Author Topic: So, you believe the United States is open to legal immigration?  (Read 1303 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
This thread starter is not about illegal immigration, but legal immigration.  According to the best information I could find, we are allowing about one million people per year to emigrate here, not counting the asylum-seekers and the border-busters.

From The Locker Room, the blog portion of the John Locke Foundation:

And people wonder why soon there will be a permanent cruise ship off the coast of California. It will host entrepreneurs who want to be part of Silicon Valley but are without visas to start businesses and live in the United States. Click on the image for its full size.

As the quote states, a full-size, clickable image of the maze our law-makers have caused, by delegating their duty to an agency, can be clearly seen and understood.

If we're allowing a million + a year, the new immigrants have been waiting for some time to get their approvals.  I have to question why so many are allowed from the turd world, or who even have the resources to pursue permission.

Oh, and check out the "permanent cruise ship" for entrepeneurs link; it's quite interesting.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: So, you believe the United States is open to legal immigration?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 07:02:51 AM »
It also explains why the average immigrant enters illegally, why go through any hassle if willing politicians are willing to ignore the law and pass bills making you legal?  The game is stacked against desireable immigrants towards undesirable any way you look at it.

As far as the permanent cruise ship goes, perhaps they should name it the USS Indentured Servant?  Who cares how much they are paid, they are a captive labor force right, and probably taxed up tha wazoo.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline EW1(SG)

• Who? Me?
    • EW1's Intercept Log
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 08:38:34 AM »
Again, we see crony capitalism at work in immigration.

Currently one of the driving forces in immigration legislation and policy is the cost of skilled IT professionals...which developed countries need and underdeveloped countries can pump out millions of.  Much easier for a corporate exec to convince his congresscritter that he needs to import workers than to backtrack on the economy killing line of crap he has already convinced his congressman was necessary.

And not the only example.

Few of us get the chance to experience the immigration nightmare from the other side.  While stationed in Panama, I took the opportunity to shadow an immigration applicant through as much of the process as I could stand.  This was the daughter of a friend, with extended family already in the US, who herself had legally graduated from high school in Florida while visiting the US on visa, with an immigration application on file then.

The process of CHECKING on the status of her application involved standing in line outside an embassy leased building for several days (you return to the same spot in line that you were in the night before when the embassy shut its doors, during the day there were people making money by acting as markers for people who had to go to work), when you get close to the door, you get to get shoved around the Marine embassy guards (and yes, it is a UCMJ offense to strike a lesser NCO which is why I didn't).  And finally, when you make it into the building, you don't even get to talk to an American anyway...just somebody hired locally by the embassy to screen you.  And no, I didn't hit her either, but by that time I was spun up enough that I might have if I hadn't been hustled out of there.

So, what we have created is a monster.  I am far from being anti immigration, but there are several good reasons for limiting immigration to a rate where new immigrants can be settled in and assimilated into our culture:  The first being simply that people come here because America promises freedom and opportunity.  But we can't do that if immigrants escaping whatever sh*thole they come from establish little sh*tholes just like their motherland here.  And secondly, some of the illegal immigrants represent a threat to our national security...they aren't coming here to assimilate, but to destroy us.  And we can deal with that, so long as we don't let in too many at once.
My doctor told me to start killing people.  Not in those exact words, she said I had to reduce the stress in my life.

Same thing.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 08:46:24 AM »
I personally know an immigrant from Sweden. He came here with no plan for permanent immigration, and made the decision to stay once here. The process he had to go through to fulfill that decision was burdensome and intense with many setbacks, and with no assuredness as he was going through the process that it would be successful.

Some would argue that that is as it should be - it shouldn't be easy. I would say that if you're an educated person from frikkin Sweden, it SHOULD be easy, but that is a different matter. The point is, to make things this difficult for people who wish to legitimately go through the immigration process while flinging the door open and rolling the red carpet out for criminal illegal aliens is batsh*t insane.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 10:40:38 AM »
My daughter's Michigan friend has been dating her fiance for 5 years. He's in Canada and wishes to move here and marry her.  She traveled many times to visit him but because when crossing the border to Canada they don't stamp the passport she has no proof. Receipts (for airfare, gas, etc) aren't good enough to prove she went there. That was just the beginning of the trouble they've inflicted on this woman as she tries to help her fiance.  They tell her one thing and she tries to comply only to discover that it's not quite what they want.  She even had a U.S. Congressman write a letter tesifying that he knows both and has had dinner with them and that they are a couple and not engaging in fraud.  Their response?  That wasn't good enough!  She has no idea when the approval will be made but once they get it, they will have 90 days to get married.

Of course, the great irony will be that he will be 100 times more successful than the 800,000 that BO is giving a pass to.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 01:36:33 PM »
I have a friend from Germany who attempted that process as well.  He was told straight up that because Germany is considered an advanced non-oppressed country he didn't qualify for serious consideration.  This is a guy who speaks perfect English and has a MD.  You would think this is exactly the sort of immigrant we would want to come here, he would be an immediate asset to society as a medical doctor.  I guess instead what we really need are the modern equivalent of plantation labor, because 'muricans won't pick their own lettuce.

Here's another thing that is never mentioned.  In school you always studied certain waves of mass immigration, particularly the late 1800s and early 1900s when so many Eastern and Southern Europeans came here.  But in reality, those waves of immigration are less than what we're allowing right now.  The 1990s and 2000s saw more immigrants than those "classic" waves of immigration, and the sort of immigrants we get now aren't nearly as compatible with our baseline culture.  It's equal parts stupidity and treachery.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 01:53:41 PM »
Since 1965, the purpose for allowing immigration at all has been skewed from "what can they do for us?" to "what can we do for them?".  Because we are -- were -- a wealthy country, it has been imposed on us that our primary obligation is to the world's illiterate poor, as opposed to our welfare and that of our "posterity".

Some small amount of this ideology is due to the stupidity of the "tools"; the majority of it is treachery, and I say that because we have come far from '65, when the American people were assured immigration reforms would not permanently alter our demographics, to the present day, when discussing the harm done to us as a country results in calls of racist bigot.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 02:27:03 PM »
Ted Kennedy is the primary culprit in that.  May he rot in hell.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 02:31:37 PM »
Ted Kennedy is the primary culprit in that.  May he rot in hell.

I think that's him there...

Just my opinion, but I'd rather imagine him burning than rotting.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson