Author Topic: Venus Transit  (Read 660 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Venus Transit
« on: June 07, 2012, 02:13:11 PM »
The Sun is friggin huge. Venus looks like it is almost colliding with the Sun, and yet Venus is 25M miles from us, and 70M miles from the Sun. Amazing.

I mean, seriously. Wow.

This image of Venus as it entered the Sun’s disk was taken by the NASA/JAXA (Japanese space agency) spacecraft Hinode on June 5. The detail is breathtaking. The ring around Venus is due to scattering and refraction — light from the Sun passes through the upper part of the Venusian atmosphere and gets bent toward us. You can also see some texture on the Sun’s surface (really packets of hot gas rising and cool gas sinking) and some nice prominences off the Sun’s limb — material lifted against the Sun’s massive gravity by its equally ridiculously strong magnetic field.

That’s a whole planet there, folks, nearly the same size as Earth, roughly 40 million kilometers (25 million miles) from Earth, back lit by a star 110 million km (70 million miles) farther away yet and well over 100 times bigger than Venus!

And we knew about it, predicted it, aimed our machines at it, and observed it so we can learn more and see more beauty. The things we humans do when inspired by the Universe. Amazing.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 02:16:58 PM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Miltrainer

Re: Venus Transit
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 06:10:45 PM »
If you think that is big.....Take a look at this.

Star Size Comparison HD
You want the truth?....You can't handle the truth!

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Venus Transit
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 07:27:05 AM »
Thanks IDP, I think that'd make a great wallpaper.   ::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.