Author Topic: Heat Wave a comin'  (Read 4859 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Heat Wave a comin'
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2012, 11:54:40 AM »
Year ago.  Yup, take decades for every landscape to look normal again.  Reports were possible tornado with straight-line winds and hail.  Need a good name for it...but most of my ideas contain profane words.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2012, 12:03:59 PM »
I've never, ever heard anyone refer to these events as "derechos".  I just always thought they were called "storms".
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2012, 12:10:53 PM »
I've never, ever heard anyone refer to these events as "derechos".  I just always thought they were called "storms".

I'd never heard of "Real-feel" either (the temperature is "this", but FEELS like "this") before I started hearing it in NC last year.  ::snort::

Feeeeeeelings have invaded everything.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2012, 12:23:58 PM »
Year ago.  Yup, take decades for every landscape to look normal again.  Reports were possible tornado with straight-line winds and hail.  Need a good name for it...but most of my ideas contain profane words.

Hurricane Øbozo?

::evil::

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2012, 12:29:19 PM »

I'd never heard of "Real-feel" either (the temperature is "this", but FEELS like "this") before I started hearing it in NC last year.  ::snort::

I can't recall where I saw it now but the HPI (Happy Planet Index) just floored me. We're doomed...

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2012, 07:22:20 PM »

I can't recall where I saw it now but the HPI (Happy Planet Index) just floored me. We're doomed...

Nic Marcs...   ::)

Mothers keep your daughters away from this loser...

::exitstageleft::

http://www.happyplanetindex.org/

This zipperhead has the US ranked 105th of course, because we're capitalist...crony capitalist mostly, and that hasn't improved the score...

What a tool!

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2012, 05:23:11 PM »
Man, is it a hot one today!  Supposed to hit 100, my area is at 97 now.

Surface heat/feels like index -

http://vortex.plymouth.edu/

:P

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2013, 05:09:48 PM »

Welp, here ya go; I stumbled across this today:

Besides categorizing normal weather events as extreme, terms were created to increase the impression of abnormality. For example, the below map used by Alex Sosnowski, the so-called “expert senior meteorologist” at Accuweather, shows very high temperatures. But it is pure deception:

Most readers would naturally assume that actual air temperatures are being shown, but they are being tricked. Instead, a contrived measure called the “heat index” is displayed. Heat index, a statistic Sosnowski refers as the “RealFeel” temperature, is created by combining air temperature and relative humidity. It presumably reflects the capability of sweat to cool the body — but it ignores wind speed, which is a critical cooling agent that makes it seem less hot than it actually is. Of course, in the winter, media meteorologists always cite the “wind chill,” since that makes low temperatures seem even lower. Both heat index and wind chill are simply propaganda tools designed to make viewers think conditions are more extreme than they really are.

So, now we know who the stinkin' propagandist is who came up with that one.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2013, 10:37:15 PM »
people have gotten stupid about everything including the weather

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2013, 07:27:04 AM »
Ask the tool how hot it feels when I give him a hot-foot.  Then, see if anybody feels like caring. 

;D

See, it's easy to be a tool!

People are getting dumber, and lazier...Idiocracy taking root...   ::facepalm::

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2013, 09:21:07 AM »
You know what it takes to get that kind of heat index in St. Louis?  Normal July weather.  Temp in the 90's, dewpoint in the 70's.

Want to impress me?  Give me a day like we had here, 2 years ago.  Temperature of 96, Dewpoint of 84, equals a Heat index 120.  That impressed me.  Is it climate change, no.  It's more and morons (sorry if I offend some as a sometimes biker who gets tired of being squirted on by auto lawn sprinklers) shooting water up in the air, watering their lawns.  That really does add measurable humidity to the air in cities, as does crop watering do in the country.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2013, 02:59:34 PM »
It finally gets to be summer where I live and people are surprised and complain!

I wait a good part of the year so I can open my windows and people can't wait to turn on the AC.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2013, 08:36:33 PM »
Speaking of temperatures in the 90's, dewpoints in the 70's and a HI of 105ish...

Getting a little summer, finally, up here.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2013, 08:37:44 PM »
State Fair Effect?

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2013, 06:30:02 AM »
Or just a weather pattern shift.  After a cool summer, maybe this will hang on awhile, and we'll have a fall that lasts as long as winter lasted.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2013, 06:55:19 AM »
I'll take it!

Septober is my favorite time of the year...I just don't care much for what follows...

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2013, 08:36:08 AM »
I like a normal October.  65 in the day, 45 at night, and color in the air.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2013, 10:02:54 AM »
Is it hot yet?

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2013, 12:03:20 PM »
Hotter than a game of strip Spades, between SCoaMF and his body man.   ::mooning::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2013, 07:19:47 AM »
Hotter than Africa.  Seriously, I work in Da Hood, I heard one immigrant say to another "I gotta move back to Africa, man, it's hot!"...I just thought, "Yeah, I wouldn't stop ya, but neither of ya look serious about that movin' back part, Kwame!"...definite FreeShyter's, they ain't going anywhere...they love ObamaMerika.