Author Topic: So....anyone buying Facebook?  (Read 2310 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Re: So....anyone buying Facebook?
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2012, 02:11:32 PM »
I don't see it as a penny stock but I stand by my earlier statement that I think it will bottom below $22 perhaps as low as $18. That would represent a more realistic PE ratio. Right now it has a PE of a little north of 92 which is stupid given the issues with future revenue and the "mobile" problem. Granted even a PE ratio of 40 or 50 is still somewhat ludicrous but it's better than 92. If the market completely discounts the hype of the FB brand then the price could go down to maybe $8 or $9 a share. Hard to say.

Either way, a LOT of people are losing their shirts on this turkey.

They should have priced it for the IPO at $10/ a share and let the market (attempt to) bid it up to unrealistic heights rather than have this happen.

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2012, 02:26:39 PM »
I of course put a steep punitive discount on flimsy internet neerdowell outfits, but I agree your idea to price at $10 and go from there would have been the sensible thing to do, but the principles in this wanted their cut upfront and the hype couldn't match the overinflated peg and disaster was all but assured.  The good news is being publically traded their books have to be more open and the filings with the SEC will perhaps reveal exactly what there is to base a fair value on.  But this thing was all about sucking wealth from many to put it into the hands of the few right from the get-go.  Some of the hands that got burned deserved it.  But, aside from bullsh*t penalties I doubt any big fish will fry over how this all went down.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2012, 02:31:05 PM »
Well, the bad news is that crap like this (and it IS crap) is the sort of thing that sours the ignorant on the stock market.

And that's too bad.

It plays into the hands of the OWS idiots and their enablers. It prevents any meaningful privatization of Social Security because...gasp!...people might actually lose money in the stock market. It enables those who want to outlaw risk and restrict the freedom of people to take it.

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2012, 02:39:34 PM »
It is because this highlights the fact that a lot of elements in our "markets" are not fair or open, that cronyism and manipulation is rewarded more than hard honest work...so yes I agree it is bad and fuels our enemies, but it should also fuel our attempts to hold people accountable.  Accountability is sorely lacking.  Corzine is still free, right?  And Falcone.

And by accountable I mean not more damned laws and regulation out of DC, I mean more prosecution of laws already on the books for eons that covers criminality and transparent markets.  But cronies are all throughout the SEC, the money center banks and borkerage houses, exchanges, and the judicial system, not just in politics.

There is a lot of housecleaning to do before full confidence can be restored.  Ask Ann Barnhardt.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2012, 01:15:52 AM »
UK Telegraph sez: Worst. IPO. Ever.

LINK

And...they also say that now that the stock is below $30 and has lost over 20% since its open it will be on the sell list of all of the major investors...

“When something is this broken this quickly, they sell and move on,” said Sam Hamadeh, managing director of US research firm, PrivCo.
Historically, initial public offerings that trade down this quickly don’t ever recover. Brokers have lost quite a bit of money and many will have their own rules about dropping out when it passes that [$30] barrier.”

Very likely true. I wouldn't bet against it.

Today its drop (10%) forced an automatic stop to short selling. Think that might happen again? Tomorrow?

The sad part is that Zuckerburg will always be wealthy. Why sad? Because he got there so quickly and took so few people with him. This is not the story of Microsoft or Apple. Or Walmart. Or any of the dozens of hugely successful publicly traded companies that have improved the lives of millions of people with their products and the jobs they created. Instead, this is the story of vapor...of nothing...and how it made a very, very small handful of people rich and screwed over many thousands who thought they were investing in something real. Not that I am advocating for a bunch of victims, I'm not...they took their chances and they screwed up...that's investing. Instead I am bemoaning the state of things in our country where a big load of crap was successfully sold on the public market as if it was gold. Compared to other (tech) companies, Facebook sucks hind tit. It's a joke. It's nothing. So it's sad that Zuckerburg will always be wealthy, that he will always be treated with the respect of a Jobs or a Gates or a Walton...for so little actually created.

I didn't buy it. I wouldn't buy it. It never made any sense to me as a revenue generator. It still doesn't. And now a lot of other people are realizing it. Facebook is supposedly busy right now as i write this, desperately trying to buy up some other companies (Opera was mentioned today) and hire a whole lot of engineers to try and do something, anything to improve it's image as a revenue generator. The thought is that Facebook is somehow going to become the next iPhone or Android or something. Good luck. The market is saturated with quality products...innovative products. Unless Facebook can somehow, after entering the market years late, cobble together some kind of gee whiz product that everyone just has to have this will be yet more money wasted.

The brand is tarnished. Probably forever.

Zuckerburg is not Steve Jobs. Zuckerburg couldn't shine Jobs shoes. He isn't capable of waxing Bill Gates' car. He is a one trick pony and he has had his moment. It's over. It was, admittedly, a very profitable moment but that's it. He's done. He will always be wealthy...even an idiot can't spend that much money in a lifetime...but he won't be an empire builder. That notion died with the IPO.

So the big money investors might be fleeing the stock tomorrow. That will drop it another ten plus percent. After that the less sophisticated investors will cut their losses. Or maybe not. Maybe some foolish types will rush in to buy the stupid thing at a "bargain" price. The price will shoot up again...maybe a point or two...but then in a few days (or even hours) the selling will begin as people try and take advantage of a momentary rise to minimize their already sizable losses. But either way it's going to keep going down until it reaches some point where it is correctly valued.

This will be a sad but interesting ride. I could be wrong, of course. The stock could turn around tomorrow or next week and zoom up to $100/share. More likely though, I think, is a slow death spiral down the NASDAQ toilet.

And now a few parting comments for Facebook investors from Otter...

« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 01:43:22 AM by trapeze »

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2012, 01:41:36 AM »
The Telegraph also notes what a cheap ass bastard Zuckerburg is.

How much did he leave as a tip in Rome on at least two occasions? Dean Wormer has the answer:

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2012, 07:38:18 AM »

How much did he leave as a tip in Rome on at least two occasions? Dean Wormer has the answer:

Here's to her taking half his money in a divorce.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2012, 07:52:18 AM »
There should be punitive fines and jail time for fudging the earnings numbers, ahead of the IPO.  Classic pump (with inflated earnings potential) and dump (all the insiders selling to the suckers lined up)

Crap like this just feeds OWS and it's time to adopt a zero tolerance policy for fraud.   ::rockets::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2012, 07:56:31 AM »

Here's to her taking half his money in a divorce.

http://finviz.com/quote.ashx?t=FB&ty=c&ta=1&p=d
She better move quick!

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2012, 10:24:44 AM »
Now below $27 @ 26.93

I wonder how far it will slide before ticking up a little. Except for the first day when it finished up a few cents (by being propped up) I think it has finished lower just about every day.

Perhaps this is the large investors fleeing.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2012, 10:29:29 AM »
Will Facebook even be around in 10 years?  5?  Abstract, ephemeral, pop culture is something you can quickly get rich from if you strike while it's hot, but it's hardly what I would consider an investment.  It's just another Pet Rock.  I'm sure the social networking concept has staying power, but what is there to suggest Facebook will always be the top dog?
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2012, 12:05:13 PM »
It is trying to branch into mobile biz, that might extend their shelf life, but as a "pop" thing their days are numbered, they may have some loyal customers hanging around a while, but survival without growth will push you into irrelevancy, so...viability is short term, and even the short term is kicking their can!

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2012, 12:11:54 PM »
I've never really paid any attention to FB.  How did Zuckerburg make his money?

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2012, 02:35:07 PM »
I think Facebook is it, some smaller projects before it, but nothing would really net him bucks till FB was established.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Zuckerberg

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2012, 03:58:45 PM »
And finishes at 29.6 which is up 5% from open.

That's good. But it will not be the beginning of a trend. I see it as still trending downward...sort of a one step forward and two steps backward kind of thing.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2012, 07:32:13 AM »
Yup.  Could be a bit of dead-cat-bounce action right now before it finds its ultimate resting point.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2012, 10:44:04 PM »
And here we are again with a new closing low of 27.72

The investors must be so happy.

Now this...

...a story with "Facebook sucks" as its central premise.

Since she signed up three years ago, friend requests and status updates are as much a part of Meera Kumar's life as homework and exams at Menlo School, the elite private school in leafy Atherton, Calif., where she's a 16-year-old sophomore.

But when her kid sister Anika turned 13 last year, she gave Facebook a pass.

"I guess I haven't been that interested in it," said Anika, who prefers sharing photos with friends on Instagram via her iPhone or video chatting with them onGoogle+.

Could Facebook be losing its cool?

With more than 900 million users, Facebook remains the most popular online hangout. But some young people are turning their attention elsewhere. They are checking out new mobile apps, hanging out on Tumblr and Twitter, and sending plain-old text messages from their phones. Their goal is to hook up with smaller circles of friends and share their thoughts and feelings away from the prying eyes of Mom and Dad.

It's a very grown-up challenge for Facebook, which needs kids to continue to dominate social networking.

Growth in new U.S. users is slowing, and so far, foreign markets, where nearly 80% of Facebook users reside, have proved less profitable. The Menlo Park, Calif., company is reeling from its shaky start as a public company. The botched IPO has heightened concerns about its business, particularly its undeveloped mobile strategy, as teen use of smartphones and tablets explodes. Fickle young consumers can make and break social networks, as evidenced by pioneers such as Myspace and Friendster whose appeal faded as tastes changed.

Live by the fad, die by the fad.

I seem to remember someone once telling me that the word "fad" originates from the acronym formed by the phrase, "for a day."

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2012, 12:29:19 AM »
LINK

Yesterday Facebook ramped up its efforts to crack down on the number of fake accounts and false ‘Likes’ that plague the world’s largest social network. Now that Facebook is a public trading company, transparency over the true number of authentic user accounts and the authenticity of Facebook likes is more important than ever. If people are going to invest their money in Facebook, they need to know that the quantity of users and levels of engagement are genuine.

Last month Facebook stated that when the crackdown on fake accounts and false likes begins: “On average, less than 1% of likes on any given page will be removed, providing they and their affiliates have been abiding by our terms. These newly improved automated efforts will remove those likes gained by malware, compromised accounts, deceived users, or purchased bulk likes.”

Fascinating. Yet another reason for the price of FB stock to plummet. It has actually managed to crawl back up to 21.66 When the next round of shares are released for sale...