Author Topic: Robbers nailed with bear spray  (Read 1264 times)

Offline robins111

Robbers nailed with bear spray
« on: June 09, 2012, 05:48:20 PM »

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Re: Robbers nailed with bear spray
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 06:51:31 PM »
Bear spray is pretty wicked stuff. It's highly concentrated cayenne pepper in a highly pressurized little can. You can usually shoot the stuff about fifteen to twenty feet.

A few years ago my daughter accidentally bumped the trigger of a can while looking for something in our garage. It was bad. Just a very small amount released into the garage and it was nearly suffocating. I can only imagine what dumping most of a can into a convenience store was like.

The thieves would almost certainly suffer from temporary blindness.

We don't have the stuff around the house anymore. Too dangerous. The twelve gauge pump is much safer for run ins with bears. Or anything else.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 06:52:25 PM »
Now, beer spray...that's different. Get me on the receiving end of that.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 07:40:11 PM »
Good on these store owners for defending themselves.  But I have to say it irks me every time the "authorities" advise one to not "take the law into their own hands" and "obey the demands of the robber".  That passivity is a big part of why Western Civilization is on the skids, not just because it promotes a victim mentality but because it also speaks to the paternalistic mentality of government "authorities".
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline robins111

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 08:04:56 PM »
That was one of those industrial sized foggers, not a little lipstick sized one they give to hikers, and you're right, I had a couple of them when I worked in the far north, that stuff will bring tears to a glass eye..

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 08:47:54 PM »
Before I had firearms I had a little pocket-sized bottle of regular pepper spray. I carried it around for a year or two, and got curious one time as to whether or not it still had pressure.

So, I went outside to test it. There was no breeze, or I would have held it downwind. But I figured no breeze; arms-length; quick little spritz just to test the pressure...

Mistake. Within seconds I was choking and my eyes were burning. It was several minutes and constant eye-flushing before I could open my eyes and see without immediately tearing up, and it took hours to get that wicked taste and burn out of my mucous membranes.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 08:57:52 PM »
Yeah, that's great stuff. If you know what it's like then you will only use it in a life and death situation because it WILL get on you.

Offline EW1(SG)

• Who? Me?
    • EW1's Intercept Log
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 09:48:42 PM »
Good on these store owners for defending themselves.  But I have to say it irks me every time the "authorities" advise one to not "take the law into their own hands" and "obey the demands of the robber".  That passivity is a big part of why Western Civilization is on the skids, not just because it promotes a victim mentality but because it also speaks to the paternalistic mentality of government "authorities".

Statistically speaking, it's horrendous advice.  A good way to get dead.

Lott's 3rd edition of "More Guns, Less Crime" notes in passing that "victims" that fight back, armed or not, typically suffer fewer and more minor injuries.

Personally, my advice?  Kill the SOB.  If the police can justify militarization in the name of "officer safety," I certainly see no reason why we can't use a lesser amount of force in the name of "citizen safety."
My doctor told me to start killing people.  Not in those exact words, she said I had to reduce the stress in my life.

Same thing.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 07:30:22 AM »

Statistically speaking, it's horrendous advice.  A good way to get dead.

Lott's 3rd edition of "More Guns, Less Crime" notes in passing that "victims" that fight back, armed or not, typically suffer fewer and more minor injuries.

Personally, my advice?  Kill the SOB.  If the police can justify militarization in the name of "officer safety," I certainly see no reason why we can't use a lesser amount of force in the name of "citizen safety."

Amen!

::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.