Author Topic: So How Do You REALLY Get Rid Of The Fat Around Your Middle?  (Read 1321 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
First of all toss out any and all herbal and/or natural methods of achieving a fat free middle. They are scams. (I hate herbal remedy salesman almost as much as I hate hippies.)

Well, there is always liposuction. Which is invasive, painful, expensive and fraught with the risks of any hospital procedure. I mean, it works, sure, but what a hassle...it's surgery.

While I was bumping around the internet today I stumbled upon an article (with video) on something called "cold sculpting."

This procedure is non-invasive (not surgery) fairly inexpensive (by comparison) and permanent. Cold sculpting takes advantage of the fact that fat cells will freeze (and die) at a higher temperature than skin and other cells and tissues that surround fat cells. A device is placed on the area that you want to permanently rid of fat for about an hour. There is some feeling of numbness but no actual pain. The fat cells die over the course of several days following the procedure and that's it. A person could require several procedures to remove all of the fat from the mid-section but once done it's really done and the fat does not return.

Here is the link to the article (with video) where I found this.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

charlesoakwood

Re: So How Do You REALLY Get Rid Of The Fat Around Your Middle?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 08:35:53 PM »

It's not for weight reduction but for "spot removing", too bad, I think that's a tell.

I'm game for about 25lbs of lipo.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 09:05:29 PM »
Several years ago I had packed on too many pounds and decided enough was enough. I only made two real changes to my diet: I cut out all sugary drinks and drank water only, and eliminated side items like french fries from my entree. I also started walking 3-4 miles a day.  I lost about 40 pounds in 3 months.

I was disciplined for several years and maintained. Lately some of those bad habits have returned and it's time to get serious about it again. I guess my point here is that simple walking is seriously effective exercise, and it doesn't stress your joints.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 09:21:11 PM »
It's not for weight reduction but for "spot removing", too bad, I think that's a tell.

My weight is just about right but I have the fat around the middle. The next time that I have a couple of thousand to play around with I might get this done.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 09:32:09 PM »
Wow, $700-$1500 is pretty reasonable.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 11:27:31 PM »

My weight is just about right but I have the fat around the middle. The next time that I have a couple of thousand to play around with I might get this done.

It's not a tell. 

Abdominal/waist fat is notoriously difficult, if not impossible, to drop.  My weight fell to 87 lbs the last time I had a flare and I could STILL pinch an inch on the belly.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 12:55:17 AM »
Wow, $700-$1500 is pretty reasonable.

Yeah, but as I read this that price is per treatment and you would presumably need several. Perhaps four or maybe even six to get the job done. So it's less expensive than liposuction but not cheap either. I guess you could look at it as what you would spend for a really expensive computer setup.

I would have to think about it. For me it would be a choice between that and lasik eye correction. They cost about the same. Which to get first.

Probably mrs. trapeze would go first for both of those procedures.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 09:42:30 AM »
Lasik transformed Mrs. IDP's life. She was so blind, we decided to look into it the moment we heard they were abandoning the scalpel for this procedure and using a laser. A month later, she had her appointment, and the next day, she could see.

Since we did it early in Lasik's technological infancy, we paid the premium price. Just under $6000 when all was said and done, if I remember correctly. Within a year, the price was half that. That stung a little bit, but then again, what is the value of being able to see? She went from being a degree away from clinically blind without glasses or contacts, to 20-20 vision - in a day.

That's miracle stuff, that.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 11:37:24 AM »
Several years ago I had packed on too many pounds and decided enough was enough. I only made two real changes to my diet: I cut out all sugary drinks and drank water only, and eliminated side items like french fries from my entree. I also started walking 3-4 miles a day.  I lost about 40 pounds in 3 months.

I was disciplined for several years and maintained. Lately some of those bad habits have returned and it's time to get serious about it again. I guess my point here is that simple walking is seriously effective exercise, and it doesn't stress your joints.

If I give up sugary drinks (cola) I'll fall flat on my face...only way I can get caffeine...coffee is just too bitter no matter what you add to it and tea leaves me thirsty...

I'd like to get this personal floatation device around my middle whittled down...I'm probably 40 over where I should be...I've managed not to gain any more by not so much giving up what I like but by eating smaller portions...instead of a full NY strip, I'll eat half today and the other half tomorrow...while trying to have full portions of veggies...so for now I am level.

Winter is the worst for me...just not into winter sports, tried the gym thing and don't like it...it's bad enough I have to smell myself...and I don't care how many times Joe Sweat wipes down that machine...I'm still grossed out.

I'll do some light weight work and I have my punching bag in the basement that is a nice tension reducer and I get some exercise benefit from that.  Now that it is warm I can do more walking, swimming and golf...and the ever-present yard work at the lake - mowing, cutting/stacking wood, weeding, moving crap around and chasing my nephews.

I figure when the crap hits the fan I'll burn that belly fat off fairly quick. If not, I'll croak sporting a gut.

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 11:41:14 AM »
Lasik transformed Mrs. IDP's life. She was so blind, we decided to look into it the moment we heard they were abandoning the scalpel for this procedure and using a laser. A month later, she had her appointment, and the next day, she could see.

Since we did it early in Lasik's technological infancy, we paid the premium price. Just under $6000 when all was said and done, if I remember correctly. Within a year, the price was half that. That stung a little bit, but then again, what is the value of being able to see? She went from being a degree away from clinically blind without glasses or contacts, to 20-20 vision - in a day.

That's miracle stuff, that.

Lasik worked really well for my sister.  My vision isn't that bad...I am near-sighted, but I only need glasses for distance mostly...driving, seeing the TV better, that kind of stuff.  I think most give free consulations to see if you are a good candidate for the procedure.  Maybe someday...Good Lord willing and the crap don't hit the fan.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 07:12:41 PM »
Good Lord willing and the crap don't hit the fan.

Somebody said "the Good Lord willing and the river don't rise" to me yesterday.  I hadn't heard that in a dog's age.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 07:25:45 PM »
....coffee is just too bitter no matter what you add to it...

Have you tried hazelnut creamer? Coffee-Mate is my brand.

I don't love the taste of coffee. If I have a choice between black coffee or no coffee, I choose no coffee. But hazelnut creamer has me drinking a 24 oz cup o joe every day. Absolutely cannot envision a day without it. It makes coffee sweet and yummy.

I've also figured out a way to mitigate the calories/carbs too. The regular stuff is full of fat, sugar, and empty calories. So I get a container of fat-free, and a container of sugar-free, and mix them. That way each serving has half the fat and half the sugar of the regular, and it tastes indistinguishable.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 07:28:55 PM by IronDioPriest »

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 10:35:17 PM »
I can't stand coffee.  BUT recently had a cup of Hawaiian Kona coffee that made me think--this is why people like coffee--very mild.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 08:07:01 AM »
Good Lord willing and the crap don't hit the fan.

Somebody said "the Good Lord willing and the river don't rise" to me yesterday.  I hadn't heard that in a dog's age.

Heh, I thought that was a "coons age"?   ;D

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 08:09:37 AM »
....coffee is just too bitter no matter what you add to it...

Have you tried hazelnut creamer? Coffee-Mate is my brand.

I don't love the taste of coffee. If I have a choice between black coffee or no coffee, I choose no coffee. But hazelnut creamer has me drinking a 24 oz cup o joe every day. Absolutely cannot envision a day without it. It makes coffee sweet and yummy.

I've also figured out a way to mitigate the calories/carbs too. The regular stuff is full of fat, sugar, and empty calories. So I get a container of fat-free, and a container of sugar-free, and mix them. That way each serving has half the fat and half the sugar of the regular, and it tastes indistinguishable.

If it tastes "nutty" not sure I'd like it.   ::saywhat::

I haven't done a non-stop haul across country in while, but when I do those I often put my tastebuds aside and chug down those little cans of espresso...damn they taste nasty, but enough caffeine to keep me juiced up.

::outrage::