.

Paul’s proposal gained support from freshman Senator Mike Lee, R-Utah, who today challenged anyone who opposes the plan to come up with a better option.

“There may be some in this town who will disagree with the manner in which we’re proposing moving toward a balanced budget over a five year period. That’s fine, that’s understandable, that’s what this town is about... but to those who may disagree with it, to those who might want to attack it. I would ask that they come up with their own five year plan,” he said at the press conference.

As for the sweeping cuts, South Carolina Republican Jim DeMint said balancing the budget requires “letting things go” back to the state level.

“There are functions and departments at the federal level that need to be devolved to the states. Part of balancing the budget is restructuring and devolving federal functions back the states, local communities and people,” he said.

DeMint said he did not agree with “every particular thing in here,” but stressed the importance of balancing the budget.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 11:04:20 AM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

Re: Sen. Rand Paul introduces 5-year balanced budget plan
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 11:12:31 AM »

Wonder how close he and Ryan are on these budgets? 
Concurrence would create an awesome two-sum.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 11:15:18 AM »
DeMint said he did not agree with “every particular thing in here,”

What's not to like?  Unless he wanted the EPA added, which I vehemently do, but I'll take it.

They get to the EPA and the entitlements next go 'round.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 11:16:08 AM »

Wonder how close he and Ryan are on these budgets? 
Concurrence would create an awesome two-sum.

It would behoove them (and thus, us) to coordinate, wouldn't it? One can only hope.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 11:22:21 AM »

What's not to like?  Unless he wanted the EPA added, which I vehemently do, but I'll take it.

It does little to deal with systemic insolvency, like the debt, unfunded entitlements, etc. But if they could balance the budget in 5 years by getting rid of entire agencies, voters would forgive them kicking entitlements down the road. Not saying that's good, just that it would happen. It would position the GOP for more gains in 2012.

But of course we know this is going absolutely nowhere because of Harry Reid and Barack Obama (or for that matter, because of John Boehner and Eric Cantor). It does give voters a chance to see that by shrinking government through the elimination of agencies that are becoming increasingly unpopular, we could actually balance the budget. That's worth something politically. Let the Left argue against what makes sense. It's what they always do anyway, and the harder it is for them to justify the unjustifiable, the more they reveal themselves in wailing and teeth-gnashing.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 11:29:50 AM »
Agreed.  There are things I'd like to see added, and it kicks the entitlement can down the road again, but we have to start somewhere, might as well be here.

On a cautionary note, we know full well that asking for specifics from detractors of cuts...the democrats, MFM, unions and other special interests...is not going to happen.  They'll demonize Republican's for extreme right-wing and draconian cuts that irresponsibly kick American's to the curb to die blah blah blah...and the only answer they have is more class warfare...the eeeevil rich (those making more than the fricken poverty level) have to pay more!!!

Knee-jerk MFM ad hom in 3...2...1..
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 11:53:52 AM »
Some more ammo they should be able to use to counter expected Proglodyte attacks...

In cutting the defecit, American's prefer spending cuts to tax increases...83% for cuts...71% against taxes!

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/business/taxes/march_2011/20_would_pay_higher_taxes_to_reduce_deficit

::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 06:08:33 PM »

What's not to like?  Unless he wanted the EPA added, which I vehemently do, but I'll take it.

It does little to deal with systemic insolvency, like the debt, unfunded entitlements, etc. But if they could balance the budget in 5 years by getting rid of entire agencies, voters would forgive them kicking entitlements down the road. Not saying that's good, just that it would happen. It would position the GOP for more gains in 2012.

But of course we know this is going absolutely nowhere because of Harry Reid and Barack Obama (or for that matter, because of John Boehner and Eric Cantor). It does give voters a chance to see that by shrinking government through the elimination of agencies that are becoming increasingly unpopular, we could actually balance the budget. That's worth something politically. Let the Left argue against what makes sense. It's what they always do anyway, and the harder it is for them to justify the unjustifiable, the more they reveal themselves in wailing and teeth-gnashing.

Yes, it does nothing to deal with the entitlements.  Did you really expect them to go there right out of the gate?  Despite the fact that, yes, this goes nowhere, and there's no reason at all why the entitlement issue can't be taken up within five years, it's a good sign to me that they started somewhere.

So, it fails?  Fine.  Rinse and repeat.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 06:12:25 PM »
Plus it just shows us what Rand Paul is made of, and what we can expect from him as a Senator. I'd say "bold" is an adjective that jumps right out at me.

- Thomas Jefferson

hemm

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 07:36:46 PM »
Plus it just shows us what Rand Paul is made of, and what we can expect from him as a Senator. I'd say "bold" is an adjective that jumps right out at me.

And we need more like him.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 08:12:59 PM »

...It does little to deal with systemic insolvency...

WaaaI don't understand. If it balances the budget, that's like "we've stopped the bleeding", right? Seems that's the first thing that needs to be done. 

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 09:06:01 PM »

...It does little to deal with systemic insolvency...

WaaaI don't understand. If it balances the budget, that's like "we've stopped the bleeding", right? Seems that's the first thing that needs to be done. 

The budget is one thing, and it's a good first step. But it's arbitrary. They could balance it right now by cutting spending, raising taxes, or any combination of the two. A balanced budget in and of itself does nothing to reduce the overall debt, and nothing to make entitlement programs solvent into the future.

My only point in the comment was that insolvent entitlements are the driver of the multi-trillions in unfunded entitlement liabilities, and simply balancing the budget by cutting agencies while leaving the entitlement problem untouched will do nothing to address that specific problem. In my view, the insolvency of Ponzi entitlements and the debt they promise is the problem that threatens the country more than anything.

I agree that it would be a good first step. But it's too bad that Rand Paul will be painted as an extremist by the Democrats and some within his own party, and this will go nowhere. He'll get the "he's using an axe when he should use a scalpel" treatment, and Reid will never let the bill advance to the floor. Boehner and Cantor will make noise about how they are in agreement, and when it comes time to do something concrete, it will be stuffed.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 10:26:10 PM »
They can snipe at it all they want. The fact of the matter is that if we maintain our present course, we're literally going to have no money to spend -- neither borrowed nor printed.

If we actually had a media, they would be continuously pointing out that for all their criticisms of proposals like this, the Democrats have produced precisely jack sh*t as an alternative. Every journalist worth their salt would be asking them "How does your party propose to solve the fiscal crisis?" The best we can get out of the Dhimms is some variation of "Uhh, there's actually not even a crisis! It's just a fiction invented by anti-government extremists to justify cutting the programs that keep children and the elderly from living in the gutter. Besides, there's always plenty of untapped wealth for us to stake a claim to. All money is ours by default!"
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 10:38:28 PM »
Rand may be an improvement over his old man.
I like Rand

charlesoakwood

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 10:49:15 PM »

Everyday we should take something back. If Paul wants to take this back today good, let's take it and eat it and fortify ourselves for tomorrow. For tomorrow we shall take something else. And the next day and the next. Every day a positive day for the people; one more return sometime large sometime small.

It seems like we are forming an inward looking circle.  I think we agree a balanced budget is a first step.  But you say that it "does nothing to reduce the overall debt". The spending must be stopped before you can start accumulating.  Because it doesn't hit any pleasure buttons does not disqualify it or give cause to grieve it.

The avoidance of the entitlements is an artful maneuver, it is a "scalpel",  and the dullard Republican leadership should aggressively take this offering to the Democrats and the public.  Entitlements are the "holy grail" of the Democrats and he does not touch them (if the Democrats had something like this they would grind McConnell and Boehner to a pulp) and he still accomplishes the goal. Brilliant. Kudos.

Paul's presentation is about as palatable as a balanced budget can be.  Pressure can be applied to the pusillanimous leadership without causing them to risk of being shouted down as bigot or anti-children, poor, or what have you, thus allowing them to stay in their comfort zone.  Naysaying it instead of encouraging it is  a circle being formed.  Paul should be thanked and everyone's Senator should be encouraged to be a sponsor and to vote for it. 

As for as "Harry won't let me bring it to the floor", In my heart of hearts - That's Crap.  We've witnessed what they have done to Bachmann in the House and we've read how Bachmann is right and they are shunning her and screwing us with lies. We have also witnessed Senator Byrd and his book of Parliamentary Procedure.
I cry foul to them and say fie.  It won't be done only because they don't want it done.  PUSH FORWARD

/ ::rant::