Author Topic: Censorship in Montana  (Read 1393 times)

Offline BMG

• Established Member
Censorship in Montana
« on: June 08, 2012, 02:25:53 PM »
LINK

A controversy erupted in a small Montana town after a high school principal prevented Oscar winner Gerald Molen from delivering his planned speech because he's "a right-wing conservative."

Molen is one of those rare conservatives in Hollywood (he’s even making a documentary called 2016, based on the Dinesh D’Souza book The Roots of Obama’s Rage) and because of that, he says, Ronan High School principal Tom Stack decided to disinvite him -- and he didn’t tell him so until after Molen made the 90-minute drive from his home in Bigfork, Mont.

It’s unknown how many phone calls have been placed, but one e-mail to the school board that was made public read: “I would like to know the process and people who canceled Gerald R. Molen’s talk to the Ronan Senior Class. I would like to also have a list of other speakers who have addressed the high school in the past five years.”

::outrage::
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Censorship in Montana
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 03:47:40 PM »
How doth Montana swing; red, blue or purple?  Depending, I suspect parents at this school are wondering what else their kids were not allowed to hear/see/learn/know.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 04:45:16 PM »
How doth Montana swing; red, blue or purple?  Depending, I suspect parents at this school are wondering what else their kids were not allowed to hear/see/learn/know.

I'm pretty sure this pegged quite a few BS meters.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 04:53:24 PM »
My impression is that for a frontier state, Montana has been pretty purplish at the state level, with a divide between rural areas and cities, but with the Democrat voting base further divided between a few true believers and college town denizens, and old-style conservative blue-collar Democrats. I think in 2010 we saw the first awakening of blue-collar Democrats, that the party they traditionally supported has been overrun by committed Leftists. I wouldn't be surprised if Montana is in the safe GOP column going forward.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson