Author Topic: "Another company panders to the green crowd"  (Read 2696 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
"Another company panders to the green crowd"
« on: June 17, 2012, 02:31:58 AM »
"The NPR Car Talk guys report that Cracker Barrel is installing four electric car charging stations at locations in Texas and Governor Perry is a supporter.  Go figure…"

Cracker Barrel and electric cars? Why, yes. As spokeswoman Julie Davis points out, the very first store in 1959 had gas pumps out front, a practice that didn’t end until the 1970s energy crisis. “This is a natural extension of our brand,” she said, as the local restaurant manager cut the ribbon around the $50,000 AeroVironment station, which can add 50 miles to an EV’s range in 15 minutes. “It may seem strange that an old-fashioned store cares about EVs, but we see it as going back to our roots.”

Arun Banskota, the Nepal-born CEO of eVgo, declines to say how many Texans have so far signed up for the plan, and he admits the concept will rise or fall with EV adoption in the state. David Knox, eVgo’s communications director, reckons that there are currently no more than 200 electric vehicles on Texas roads right now, though that number could rise dramatically.

The Volt, Leaf and Mitsubishi i are all on sale at state dealerships now. Banskota says he’s prepared for the somewhat slow rollout process we’re in now. “Based on the public awareness we’re seeing, and the fact that Americans buy new cars every five or six years, we think we’ll see three or four years of slow momentum, followed by a big takeoff and massive growth.”

Of course, they are oblivious to the huge taxpayer subsidies flowing to the company installing the stations.

General Mills, Cracker Barrel, GM, GE, Target .... on and on it goes, who will stop pandering, nobody knows....
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
Re: "Another company panders to the green crowd"
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 05:00:37 AM »
Nothing about the price at the pump ?

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 09:32:44 AM »
  They must think they need more ornaments in their parking lots.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 11:33:09 AM »
This is what crony capitalism looks like. When a market is no longer free, but just has some of the appearances of a free one. Business strategy is now less about making a better product or a more affordable product, but about competition for subsidies from the state.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 07:19:50 AM »
 ::cussing::  'em.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline EW1(SG)

• Who? Me?
    • EW1's Intercept Log
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 07:56:22 AM »
This is what crony capitalism looks like. When a market is no longer free, but just has some of the appearances of a free one. Business strategy is now less about making a better product or a more affordable product, but about competition for subsidies from the state.

Yep.

Sorry, but the current state of electric cars isn't.  And isn't going to be for the foreseeable future.

ETA:  And this,
Banskota says he’s prepared for the somewhat slow rollout process we’re in now. “Based on the public awareness we’re seeing, and the fact that Americans buy new cars every five or six years, we think we’ll see three or four years of slow momentum, followed by a big takeoff and massive growth.

is either unmitigated balderdash, or hallucinogens.
My doctor told me to start killing people.  Not in those exact words, she said I had to reduce the stress in my life.

Same thing.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 08:33:39 PM »

Yep.

Sorry, but the current state of electric cars isn't.  And isn't going to be for the foreseeable future.

ETA:  And this,
Banskota says he’s prepared for the somewhat slow rollout process we’re in now. “Based on the public awareness we’re seeing, and the fact that Americans buy new cars every five or six years, we think we’ll see three or four years of slow momentum, followed by a big takeoff and massive growth.

is either unmitigated balderdash, or hallucinogens.

What the hell is he suppoed to say,we blew billions on this steaming pile 0f sh*t and were here to admit to it.  The cars will sell in small numbers and that's all it's going to be.There is no money to be made in that market and everyone sole is nothing more that a drain on the factories.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 08:40:12 PM »
I'm sure these "stations" will be right up front.

I'll park in them. It's not like they will be used. maybe i'll plug my phone up.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 09:57:13 PM »

I'll park in them. It's not like they will be used. maybe i'll plug my phone up.

You got that right!! We have two at the dealership and one has been broken for about three months and nobody is in any huryy to get it fixed. It's not like we need it or anything since were not ordering any Volts any time soon.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 07:04:25 AM »

::hysterical::

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 08:49:22 AM »

You got that right!! We have two at the dealership and one has been broken for about three months and nobody is in any huryy to get it fixed. It's not like we need it or anything since were not ordering any Volts any time soon.

Since cracker barrel headquarters is literally a few miles from me, in the interest of fairness and equality I'm going to demand charging stations for my bass boat (batteries).

I know I can make the case they have more customers pulling boats than driving volts. I can't tell you how convenient it would be to allow my trolling batteries to charge while I dine.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 09:06:54 AM »

Since cracker barrel headquarters is literally a few miles from me, in the interest of fairness and equality I'm going to demand charging stations for my bass boat (batteries).

I know I can make the case they have more customers pulling boats than driving volts. I can't tell you how convenient it would be to allow my trolling batteries to charge while I dine.

Makes sense.  But unfortunately libiots don't.  Good luck!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 05:54:43 PM »
This is bullsht.  Electricity is not free.  Who pays for the charging?  Or are the menu prices upped to cover that?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 06:10:06 PM »
This is bullsht.  Electricity is not free.  Who pays for the charging?  Or are the menu prices upped to cover that?

And as slow as the cracker barrell is where I live......

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 07:58:46 PM »

Probably your taxes. You know damn well there's a subsidy from Uncle Sugar in there somewhere.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 03:25:44 PM »

Probably your taxes. You know damn well there's a subsidy from Uncle Sugar in there somewhere.
Damn well know it!
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 09:53:03 PM »
because the people eating at Cracker Barrel drive Volts...
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2012, 10:11:30 PM »
Just the very idea cracks me up.   ::hysterical::