Author Topic: MSNBC "analyst" shoots off mouth about "heroes"  (Read 1271 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
MSNBC "analyst" shoots off mouth about "heroes"
« on: May 28, 2012, 09:56:39 AM »
MSNBC host Chris Hayes finds it contemptible uncomfortable to remember the war dead as heroes.

After all, it will probably just lead to more war.

MSNBC host Chris Hayes finds it contemptible to remember the war dead as heroes. After all, it will probably just lead to more war.

NewsBusters provided the transcript:

CHRIS HAYES: Thinking today and observing Memorial Day, that’ll be happening tomorrow. Just talked with Lt. Col. Steve Burke [sic, actually Beck], who was a casualty officer with the Marines and had to tell people [inaudible]. Um, I, I, ah, back sorry, um, I think it’s interesting because I think it is very difficult to talk about the war dead and the fallen without invoking valor, without invoking the words “heroes.” Um, and, ah, ah, why do I feel so comfortable [sic] about the word “hero”? I feel comfortable, ah, uncomfortable, about the word because it seems to me that it is so rhetorically proximate to justifications for more war. Um, and, I don’t want to obviously desecrate or disrespect memory of anyone that’s fallen, and obviously there are individual circumstances in which there is genuine, tremendous heroism: hail of gunfire, rescuing fellow soldiers and things like that. But it seems to me that we marshal this word in a way that is problematic. But maybe I’m wrong about that.

MSNBC - the hits just keep comin'.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
Re: MSNBC "analyst" shoots off mouth about "heroes"
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 01:41:33 PM »
Another reason no one is watching.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 04:14:58 PM »
But maybe I’m wrong about that.

Ya THINK? Contemptible little twit. ::doublebird::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 09:27:43 PM »
Turds should be flushed...but not at MSNBC...seems like they collect 'em.

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 04:15:57 AM »
And I thought Martin Bashir and Matthews were bad . This kid is the scum de la scum of MSNBC . I hope he keeps tramping on his bag !

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 09:59:34 AM »
We've had discussions before about our side's proclivity for calling everyone who wears a uniform or a badge a "hero". The discussion at the time centered on the idea that in casually assigning the "hero" designation to all, the term loses meaning for those who are truly heroic. I think that's a valid point to remember. Someone who wears the uniform should be thanked and appreciated for their service, but being thought of as a hero by more than ones family or town should be the result of acts of heroism while wearing that uniform - not just for daring to put it on.

Saying such a thing makes my squirm with a bit of discomfort - particularly because I never wore the uniform, and deeply respect those who have - but I think it's the truth, so I say it.

But this puke's objection has nothing to do with bolstering true heroes by accurately applying the word. His only concern is doing away with the very concept of heroism because he thinks heroes are the problem, not the evil that heroes are sent to kill. This makes me sick.

Someone who gives their life in a just battle is the very definition of a hero. There are valiant acts - the stuff of tales and legends - that set some heroes apart from the rest. But giving ones life for a just cause cannot be thought of any other way than heroism according to the definition of the word, both dictionary - and biblical...

[blockquote]-Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.
Jesus Christ
[/blockquote]
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 10:55:14 AM »
I think this guys problem (as well as stymies) is that Memorial Day is to honor those who have fallen in battle, true heroes.  While he may be thinking Veterans Day, which is to honor those who have served.  Not all who have served are heroes but all who have died for our (and his) freedom are in my book are HEROES.
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 11:15:39 AM »
Someone who gives their life in a just battle is the very definition of a hero. There are valiant acts - the stuff of tales and legends - that set some heroes apart from the rest. But giving ones life for a just cause cannot be thought of any other way than heroism according to the definition of the word, both dictionary - and biblical...

[blockquote]-Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.
Jesus Christ
[/blockquote]

But the left has heroes like Bob Dylan and Albright. ::outrage::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 11:37:16 AM »
Oh, here's another vomitous leftist mass they worship -

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/presidential-medal-of-freedom-awarded-to-republican-bashing-chavez-admirer-dolores-huerta/

I wonder what Ted Cruz thinks of this?

Offline EW1(SG)

• Who? Me?
    • EW1's Intercept Log
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 09:37:21 PM »
I think this guys problem (as well as stymies) is that Memorial Day is to honor those who have fallen in battle, true heroes.  While he may be thinking Veterans Day, which is to honor those who have served.  Not all who have served are heroes but all who have died for our (and his) freedom are in my book are HEROES.

Well said.
My doctor told me to start killing people.  Not in those exact words, she said I had to reduce the stress in my life.

Same thing.