Author Topic: "Stand your ground" under attack in NC  (Read 1298 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
"Stand your ground" under attack in NC
« on: June 06, 2012, 01:30:18 PM »
I knew this was inevitable after all the hyperbole manufactured and disseminated in the wake of the St. Skittles event.

Anti-gun legislators in the North Carolina House have introduced House Bill 1192, a bill that would gut the “Stand Your Ground” provisions of House Bill 650, the NRA-backed omnibus firearm bill that was enacted just last year.  Please contact your state Representative TODAY and urge him or her to stand up for the right to self-defense for law-abiding North Carolinians, and oppose HB 1192.

House Bill 1192, sponsored by state Representative Alma Adams (D-58), was introduced in an apparent attempt to exploit the Trayvon Martin shooting in Florida that has received so much sensationalistic anti-gun coverage from the media.  This bill, if passed and enacted into law would eliminate the protections established in HB 650 for a law-abiding citizen who uses a firearm for self-defense if faced with a violent criminal attacker while away from the home. The NRA strongly opposes this bill, and will work to defeat this legislation along with any other attempts to weaken self-defense laws in North Carolina.

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/state-legislation/2012/6/self-defense-in-north-carolina-under-attack.aspx

Fortunately, I don't think it will go anywhere with the new Republican legislative majority. But, infuriating all the same...the contempt these people have for individual liberty.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

Re: "Stand your ground" under attack in NC
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 01:54:55 PM »

One thing, y'all know exactly whom to campaign against come next election.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 02:12:36 PM »
Fortunately, I don't think it will go anywhere with the new Republican legislative majority. But, infuriating all the same...the contempt these people have for individual liberty.

They've already pulled a few boners, so I don't trust them.  At all.  And my House Rep. is a friggin Lefty.

Email sent.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 02:29:38 PM »
That's the thing about libs--one event or situation and they're ready to rip up everyone else's rights. And how often do those events or situations turn out to be bogus?
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 02:33:59 PM »
Yep. That's because they have no real principles to speak of. They're simply opportunists seeking power and graft, and if you look at the history of liberalism it drifts from one ephemeral cause to another, some of them directly in opposition to each other.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 04:07:49 PM »
Thanks for the tip-off on this, Glock.

I went through both bills (1192 and 650) and what they're looking to repeal is the legal protection when defending oneself with a weapon ANYWHERE BUT IN ONE'S OWN HOME, and to repeal the prohibition against civil suits against the defender.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 05:28:32 PM »
Screw 'em. Adams et al can go outside and play hide and drop dead!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.