Author Topic: Too many people get angioplasties, study suggests  (Read 1134 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Too many people get angioplasties, study suggests
« on: May 23, 2012, 03:54:51 PM »
More prepping of the ground for gubmint medicine, IMO.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/23/us-angioplasties-study-idUSBRE84M1EW20120523

One out of every seven patients having a non-emergency angioplasty to clear a clogged artery in the heart didn't meet criteria for needing the procedure, in a new study from New York.

And based on guidelines, it was uncertain whether the stent-inserting surgery was appropriate in another one-half of patients.

"Patients need to be aware that they are sometimes being referred for something that they don't need, and they can get by with a less invasive option, which is taking medicines," said Edward Hannan, the lead author of the study from the University at Albany.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

Re: Too many people get angioplasties, study suggests
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 04:20:16 PM »

Take two aspirin and call me in the morning.

If you're still alive.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 04:44:52 PM »

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/23/us-angioplasties-study-idUSBRE84M1EW20120523

One out of every seven patients having a non-emergency angioplasty to clear a clogged artery in the heart didn't meet criteria for needing the procedure, in a new study from New York.

And based on guidelines, it was uncertain whether the stent-inserting surgery was appropriate in another one-half of patients.

"Patients need to be aware that they are sometimes being referred for something that they don't need, and they can get by with a less invasive option, which is taking medicines," said Edward Hannan, the lead author of the study from the University at Albany.

Like taking medicines? What? Cyanide?
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 04:57:00 PM »

"Patients need to be aware that they are sometimes being referred for something that they don't need, and they can get by with a less invasive option,...

They can get by, that's the essence of Obama's destruction of America.
We won't be America the Can Do Nation we'll be America the Get By Nation.
Only a slacker could accept such a manner of thought.

Bye Bye Barry
by by you communist
I think you're gonna fry
yes, I think you're gonna fry.

There goes big Barry
he looks so blue
he's lost his scepter
to someone new

They're to jail him
they're going to flail him
hello big Barry
got this for you

Bye Bye Barry
by by you communist
I think you're gonna fry
yes, I think you're gonna fry.

yes, yes you're gonna fry
yes, yes you're gonna fry

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 06:01:20 PM »

Which have side effects.  Which are sometimes very unpleasant.

Have I already said how much I hatez thez people?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 07:46:01 PM »
And now a few words from the biggest dumbass to ever hold the office of President of the United States:

But understand that those decisions are already being made in one way or another. If they’re not being made under Medicare and Medicaid, they’re being made by private insurers. At least we can let doctors know — and your mom know — that you know what, maybe this isn’t going to help. Maybe you’re better off, uhh, not having the surgery, but, uhh, taking the painkiller.

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 07:58:34 PM »
Truly a low point in American history when a free and sovereign American citizens asks the President if it would be OK for her mother to have life-extending medical treatments.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 12:15:34 AM »
There is the problem of overprescribing expensive tests and procedures as a CYA position in the medical "industry" but personally I'd rather go that route than BO and his minions deciding who's a worthy candidate.

I once had an x-ray in the ER.  Later at home I looked up my condition and discovered that an x-ray is completely useless in that case as a diagnostic tool but it is part of the protocol still because not doing it could be used in a lawsuit as evidence of negligence.

On the other hand, my husband was diagnosed years ago with a serious disease because the doctor decided to add a certain test to the blood panel she was doing.  She even told him that she didn't expect it to come back positive since he really wasn't within the protocol for including it.  It was postive.  That decision saved his life. (And cost a ton but the drug company and the insurance company covered it.)

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."