Author Topic: The Bitter Truth About Why Your Coffee Isn't Tasting as Good Lately  (Read 2837 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
AHA!!  And here I thought it was me .....

Reuters is reporting that many of America's major brands have been quietly tweaking their coffee blends.

While most coffee companies consider their blends trade secrets, and are loath to disclose exactly what goes into them, both circumstantial and direct evidence suggests they're now substituting lower-grade Robusta beans for some of their pricier Arabica, and degrading the quality of our coffee.

Here's What's Brewing

Research out of agricultural bank Rabobank confirms that demand for Arabica beans among coffee buyers "has fallen 27% year-to-date, while Robusta [demand] is 25% higher." This seems to confirm a widespread alteration of the bean mix.

At least one coffee roaster has admitted it. In November, Massimo Zanetti USA, which roasts for both Chock full o'Nuts and Hills Bros., publicly confirmed upping its Robusta usage by 25% this year.

Why the switcheroo? Prepare to not be shocked. The answer is: price.

Last year, a shortage of Arabica caused prices of the premium bean to spike as high as $3 a pound -- $2 more than what a pound of Robusta would cost. This compares to a five-year historical trend of Arabica costing closer to 70 cents more than Robusta. In recent weeks, the trend has reversed, with Arabica prices falling to just a 62-cent premium over Robusta.

... When you get right down to it, if there's more Robusta in our coffee but people still find it drinkable, and the coffee's getting a bit cheaper in consequence, where's the harm?

Where's the harm?  I don't drink coffee just to drink it, I drink it to enjoy and some of the coffee today sucks.  And Chock Full O'Nuts is one of 'em.  Bad enough that most coffees don't even show what kinds of beans they use.

WalMart used to sell a nice big can of 100% Arabica coffee until two years ago -- that's all I would buy -- and suddenly they stopped.  I'd have paid instead of going "blech" over my morning cup.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

Re: The Bitter Truth About Why Your Coffee Isn't Tasting as Good Lately
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 07:58:42 PM »

I won't run out till well into next year.  I'll probably have to quit by then
anyway.  PittyPatPittyPatPatPittyPatPittyPittyPatPittyPatPatPat
                                                                                        ::danceban::

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 09:12:03 PM »

I won't run out till well into next year.  I'll probably have to quit by then
anyway.  PittyPatPittyPatPatPittyPatPittyPittyPatPittyPatPatPat
                                                                                        ::danceban::

I've got probably 6 months worth myself put away.Waiting for the next big sale.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 11:30:06 AM »
I didn't see this thread until now....

I'm not a coffee connoisseur by any means. I HATE the stuff at the coffee shops. HATE HATE HATE. It always tastes bitter, always tastes burnt - and this is the mud that is supposed to make me a hip coffee slurpin' metroseckshul. Fuggeddabowdit.

I make my own, and when I can't or it's not convenient, I get some at the gas station. I just want regular friggin coffee. When I make my own, 9 times out of 10 it's Folgers. That's my brand. If I'm fortunate, my buddy who has an in at Dunn Brothers will slip me a pound of their coffee of the month, and it's usually outstanding. A hefty dose of Coffee-Mate Hazelnut creamer, and I'm good to go.

And I drink about 4-6 cups a day, usually in one big mug.

Re; the creamer and the fat/sugar calories therein, I've found a way to reduce both that is pretty simple, and I've used the same method on things like salad dressing. I buy one fat free and one sugar free and mix them. The result is a blend of Hazelnut that is half the sugar and half the fat of their full sugar/full fat. It tastes nearly identical to the full-fat/full-sugar version.

But back to the beans.... if Folger's has changed their beans, it's gone completely un-noticed by me.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 01:08:09 PM »
Could be they haven't changed anything because they've always mixed different beans including Robusta.  As long as you like it, that's a good thing.

The problem as I see it is very few of the coffee packagers list what kind/s of coffee beans is/are actually in their "100% coffee" containers.  When the Arabica disappeared off the shelves, I read every brand's mice-type and it just ain't there.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 01:25:23 PM »
Can't stand the bitterness and taste of coffee.  Having said that I am not opposed to those who enjoy it, so if they are getting less than what they should, well, that'd be upsetting.

Although I hate the taste, I remember grabbing some of those little cans of espresso when driving cross-country non-stop, I would force those suckers down.  Got jittery but stayed awake!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 03:53:13 PM »
You know - I didn't see it either until now  ::facepalm::

So my penitence is to reveal a little secret - coffee is one of my TEOTWAWKI barter items. I have accumulated several cases of it. And you want to know why? (of course you do ;-) (and this is the secret part) because I collect those little single pot packets.

Not instant coffee but coffee meant for drip brewers.

Years ago I grabbed one of the packets - you know the kind, they come in a Mylar bag that's impossible to tear open - to travel with because I love coffee and never knew what sort of battery acid I might encounter on the road. It turns out that same impenetrability keeps the coffee fresh - for decades. I have a case that I pull from every so often. It is over twenty years old now but the coffee tastes like it was ground yesterday.

So far not one has succumbed to leakage or contamination. No problem with humidity so you don't have to live in the desert to store them safely.

I do love my coffee!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 04:09:50 PM »
Are you talking about the kind that coffee-supply companies provide to businesses?

~~~~~~~~~

I wonder what else y'all are missing that has been posted on the board.  I suggest at least once a day, y'all might click on "Show unread posts since last visit."

charlesoakwood

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 04:18:42 PM »
Black, bitter and hot; mmmmmm.
                                                It's Folgers.  Hills Bros is good too, a little strong,
                                                better in the winter, you know, when it gets real
                                                cold, close to freezing for that extra boost.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 04:39:43 PM »
Gotta have my Community Dark Roast. Or Mello Joy. The wife complains MJ costs too much.

AS, where do you get your cases of coffee?
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 05:02:29 PM »
Are you talking about the kind that coffee-supply companies provide to businesses?

~~~~~~~~~

I wonder what else y'all are missing that has been posted on the board.  I suggest at least once a day, y'all might click on "Show unread posts since last visit."

Excellent idea, and if the world doesn't come to an end, more coffee.
Yes, where may one purchase those cases?

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 06:30:23 PM »
  I gotta get back to buying I'm doen to about a two month supply. But have no fear the sales are near.(and the coupons too).I need to keep six month worth in stock.

What with working abd taking care of the house it's getting tough to keep up but that doesn't mean I can't.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 08:20:47 PM »

~~~~~~~~~

I wonder what else y'all are missing that has been posted on the board.  I suggest at least once a day, y'all might click on "Show unread posts since last visit."

Yep. And yep - I try to check in at least once or twice a day. You can usually tell because I've done a post~n~run ;-)