Author Topic: Dog waits 2 days at rest stop for his trucker owner to return  (Read 2081 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Wasn't really sure what category for this one, but since my dogs have always been part of the family I decided on "Family".

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2012/06/loyal-dog-waits-2-days-at-rest-stop-for-truckers-return/1?csp=obinsite#.T9FKivElY-N

::thumbsup::
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 07:43:41 PM by Glock32 »
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Dog waits 2 days at rest stop for his trucker owner to return
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 07:33:30 PM »
Rats.  Link doesn't work for me.  Did the dog's man come back for him after two days?  Please tell me yes.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 07:43:55 PM »
Try it now
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline EW1(SG)

• Who? Me?
    • EW1's Intercept Log
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 08:15:36 PM »
Rats.  Link doesn't work for me.  Did the dog's man come back for him after two days?  Please tell me yes.

Yes.
My doctor told me to start killing people.  Not in those exact words, she said I had to reduce the stress in my life.

Same thing.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 08:43:26 PM »
I wouldn't have been able to get back in the truck without the wife's gerbil-on-steriods.

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 08:53:15 PM »

Yes.

::snoopydance::

Thanks, Glock.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 08:56:26 PM »
My last dog was a beagle.  He would have been in Scottsdale,Arizona before he lifted his nose off the ground and looked up.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 07:38:54 AM »
My brother had a Beagle.  No offense to Beagle owners but that dog was the dumbest animal I ever met.  How does a dog not know its way home when it leaves its own yard?  Critter ate my carpet at my old place while my brother was on vacation...I at least got new carpet out of the deal.  Sweet dog, but d-u-m-b!  Other than that we've had Dachshunds, Westie's, & Labs. 

I like this guy naming his little critter Rambo.  It's like naming a Rottweiler Honey!   ;D
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline EW1(SG)

• Who? Me?
    • EW1's Intercept Log
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 09:30:48 AM »
My brother had a Beagle.  No offense to Beagle owners but that dog was the dumbest animal I ever met.  How does a dog not know its way home when it leaves its own yard?  Critter ate my carpet at my old place while my brother was on vacation...I at least got new carpet out of the deal.  Sweet dog, but d-u-m-b!  Other than that we've had Dachshunds, Westie's, & Labs. 

I like this guy naming his little critter Rambo.  It's like naming a Rottweiler Honey!   ;D

Beagles vary in intelligence, just like people.

They are typically very determined little individuals though.  While beagle sitting for the neighbor, I've had tug o' war over which direction to go at the intersection sometimes last more than 5 minutes with Her Highness.

And there is no point in trying to keep her from sticking stuff in her mouth that she decides to dispose of.  Turkey carcass, 10-15 minutes.  Dead rotting shark carcass on the beach, carry along treat. Side of spareribs (bones only), nothing left in under 5 minutes.  She doesn't just gnaw on bones like other dogs...she sounds an awful lot like a disposer grinding them up.
My doctor told me to start killing people.  Not in those exact words, she said I had to reduce the stress in my life.

Same thing.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 11:15:32 AM »

They are typically very determined little individuals though.  While beagle sitting for the neighbor, I've had tug o' war over which direction to go at the intersection sometimes last more than 5 minutes with Her Highness.

And there is no point in trying to keep her from sticking stuff in her mouth that she decides to dispose of.  Turkey carcass, 10-15 minutes.  Dead rotting shark carcass on the beach, carry along treat. Side of spareribs (bones only), nothing left in under 5 minutes.  She doesn't just gnaw on bones like other dogs...she sounds an awful lot like a disposer grinding them up.

It doesn't matter the size of the bone, if dog can lift or drag it, it's theirs!   ;D

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 11:17:04 AM »

Hmmm.  Sounds like a reasonable alternative to a nearby hog farm.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 11:35:47 AM »
When we were kids my oldest brother worked at a filling station. One day he brought home a tiny puppy that someone had driven off and left behind. And Buddy came into our lives.

I don't know much about Beagles but most that I've seen looked like cousins to Basset Hounds - kinda on the chunky side. Not Buddy. He was lean and muscular. And always with bright eyes and an alert posture. And a truly mischievous spirit. He was still a small puppy when he decided to climb up onto the dinner table after scraps. I guess that the garbage-hound part is universal with the breed. My mom came into the room and startled him and he scrambled to get off the table - while still taking a swipe at the roast on the platter. He landed wrong and broke his leg.

We took him to the vet where his leg was pinned and put in a cast. He was a pitiful looking sight hobbling around with that cast on! I don't recall how long he had it but just as soon as the cast was removed he broke his leg again. This time the vet advised us to put him down. "He'll never walk again and never be able to do normal dog stuff" the vet said.

He was such a cute little bastard that my mom was horribly conflicted about killing him. Ultimately she chose to have his hind leg amputated instead. And so he became "Buddy The Three Legged Beagle". The vet warned that his ambulatory skills would likely be pretty limited and primitive - he talked about eventually fitting him for one of those harness-carts, but Buddy was an impatient little bugger and had no time for anything of the sort.

In a remarkably short time he was off and running - literally. As he grew his remaining hind leg leaned inward, providing a natural rudder as well as propulsion. And boy how that dog could run! When I was in my teens I was a runner and set several track records. I had a hard time keeping up with him. He had another trait that wasn't so endearing (although it was remarkable) - buddy could climb chain-link fences. The run of the mill three-footer was no challenge for Buddy - I saw him easily scramble his way over six-footers.

One day my leftist neighbor let his high-dollar bird dog off his leash to go poop in our yard. Big mistake. Buddy spotted the dog and made a beeline for him. Buddy ignored the fact that he was 1/4 the size of the bird dog and lit into the intruder, thrashing him but good. I separated the two animals and put my dog in the house. The leftist sued and our insurance carrier settled - and then wrote a rider to our homeowner policy excluding damaged inflicted by "One three legged beagle dog".

My dad, who had been raised with dog teams and work animals, never really cottoned to Buddy. Instead he called him "Dammit". "Dammit, get out of there!" I routinely heard from the kitchen, the family room, or anywhere Dad and Buddy happened to be together.

Buddy led a full life and proved the vet a liar.

Edited to add a picture of the little terror.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 11:54:45 AM by Alphabet Soup »

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 11:49:57 AM »
Lovely bit of your past, Soup.  Thanks.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 11:54:34 AM »
Nice story, AS.

The Beagle was my husband's idea.  I thought we were getting a companion.  Instead I got another child who was a lot more work.  The kids loved him and I bore my annoyance silently.  We put him on a long length of chain so he could be outside (otherwise he'd never stay in the yard).  He kept pulling off the chain (he was that strong or that determined)  and once was returned to us by a construction worker that was about to put his machine in gear when he saw our dog playing in the dirt right in front of him (this happened about 1/2 mile from our house).  We had to get a chain tested for a dog 5 times his weight (we only bought 3 others before we figured that out).

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 11:58:00 AM »
 "Dammit, get out of there!"

::hysterical::

Just like the Bill Cosby routine...

Dad liked Buddy enough to keep him around for those who did like him.   ;)

::thumbsup::

ETA - Nice pic, yup, that's a Beagle all right.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 11:59:18 AM »
Nice story, AS.

The Beagle was my husband's idea.  I thought we were getting a companion.  Instead I got another child who was a lot more work.  The kids loved him and I bore my annoyance silently.  We put him on a long length of chain so he could be outside (otherwise he'd never stay in the yard).  He kept pulling off the chain (he was that strong or that determined)  and once was returned to us by a construction worker that was about to put his machine in gear when he saw our dog playing in the dirt right in front of him (this happened about 1/2 mile from our house).  We had to get a chain tested for a dog 5 times his weight (we only bought 3 others before we figured that out).

Did he howl?  Being a hound they got it in 'em, I know my brothers critter had a piercing howl that would wake the dead. 

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 12:49:05 PM »

Did he howl?  Being a hound they got it in 'em, I know my brothers critter had a piercing howl that would wake the dead. 

How could I forget the howling and barking.  The one good thing is even though he was less than 30 pounds anyone who came to the door thought we had a big, ole dog backing us up.

He could be pretty entertaining too. He would go crazy when the squirrels would scamper across the skylights in the family room.  We liked to yell "Deer!" and he'd run to the back door to look for them.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2012, 01:55:30 PM »

Did he howl?  Being a hound they got it in 'em, I know my brothers critter had a piercing howl that would wake the dead.  

How could I forget the howling and barking.  The one good thing is even though he was less than 30 pounds anyone who came to the door thought we had a big, ole dog backing us up.

He could be pretty entertaining too. He would go crazy when the squirrels would scamper across the skylights in the family room.  We liked to yell "Deer!" and he'd run to the back door to look for them.

::hysterical::

I think it is universal that dogs loath squirrels!  I remember eons ago I gave my parents Westies their dream come true...when coming home from my early years of college after I got out of the service I would routinely take the dogs out on their leash to do their business out back.  I would grab my old wooden hockey stick just in case.  One day I come back there with them towing me...and lo and behold the squirrel was late bolting to the telephone pole.  OK ladies, time to bare those teeth...as per its usual routine it would scamper across the thick cable tv line which was just in reach of my hockey stick swung overhead...thump!  Squirrel hits the ground, dogs hear it but are looking for movement, squirrel was shocked to hit the ground and froze, I'm yelling and pointing at the fresh meat on the ground and by the time they see it it has taken off for the trees.  All they did was scare it up a big cottonwood.  That's it girls, that's as close as you'll ever get.

::)

::facepalm::

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2012, 03:42:54 PM »
 ::rolllaughing::

Good tale.

I've had one dog.  He was a smallish, longish hair, black mutt.  I could never get him to come on command, but if I yelled "SIT!", he would do that where he was --- and wait for me to come get him.  Better than nothing, right?

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2012, 06:32:34 PM »
::rolllaughing::

Good tale.

I've had one dog.  He was a smallish, longish hair, black mutt.  I could never get him to come on command, but if I yelled "SIT!", he would do that where he was --- and wait for me to come get him.  Better than nothing, right?

yep.

The downside to not having a dog around is I have to keep reminding the kids to sweep the kitchen floor more often.   ;D