Author Topic: Brave  (Read 574 times)

Offline BMG

• Established Member
Brave
« on: June 27, 2012, 09:30:17 AM »
LINK

Brave builds on Pixar’s previous accomplishments. The studio rewrote its animation software for the first time in 25 years to make this picture, providing a sumptuous feast for the eyes, along with some of the truest visual effects in animation. CGI water looks like actual water, animated fabric looks like fabric in real life. From the skin of a blueberry to a bear’s fur to Merida’s wild curls, objects’ textures leap off the screen. Many of the wide angle landscape shots look just like live action — the visuals left me speechless.

And here are some comments about Brave from the PJM posters:
AustinGirl:
My husband I went to see Brave this weekend and loved it. When I went to buy tickets, I overheard a mom and her two young daughters talking, as they left the theater. The mom asked her girls “So, what did we learn from that movie?”. Instantly, one of the girls responded “Listen to your mommy!”.
Brave is beautiful movie and a charming story, but my favorite part was definitely the emphasis on the important of family bonds. It was great seeing a family that worked together and a married couple that mutually adored each other, too.

Heather M.
We saw Brave yesterday afternoon and, since then, my four year old daughter has been drawing pictures of castles, wearing blanket capes, and tending to her stick horse, who has been re-named Angus. My husband and son are planning another archery day for our homeschooling group, and I am looking forward to purchasing the movie soundtrack. I can see that this is going to be our Scottish summer! Definitely my favorite Pixar release–absolutely beautiful.

CJ
I wouldn’t say it’s so much a case of male bashing as of focus. The main focus (and the main conflict) is the mother-daughter relationship. From Merida’s point of view, the men coming to win her hand are all going to be dolts because the whole thing was Mom’s idea. The male characters are all secondary, so not as much effort was put into their characterization. Merida’s father is the most developed male character, and while he can be clueless at times, Merida has a closer relationship with him than with her mother (at least, until the end of the movie).

Our family consensus (1 woman (me) and 3 guys) was 4.5 stars. Good, but a bit predictable and lacking the emotional punch of Up and Toy Story 3.

Harry K.:
No, it wasn’t laced with feminist dogma. There was a theme of girls getting to choose who’ll they marry, but it doesn’t even go as far as “The Fiddler on the Roof” did. The recurring themes in it are about reconciliation and family unity. There wasn’t any male bashing. There were great comedic moments with males, but it wasn’t derogatory. It was just a great movie with a great message. You’d really have to be a knee jerk anti feminist to find fault with it on those grounds.

I'm planing to take my eldest daughter to see this soon. Looks like it's going to be good and hopefully, with no progressive dogma attached. I'll do some more research first though - that progressive dogma is easily hidden in a movie after all. Anyone else hear anything about this film - and in particular, anything negative?
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Brave
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 09:59:43 AM »
MichelleO went to see it with the Kids. Her comment was that it was "tired".
She says imagine Nemo without Dory, or Shrek without Donkey.  The focus here just wasn't comedy, and what comedy exists is slapstick (Falling off ladders, Bare Butt and Cleavage jokes)

The men in the film are all idiots - including the King, as the Queen really runs things. But I suppose that isn't any different than watching any given commercial. (Funny how these strong women are so fragile that its assumed that they can't ever see a woman portrayed as stupid - even though I can certify there are both stupid men and stupid women) However, the movie wasn't about Men=Stupid, but the men are the primary slapstick players.