Author Topic: New "advice" on having alcohol while pregnant ...  (Read 657 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
New "advice" on having alcohol while pregnant ...
« on: June 20, 2012, 07:15:15 PM »
... believe it or not, some doctors say drinking alcohol while pregnant might not be so bad.

The question then becomes how much is too much?

As CBS 2’s Kristine Johnson reports the second a woman finds out she’s pregnant she’s told to take off those high heels, put down that sushi and stop using hair dye – all things women are told are not healthy during pregnancy.

... “A lot of women that I know personally feel like we’re being treated like children as soon as we become pregnant,” April Peveteaux said.

At the top of the list of don’ts is drinking alcohol.

...  So what does the new research say? Two new studies — one from the United Kingdom and the other published in the Journal of Pediatrics — found that limited drinking was okay, even safe.

But that doesn’t mean every day.

“If she chooses to have maybe one or two drinks in a week that may be okay. It’s not a guarantee it is, but it’s also not a guarantee it’s bad,” OBGYN Dr. Iffath Hoskins said.

... Some expectant mothers, who are relaxing the rules on what they can and cannot consume, said they’re not doing anything women in Europe haven’t been doing for decades.

Exactly.  Prior generations of Italian women and those from other Mediterranean countries are rolling their eyes right now.

As for this:

But one thing is for sure: despite the new studies on moderate drinking, long-term, frequent and chronic exposure to alcohol has been proven to cause harm, including Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.

Right.  And a little wine now and then does not and never did cause Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, despite what the OBs have told millions of women, including me:  "You never know at what point in its development the fetus may be harmed by ingesting any alcohol, so better be safe than sorry".

LIARS.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline EW1(SG)

• Who? Me?
    • EW1's Intercept Log
Re: New "advice" on having alcohol while pregnant ...
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 10:32:31 PM »
I get pregnant, I'm taking up drinking.

/Women all over the world have managed to have children quite safely without doctors and so called "health experts" for thousands of years...and I'm betting alcohol has been there more often than a doctor...
My doctor told me to start killing people.  Not in those exact words, she said I had to reduce the stress in my life.

Same thing.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: New "advice" on having alcohol while pregnant ...
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 06:56:27 AM »
I guess the concept of moderate drinking at meals and such is lost on people who assume when one drinks its always shots until one passes out.

::)
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.