Author Topic: Petition to change dictionary’s definition of marriage  (Read 864 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Petition to change dictionary’s definition of marriage
« on: May 25, 2012, 05:43:40 PM »
Dictionaries apparently do have the power to offend.

More than 65,000 people have signed a Change.org petition challenging Dictionary.com to “correct” its definition of marriage to include same-sex couples.

Dictionary.com currently defines marriage as “the social institution under which a man and woman establish their decision to live as husband and wife by legal commitments, religious ceremonies, etc.” and, alternatively, as “a similar institution involving partners of the same gender: gay marriage.”

The petition asks that the definition instead describe marriage as “the social institution under which a man and woman, woman and woman, or man and man establish their decision to live as spouses by legal commitments, etc.”

Mike Raven, the brother of a lesbian, said he started the petition because his sister was offended by the constitutional amendment that recently banned gay marriage in North Carolina.

“If this whole argument comes down to an intangible definition of marriage, then it’s time for that definition to change,” Raven explained at Change.org. “While we cannot change the oppressive and discriminatory way that some religions continue to define marriage, we can go to an even better place. I believe it is time to correct the definition of Marriage at our sources for what words mean: dictionaries.”

According to The Huffington Post, Raven’s target is not likely to change its definition any time soon.

“We recognize that the word marriage is at the center of nationwide debate,” Dictionary.com told HuffPo in a statement. “As we continually seek the best way to convey how all words are being used in multiple contexts, we appreciate all suggestions regarding the description of the current semantic status of ‘marriage,’ and constantly strive to marry the multifaceted strands in a way that is as comprehensive as possible.”

President Barack Obama announced his personal support for same-sex marriage two weeks ago, but the controversial topic remains a divisive political issue throughout the country.

Dictionary.com attracts about 50 million visitors a month, according to the petition.

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: Petition to change dictionary’s definition of marriage
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 05:56:43 PM »

Some folks just live to be offended.

(It's the least that I can do to accommodate them)

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 09:15:06 PM »

Some folks just live to be offended.

(It's the least that I can do to accommodate them)

And how.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 10:06:54 PM »
Why not they've already been successful in changing the definition of "natural born citizen" to mean anyone born in that country from the meaning one whose parents are both citizens of that country at the time of birth.
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 10:18:06 PM »
and don't forget that most offensive thing of all--the constitutional amendment

his sister was offended by the constitutional amendment that recently banned gay marriage in North Carolina.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 08:53:03 AM »
This has been the true goal all along, and we all knew it. They're just attacking the definition from the other end now as well. Rather than just getting court decisions to redefine marriage and then waiting for society to bring its dictionary up to date, why not force the very definition to change and then wait for the courts to fulfill the definition.

It's a brilliant attack; truly inspired by the spiritual enemy of humankind himself. Imagine Satan's evil chortle as he watches the greatest nation on earth move towards a society-wide sanction of the most heinous perversions. He's been there to see its destructive force in people and nations throughout time, whispering moral equivalence into people's minds. He knows what's in store for such a nation, and he delights at the prospect.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 09:16:32 AM »
More than 65,000 people have signed a Change.org petition challenging Dictionary.com to “correct” its definition of marriage to include same-sex couples.

65K? I'd say that's a LITTLE less than a majority. Of course that's never stopped them from forcing their will down out throats before.

That didn't sound quite right. ::puke::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 10:00:06 AM »

65K? I'd say that's a LITTLE less than a majority. Of course that's never stopped them from forcing their will down out throats before.

That didn't sound quite right. ::puke::

They're bottom-feeders.

But then, that might give them some homo-erotic thrills too.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 04:17:39 PM »
We live in a world now that if you're  loud enough, blatant enough and persistent enough you can make enough people hand over their brain to you.

::gaah::

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 10:04:25 PM »
Yup.

Gutless.  Can't stand it!   ::gaah::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 04:01:48 AM »
It will happen . Liberal academics write the dictionaries . Look at Webster's definitions of "conservative" and "liberal" . That tells it all !

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 11:42:33 AM »
About all we have going for us is higher illiteracy rates among leftists vs conservatives.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.