Author Topic: Kids badly sunburned on field trip because "the law is a a$$"  (Read 1821 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Parents of Point Defiance Elementary School children were horrified after their kids were severely burnt on field day.

State law prohibits use of sunscreen at the school unless the students have a doctor’s note.

Jesse Michener was horrified Tuesday evening when she returned home from work to find two of her three daughters severely sunburned after field day at Point Defiance Elementary School.

It was raining when the girls left for school Tuesday morning, but the sun came out midday and ended up burning Violet and Zoe so severely that their mother took them to Tacoma General Hospital that evening.

Tacoma Public Schools policy prohibits teachers from putting sunscreen on students.

Students can apply their own, but are required to have a doctor’s note authorizing them to use it.

District spokesman Dan Voelpel says the doctor’s note policy is actually based on a statewide law, and is aimed at preventing kids from sharing sunscreen with someone who might have an allergy. He says there are many students in the district with allergies to common additives in sunscreens and lotions.

Parents are encouraged to apply sunscreen before sending their children to school, or dress them appropriately for sunny weather.

This is Washington State.  Who there puts sunscreen on herself, much less a kid, when IT'S RAINING?!

A local site, KATU, issued the initial report.  I read the comments.  "Survey SEZ! -- it's all Mom's fault".  And, after all, there is A LAW.    ::outrage::
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Gilead

• Newb
Re: Kids badly sunburned on field trip because "the law is a a$$"
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 04:21:15 PM »
I'm beginning to believe it is becoming dangerous to send children to public schools.

Lunch confiscations, bodily injury, sexual predators, political indoctrination. ::bashing::

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 04:26:51 PM »
Sending a Kid to public School is child abuse.

If the kids are 6 or younger, I would expect the teacher to be informed of the allergy ( if not the child themselves-- swelling up like a balloon usually gets a child's attention - I had other kids in my kindergarten who were well aware and would announce an allergy if it would possibly kill them)  Past that, I would expect the kid would know what might kill them and expect them to not grab a product that might kill them. 

Oh. Right.  We cant expect anyone to be responsible anymore. Lets punish the group because certain people are idiots

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 04:32:47 PM »
Sending a Kid to public School is child abuse.

Roger that.

See the latest entry on the "Culture Watch:  Black Trash Edition"   http://itsaboutliberty.com/index.php/topic,1148.msg69334.html#msg69334

These are examples of the other ferals-known-as-kids in school-attendance with the normals.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline S0N_of_trapeze

• Newb
  • I am a defender AND a legacy. A SOLDIER
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 06:00:02 PM »
  Past that, I would expect the kid would know what might kill them and expect them to not grab a product that might kill them. 

Oh. Right.  We cant expect anyone to be responsible anymore. Lets punish the group because certain people are idiots

[/quote]

Punishing the group can be effective when used at the right times but making a law against sun screen? some law makers make it seem like they flunked out of special ed. common sense seems to be draining out of the human race faster than Niagara falls. the movie Idiocracy comes to mind. pretty soon they will post a law saying we can only water our lawns with Gatorade....
It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not to deserve them. - Mark Twain
No more important duty can be urged upon those who are entering the great theater of life than simple loyalty to their best convictions.- Edwin Hubbel Chapin

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 06:33:37 PM »
Because it has ee-lec-tro-lites.....

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 06:36:09 PM »
For what it's worth KATU is a Portland, Ore. station and even more communist than any of the idiot-box stations in Washington. And the Tacoma School District is 140 miles away. So any commentary is likely from water-logged and moronic oregonians (not that there aren't a plethora of water-logged and equally moronic Seattlunatics about).

Secondly, the weather here lately has been more like March than June. It was gorgeous this morning and right now it's raining pitchforks. I won't be surprised if it doesn't burn off and we have a nice sunset this evening. Trying to anticipate is next to impossible.

Lastly, I was blessed to be in a position to be involved with Random's elementary school trips (all except one!) and got to witness the liberal (pun intended) application of Scholastic Political Correctness - or more commonly known as "Not possessing the common sense that God gave a housefly". Parents would send kids ill-equipped for the particular occasion and teachers would shrug (if they even noticed) and away they'd go, oblivious to reality. Some of her teachers were nice enough but I was never impressed with any of them that they could think their way out of a wet paper sack.

Like the narrative here, there were rules about all sorts of stuff but I always had a low threshold for stupid and would ignore rules that were counter-intuitive. Fortunately, even though Random was a towhead, she didn't burn easily and I remember one field trip that we took to a arboretum at the University of Washington where I was applying sunscreen to all of the kids. One of the teachers made a frowny-face but the other parent-volunteers actually appreciated my taking leadership.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 06:40:16 PM »
Frowny-faces because you were a MAN touching other kids .........

If we locked pedos away and threw away the freakin' key, we wouldn't be worrying about somebody's Dad looking out for all the little chicks.

Don't get me started.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 06:47:40 PM »

If we locked pedos away and threw away the freakin' key, we wouldn't be worrying about somebody's Dad looking out for all the little chicks.

Don't get me started.

I had to submit to fingerprinting and a background check in order to be involved with my own child at school.

That said, all the kids considered me the "cool dad" (not cool like Øbozo believes himself to be) and Random couldn't be prouder to have me around. The parents - and teachers - knew that I was the "Pappa Goose" that would not let anything happen to their children, and nearly all of the initial misgivings about me participating evaporated.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 06:58:18 PM »

Don't get me started.

I had to submit to fingerprinting and a background check in order to be involved with my own child at school.

That said, all the kids considered me the "cool dad" (not cool like Øbozo believes himself to be) and Random couldn't be prouder to have me around. The parents - and teachers - knew that I was the "Pappa Goose" that would not let anything happen to their children, and nearly all of the initial misgivings about me participating evaporated.

Good.  Glad to know.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 09:22:01 AM »
The burn was not bad.  The baby mama is a drama queen and should be fully charged for clogging up an emergency room.

Where is the baby daddy in all this?