Author Topic: Test of Fire:  (Read 1783 times)

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Test of Fire:
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 03:43:24 PM »
Very powerful.

You know, I am very glad the Catholic Church is standing up for religious freedom. But I'm compelled to say that whatever moral authority it has for doing so is seriously undermined if not mortally wounded by its decades-long or perhaps even centuries-long abdication of that responsibility, and tolerance of hypocrisy in the Church, both clerical and lay.

When you are a church that recognizes the sanctity of life, the sacrament of marriage, and the moral directive of charity, yet you tolerate or even celebrate within your ranks those who seek to systematically kill infants, pervert marriage, and redistribute wealth without a moral component, then you've lost authority to bitch when those same people begin to seek your destruction.

Let's hope it's not too little too late. Only God knows. I don't claim His judgment, but if I had to draw a conclusion, I would surmise that He is not happy with "churches" in general right now.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 05:20:34 PM »
I hope they are buying lots of ad time!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 06:24:21 PM »
I am glad to see this. But are any of these Catholics going to question their support for the Democrat Party in general? For generations they have supported Democrats. For a long time they have allowed their mission of charity to be perverted by ideological Marxists into the idea that charity equates to empowering the state to take from some in order to give to others.

Look, I hope this has been their wake up call. I am glad to see it. I just hope they are willing to see the larger picture, to recognize that this has all been generations in the making and they have in so many ways empowered the very forces that now threaten them.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 06:42:31 PM »
Test of Fire: Election 2012 (Official HD Version - Catholic)

This is great.

No person is perfect, no organization is perfect but when that person or
organization moves to better itself and others it should not be impugned
for its imperfections but bolstered in its efforts for betterment.

Today Catholic Church and some well known Catholics are the bravest and
most outspoken toward the enemies of America; I will stand with them.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 07:19:31 PM »
I'll stand with 'em insofar as they understand their mistakes of the past and move to correct them. But an honest look at the situation demands recognition that the church is culpable for the situation in which it now finds itself. It's a little bit like having an affair for 30 years and then trying to make amends after you get caught. You might receive that grace, but it's going to come with a healthy dose of skepticism and mistrust. Are you making amends because your busted, or because you've had an attack of conscience? Logic points to the former.

If it takes the impending reality of losing the very concept of religious freedom to awaken the church to its abject failure to protect it, then I guess it's better late than never. But I can't stand in complete solidarity until the church corrects course for reasons aside from simply "getting busted" for its infidelities.

If they want to protect religious freedom, they need to excommunicate people like Pelosi, Kerry, Kennedys, etc. They need to defrock clergy that teaches anything other than sanctity of life and family. They need to get out of bed with governments. Until they do those things, all I'm saying is that they do not stand on morally authoritative solid ground to protect the freedom they say they want to protect.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 08:11:03 PM »

We (all of us) didn't fall from Grace over night
and we're not going to recover over night.  If we expect some
immediate relieve from this hellishness there will be great
disappointment.  

The Church has done some stupid things each of our forefathers
has done some stupid things.  The Catholic church didn't cause
all this stuff to happen by itself and whatever failing they have
is found in protestant churches also, personally, I think moreso.  
Protestant churches are given a pass because "they"are "them".
They have wife swapping ministers, they have faggot pastors,
they are also pederasts, they comfort the communists, and
promote New World interpretation of the Word.  
They are not a target.  

The Catholics hold themselves to a higher standard which goes against
the New Religion and the New Protestant Church of Man.  They are a
target, we are a target.  Are we to hold them in contempt until they meet
our expectations of propriety?  If they are willing to forgive me my mistakes
I am willing to forgive them theirs, then we may go forward together.

If I go to a Crusade I want to go with a Catholic.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 08:15:25 PM by Charles Oakwood »

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 08:37:49 PM »
I basically agree with what you're saying Charles. I'm just noting that the church's reactionary outrage has a muted impact because of its heretofore willingness to embrace that which now attacks it. Their effort to back-pedal now and try to secure religious freedom cannot help but appear to be motivated by pure self-preservation rather than a sudden attack of conscience. That doesn't mean they shouldn't do it, and it doesn't mean I don't support them.

...Like someone who smokes cigarettes for 50 years and then gets lung cancer. You feel terrible for them, you want them to get better, you help them how you can. But you don't do so without a simultaneous acknowledgment at least within your own thoughts that the person brought it upon themselves through poor choices.

Because of the church's role in supporting that which now threatens it, instead of supporting the Catholic Church because it has been a stalwart ally in the fight for liberty, justice, and morality, I can only say, "the enemy of my enemy is my friend."

I will be their ally, but not without clarity.

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 08:49:00 PM »

Because of the church's role in supporting that which now threatens it, instead of supporting the Catholic Church because it has been a stalwart ally in the fight for liberty, justice, and morality, I can only say, "the enemy of my enemy is my friend."

I think I missed something.  Those who produced this video or/and Bill Donohue and the Catholic League, who is/are back peddling?

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 08:56:26 PM »

I think I missed something.  Those who produced this video or/and Bill Donohue and the Catholic League, who is/are back peddling?

No, I'm speaking of the moral authority of the church. The ad is great, as I said. I'm on board with the message, as I've said. I'm just not going to pretend like the Catholic Church did not bring this down upon itself, because it did. If they want to fight for religious freedom now I'm all for it. All I'm saying is that they have less moral authority to do so than they otherwise would if they had not institutionally embraced the enemy that now attacks them.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 09:09:59 PM »
Also, I do not agree that the Catholic Church is being singled out. This is an assault against the whole of Christendom. The Catholics are currently front and center with this because the whole Sandra Fluke nonsense emanated from Georgetown University, a Jesuit institution. But the exact same demands, via Obamacare and Komissar Sebelius, are being made on every hospital, school, and university associated with a Protestant denomination, and those demands are no more tolerable to them.

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 09:44:13 PM »

I am not aware of any Protestant institution speaking out.
I am aware of many Protestant institutions who are hand
in glove with the transformation of Christendom.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 10:23:32 PM »
IDP, I read your posts to this point several times and something about them bothered me. I reread the posts again and this comment is the one that bothered me the most:

But I'm compelled to say that whatever moral authority it has for doing so is seriously undermined if not mortally wounded by its decades-long or perhaps even centuries-long abdication of that responsibility, and tolerance of hypocrisy in the Church, both clerical and lay.

If I replaced the Catholic Church as the subject with the United States I think it is treading close to the argument the leftists make about the US of A.

"...that whatever moral authority it the United States  has (through its founding documents) for doing so is seriously undermined if not mortally wounded by its decades-long or perhaps even centuries-long abdication of that responsibility (through tolerance of slavery, racism, abortion), and tolerance of hypocrisy in the country, both clerical and lay in its three branches of government and in its voters.

And a few other asides I want to comment on:

If it takes the impending reality of losing the very concept of religious freedom to awaken the church to its abject failure to protect it, then I guess it's better late than never.
  That sounds like human nature.  I don't know of any organization run by human beings that hasn't fallen into this or come periously close.  Goodness knows the Jews were given to becoming victims of their own failings numerous times but were given  mutiple chances as were Jesus' own followers to correct their mistakes and maybe become stronger. I've never heard anyone suggest that the teachings of the Old Testament Jews should be dismissed because they failed many times. I'd have a hard time dismissing the words of the prophets or Jesus' disciples simply because some in the group/organization messed up or fell into sin.  I feel the same way about the founding documents of the United States.  Either you believe in those words or you don't.  If you do then you work to uphold them. And it's been tough for the conservatives as the progressives have held sway for about 100 years. I'm not going to write off this country because all those others didn't do anything or were ineffective.  Because I know many good people who've been fighting the good fight for decades for this country and I believe that the same probably can be said for those Catholics who remained faithful and endured the pain of seeing their faith ridiculed all the while doing the best they could.

and 

Like someone who smokes cigarettes for 50 years and then gets lung cancer. You feel terrible for them, you want them to get better, you help them how you can. But you don't do so without a simultaneous acknowledgment at least within your own thoughts that the person brought it upon themselves through poor choices.
If we condemn the church using that at what point does that argument end? Who do we condemn next?  Because until the 20th century a number of churches formally forbid birth control, divorce , sex before marriage, etc. And the consequences of lifting the taboo has been a sexual revolution that's never abated, serial sexual partners with a rise in STDs, children without two parents raising them, countless broken homes and hearts.   Because much of the pain we all have experienced in our own  families could be attributed to behavior they could have avoided. Who's throwing the first stone?  My brother was catting around and eventually got one of his girlfriends pregnant twice.  He was nasty to me.  He's never specifically apologized to me but he's straightened out his life and I'd trust him to have my back.  Then there's the whole health issue as you allude to with the smoking--could the same be said for any number of diseases?  I have many family and friends who suffer diseases and disabilities their doctors have told them were because of lifestyle choices.  I know so many people who've had knee replacements because they're fat.  In Great Britian you get to suffer for your sin of being fat by not getting a replacement until you lose the weight.

Whoa, I wrote more than I intended, IDP.  Hmmm, I hope it's understood that I'm trying to think through your comments.  Maybe you can clarify where I went in the wrong direction with you comments.  My understanding of the church is that it has certain principles it doesn't give on much like the US is not supposed to give on certain principles (as codified in its founding documents).  Conservatives tend to require perfection in suitable earthly partners and as Christians we know that isn't going to happen.

I don't think we toss out the USA because some prostituted its institutions any more than I'd toss aside the church's assistance and courage on these issues because some within were bad.

::curtsy4::

IMHO. YMMV, yadda,yadda.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 10:49:30 PM »

Well of course they are speaking out. I heard plenty of it leading up to North Carolina's vote on Amendment 1. http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/interfaith-leaders-stand-with-catholics-against-administration/

The sad reality is that many institutions are actively abetting the transformation of Christianity, and in this regard both Catholics and Protestants bear much guilt.

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 11:30:24 PM »

That's the Anglican's, didn't they just separate from the Episcopal church, joining in which is good but it's not the major Protestant divisions.  The words Methodist, Lutheran, Presbyterian, Episcopal do not appear in this article.  The word are not there because they have been turned. They are hand in New World glove.

The Jewish and Evangelical leaders joined Washington's archbishop in opposing the administration's attempt to require religious ministries – including schools, hospitals, charities, and media outlets – to subsidize contraception, sterilization, and abortion-causing drugs in their health plans.

Yes, there are Protestants working with the Catholics and they, the Evangelicals, are under the gun too.  The opposition choose other tactics to defame Evangelicals such
as "hayseed" or "ignorant".  They attack anyone who makes public effort to proclaim traditional religion.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 07:53:47 AM »

Well of course they are speaking out. I heard plenty of it leading up to North Carolina's vote on Amendment 1. http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/interfaith-leaders-stand-with-catholics-against-administration/

The sad reality is that many institutions are actively abetting the transformation of Christianity, and in this regard both Catholics and Protestants bear much guilt.

Right, wrong or indifferent...the Catholic Church being the largest Christian denomination on the planet should logically bear the proportional weight in fighting those that are out to harm her IMO.  But you are right, there are denominations working for and against Christianity, and often times it appears the latter are winning.  So seeing any pushback from any quarter is welcome and very much needed.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2012, 09:45:20 AM »
It is through law and regulation affecting employment that government seeks to justify its destruction of religious freedom. I think the Catholics are at the forefront because they are the largest church, and thus are the largest religious employer. The Catholic educational, medical, and charitable enterprises make them far and away the primary institution that will be destroyed by an attack against religious freedom.

So it is natural that the struggle would take on a Catholic v Government dynamic. It's not that other churches are not speaking out, although several of the specific denominations Charles mentions are unlikely to do so, since they are churches based upon accommodating Leftist ideology, not the Gospel.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2012, 11:35:25 AM »
Here we go!   ::thumbsup::   ::beertoast::   ::whoohoo::   ::danceban::   ::newyear::   ::bustamove:: 

http://itsaboutliberty.com/index.php/topic,5918.new.html

charlesoakwood

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2012, 01:37:53 PM »

Y'all bring an interesting perspective to the argument about the responsibility
of the Catholic Church.  Throughout American history the Catholic Church and
Catholics were relegated to second tier or suspect status.  Even as late as the
mid-twentieth century Jack Kennedy had an uphill battle to satisfy the Protestant
voters that he would not subjugate himself or this nation to the Pope or Catholic
doctrine.  And now, it's all the Catholics fault, that's amusing.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2012, 01:47:30 PM »

Y'all bring an interesting perspective to the argument about the responsibility
of the Catholic Church.  Throughout American history the Catholic Church and
Catholics were relegated to second tier or suspect status.  Even as late as the
mid-twentieth century Jack Kennedy had an uphill battle to satisfy the Protestant
voters that he would not subjugate himself or this nation to the Pope or Catholic
doctrine.  And now, it's all the Catholics fault, that's amusing.

Are you saying that the Church bent its principles in order to assuage the doubts of Protestant voters?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"