Author Topic: Well, not to brag.......  (Read 2765 times)

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
Well, not to brag.......
« on: June 22, 2012, 06:28:54 PM »
But my brother and I went to lake wheeler in Alabama.......we saw, we fished and we kicked butt.

Topping our winning 17.69 lb stringer was a 5.70 I caught on a 10" worm. It is our 2nd win of the year. Winning once was great. Winning twice is unbelievable. We are officially on a roll. Next up in july is our home lake, old hickory.

Pics of our win should be up tomorrow at www.seniorbassanglers.com
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Well, not to brag.......
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 06:34:19 PM »
Congrats, Don; good for you.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 06:38:21 PM »
Don, you ARE the MasterBasser! You SHOULD brag!

May I ask how you rigged the worm?
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 06:44:14 PM »
He impaled it on a hook and told it to chant "here fishie fishie"?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 06:52:51 PM »

Well... that would be one technique.  ::saywhat::
I was thinking more along the lines of wacky, shaky-head, Texas, Carolina, etc...
 ::thinking::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 06:56:10 PM »

I was thinking more along the lines of wacky, shaky-head, Texas, Carolina, etc...

That one technique is my only.  Don't know about the rest, but I at least thought I'd get a "heh".

Youse peeps take yer fishin' serious like.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 07:02:35 PM »

That one technique is my only.  Don't know about the rest, but I at least thought I'd get a "heh".
Heh.  ::hysterical::

Like my tourney partner's son told me the other day, "It's a sport. If you don't plan on winning, why show up?"
 ::exitstageleft::

::thinking:: You really talk to worms Pan? I'll have to try that next time.  ::kissface::

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 07:05:11 PM »
I've taken to talking to all sorts of things lately ...

That could or could not mean something bad .....   ::unknowncomic::

charlesoakwood

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 07:06:52 PM »

Sauce or gravy?

Offline Miltrainer

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 07:10:09 PM »
Ohhhh, I'm so jealous!  ::cussing:: I still have 5 more weeks till my fishing trip.  ::bustamove::

You want the truth?....You can't handle the truth!

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 07:11:04 PM »
Ohhhh, I'm so jealous!  ::cussing:: I still have 5 more weeks till my fishing trip.  ::bustamove::

Where ya goin?

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 08:46:22 PM »
Don, you ARE the MasterBasser! You SHOULD brag!

May I ask how you rigged the worm?

Texas rig...1/2 oz tungsten pegged, 14 lb florocarbon on a 5.0 hook. Our practice was horrible. We found one small cut, a current break, and we sat on it for 5 hours. Fish moved in and out. There was a small hump and when they moved up on it they were feeding.

We were fortunate, but the bite was slow and we were barely crawling the worm. Caught two just dead sticking it. Most were fishing too fast.

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 09:23:31 PM »
Gratz PD!  ::thumbsup::
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 10:10:30 PM »
...the bite was slow and we were barely crawling the worm. Caught two just dead sticking it. Most were fishing too fast.

Did you figure this out some way other than just trying slow presentation until it worked? Part of my problem is patience. I'm a patient fisherman - sometimes accused of being too patient trying to pull more fish out of a spot that has already cooled off. But until I find fish, if I'm not covering water aggressively, I feel like I'm wasting time. I like to finesse fish a lot, but just letting a bait sit on the bottom and twitching it until I get hit isn't something that would occur to me unless there was reason to think it would work. I s'pose that's what pre-fishing is for!

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 10:31:16 PM »
...the bite was slow and we were barely crawling the worm. Caught two just dead sticking it. Most were fishing too fast.

Did you figure this out some way other than just trying slow presentation until it worked? Part of my problem is patience. I'm a patient fisherman - sometimes accused of being too patient trying to pull more fish out of a spot that has already cooled off. But until I find fish, if I'm not covering water aggressively, I feel like I'm wasting time. I like to finesse fish a lot, but just letting a bait sit on the bottom and twitching it until I get hit isn't something that would occur to me unless there was reason to think it would work. I s'pose that's what pre-fishing is for!

In our practice, we found several shell beds but few fish on them, and we threw everything. Wheeler main lake is an expansive piece of water and we were doing nothing on te humps or channel. On the larger water, you really couldn't detect current, so we moved up river and the current was more apparent in the river section. We were fishing eddys, but found one that hada high spot and we thought it should hold fish. Since we had no other spots, we sat and waited for fish to move in and out. One of the things we like to do in this situation is to throw a larger bait, instead of downsizing, because if you allow that larger worm to sit, with just enough current to allow the tail to quiver, we found the bass have a hard time leaving it alone. We were also using a particular brand ( Z Man) which float very well. Only the larger worm will float enough to interest fish. Once we detected a strike, we would dead stick it. Everyone around us were fishing small baits and the fish just were not interested....we tried.

Now, we broke off a bunch. Thats the problem dead sticking in current. I lost at least 6 (expensive) tungsten weights. Honestly, we were desperate. But we found an area and began using techniques that worked before.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 10:39:48 PM »
One other thing. My brother and I have become good at, literally, stopping and analyzing. When you believe you're around fish, it can be color, size, line, weight, etc.of course, the lowrsnce sides can allows us to scan areas.

We've had instances where we would be fishing the same bait, but a different hook color of sinker color. It can be that specific. This was one of those tournaments. Color and size were the ticket.

Offline EW1(SG)

• Who? Me?
    • EW1's Intercept Log
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2012, 06:25:24 AM »
Since the limit of my technique is the same as Pandora's ("Here, fishie, fishie!", and sometimes I even remember to put the bait in the water), I am awed by your prowess!  Congratulations on the win!
My doctor told me to start killing people.  Not in those exact words, she said I had to reduce the stress in my life.

Same thing.

Offline Miltrainer

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2012, 08:50:12 AM »

Where ya goin?

Dead Lake..  I plan on killing some Bass. I also have some lake shore land up there on a different lake.
You want the truth?....You can't handle the truth!

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2012, 11:00:26 AM »
Congrats Don, you are the fisherman!

And stick with your rigs, none of that worm-whisperer stuff, that just sounds weird!   ;D
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2012, 02:58:04 PM »

I have witnessed the conversation, actually. We generally call them Liberals, because we are trying to be polite, but the conversations do take place.
Heh.  ::hysterical::

Like my tourney partner's son told me the other day, "It's a sport. If you don't plan on winning, why show up?"
 ::exitstageleft::

::thinking:: You really talk to worms Pan? I'll have to try that next time.  ::kissface::

“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ