Author Topic: Bloomie launches war on sugar  (Read 3734 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Bloomie launches war on sugar
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2012, 07:35:09 AM »
And hey, if Doomberg's Admin needs some more bad ideas it appears his city comptroller is coming thorugh in spades!

Embattled city Comptroller John Liu has delivered a $16.56 million contract to the former vice president’s environmentally friendly investment firm, Generation Investment Management, to help manage hundreds of millions of dollars in city pension funds, The Post has learned.

The Comptroller’s Office had previously awarded Gore’s firm $12.8 million in pension-fund business under Liu’s predecessor, Bill Thompson.

Since 2009, state Comptroller Tom DiNapoli has approved $6 million in contracts to the firm, co-founded and chaired by Gore. Generation now manages nearly a half-billion dollars of state pension-fund investments, records show. In total, that’s more than $35 million in greenbacks to Gore’s firm.

Liu’s office proposes investment-management contracts to the board of trustees of the city’s five major pension funds. Generation is an investment manager for two of them: the New York City Employees Retirement System (NYCERS) and the Police Pension Fund.

But the Gore connection has been a closely held secret.

One NYCERS trustee said he didn’t even know Gore’s firm was a city investment manager.

“That’s been way under the radar. I was unaware of it,” said NYCERS trustee Gregory Floyd, head of Teamsters Local 237.

http://michellemalkin.com/2012/06/18/gore-firm-pension/

Awesome!  The Goreacle!    ::hysterical::  F.U. NYC!   ::mooning::   ::laughonfloor::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2012, 09:29:50 AM »
"The court has never struck down a health measure that was designed to protect people from unsafe diets or unsafe foods," he said. Whether the ban is on rat poison or on sugar, government is allowed to protect people from themselves, he said.

Uh, there's a problem here:  When the government relies on junk science to "protect people" from themselves, they have usurped an authority they do not have and no longer have the implied consent of the governed.

The whole premise is a problem.  Government does NOT have the authority to protect people from themselves regardless of the friggin science, good/bad/indifferent.

Governments are instituted among men to protect our Constitutional rights.  PERIOD.

You are correct!  People may think that government's "job" but only because it's been allowed.  No one challenged it.

the Board of Health's responsibilities include "the control of chronic disease and food service establishments." She added: "Limiting the portion size of sugary beverages served at New York City restaurants is a valid exercise of these authorities."

::gaah:: ::gaah:: ::gaah::

I would think most people would think disease spread by not washing hands or rats or roaches would be within their allowed responsibilities not whether someone is fat!

I'm sick of these officials that decide the rules then think we have to follow them.  They're supposed to work for us!!!
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2012, 01:34:36 PM »
Silver lining: If Bloomberg had any presidential aspirations, he'd be completely retarded to believe he'd be viable after this.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
LOL Alert: NY Supreme Court Justice overturns Bloomberg's BigGulp ban
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2013, 03:00:30 PM »
Hehe. On the eve of its implementation...

Judge Halts New York City Soda Ban

A state judge on Monday stopped Mayor Michael Bloomberg's administration from banning the sale of large sugary drinks at New York City restaurants and other venues, a major defeat for a mayor who has made public-health initiatives a cornerstone of his tenure.

The city is "enjoined and permanently restrained from implementing or enforcing the new regulations," New York Supreme Court Judge Milton Tingling decided Monday.

The regulations are "fraught with arbitrary and capricious consequences," the judge wrote. "The simple reading of the rule leads to the earlier acknowledged uneven enforcement even within a particular city block, much less the city as a whole….the loopholes in this rule effectively defeat the state purpose of the rule."
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

RickZ

« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2013, 03:15:48 PM »
Gotta luv the NYPost.  From the main page:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/mayor_bloomberg_believes_themselves_enfmR96eplT88TyLQInuoI

"If you go back to the '20s, you see these pictures of the old robber barons with their big stomachs out to here. That was a sign of success," Bloomberg said.

"Today those people are doing pilates and running in marathons and triathlons and if you look at where obesity is in the country, it tends to be in people at the lower end of the economic ladder (who) don't have the ability to take care of themselves as well.

I don't call him Nanny Bloomingidiot for nothing.

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2013, 03:16:49 PM »
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2013, 03:22:21 PM »
Aside from the propensity for this loathsome idiot to direct the lives of citizens for their own damned good, a really sh*tty aspect of this being overturned is the fact that small business owners have already bought new serving cups, thrown away ones they believed were imminently outlawed, as well as discarding "oversized" soda, and purchasing new "properly sized" inventory.

This is a perfect example of why government needs to get the **** out of the way, every single time.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2013, 07:18:08 AM »
Aside from the propensity for this loathsome idiot to direct the lives of citizens for their own damned good, a really sh*tty aspect of this being overturned is the fact that small business owners have already bought new serving cups, thrown away ones they believed were imminently outlawed, as well as discarding "oversized" soda, and purchasing new "properly sized" inventory.

This is a perfect example of why government needs to get the **** out of the way, every single time.
Now they have legal precedent to sue him personally and or the city of New York. He's got plenty and if the POS is that confident of his authority than he should be willing to pay the price if his idiocy. ::rockets::
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2013, 07:41:08 AM »
Got a buddy who has a grandfather in tight with Bloomie, hates it when I go off on that clown, says he's a "moderate", I say "moderate" in that Kruschev was a "moderate" compared to Stalin?  Yeah, he's a fricken "moderate"!

::mooning::

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2013, 10:39:42 AM »
Got a buddy who has a grandfather in tight with Bloomie, hates it when I go off on that clown, says he's a "moderate", I say "moderate" in that Kruschev was a "moderate" compared to Stalin?  Yeah, he's a fricken "moderate"!

Can he provide an example of someone he considers hard-left?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2013, 11:22:40 AM »

Usually a dead person, like Ted Kennedy.

I would offer that Bloomie is Ted Kennedy without the trail of alcoholism and drowned dates.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2013, 05:32:12 PM »

His grandfather's sister's cousin's roommate? So what....why does he care? It's not as if Grandaddy was part of the policy making. Good grief. ::pokeineye::
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
Nanny Bloomburgler Loses Beverage Ban
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2013, 11:40:46 AM »
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-07-30/mike-bloombergs-sugary-drink-ban-thrown-out-appeals-court

Bloomie loses, which is nice...but ObamaCare wins...more fatties and diabetics to be enslaved...

::facepalm::

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2013, 07:49:52 AM »
I doubt it would make it...wouldn't even be accepted for review.

But, that's never stopped morons from trying, has it?!