Author Topic: Near disaster averted, Thanks to devine providence  (Read 1721 times)

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
Near disaster averted, Thanks to devine providence
« on: July 02, 2012, 04:24:28 PM »

This was my shop's yard. The first is as I approached and you can see the orange dumpster in the background with all the small debris on the driveway. The second is damage to the privacy fence. The third is one there the tree was deflected from the ladder and rack(T.G I have a heavy duty 40 ft'er
and fourth is the mess after clearing some of the driveway so that I could get back to the garage to snap the picture.

Loss of the van(just got 9 months ago from friend) would have been devastating The dumpster deflected the other tree which had been snapped half way up the trunk. All this from the neighbor's wood part of his lot. The older and larger trees withstood the brunt without destroying the garage and nearby equipment.
 ::praying::

Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Near disaster averted, Thanks to devine providence
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 04:29:40 PM »
What knocked the tree over? Storm? Thank God it wasn't worse!
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 04:30:04 PM »
Looks like a mess. Glad that it wasn't any worse than that warpmine!

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 04:37:10 PM »
Yeah I've seen enough twisted timber to last me a lifetime...glad you came out as good as you did, somebody up there is keeping an eye out for you!

::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 04:54:09 PM »

Glad you and yours are safe.  Hey, looks like you've got a start
on some wood for this winter too.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 05:10:13 PM »

Glad you and yours are safe.  Hey, looks like you've got a start
on some wood for this winter too.

I don't burn wood only because never got a stove but the neighbor does and most of it is his. This guy writes software for the defense department and can give you some insight of how wasteful they are.

We were lucky considering it didn't damage the trailer or the Bobcat Skidsteer. I have a customer working at a camp in upstate NY and the tree in back yard got knocked over, falling on chain link/gate and along side his house. This was a very large tree. Needs new gutter, and a hole repaired in roof from branch which is all superficial damage when you consider the proximity 6 feet from house.  He had a trampoline blow over his fence across the street over his father's car (lives across street) and onto his father's neighbor's fence. Simply unbelievable the damage is.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 07:25:05 PM »
I know exactly what your facing man, get the firehose jeans on and fire up the chain saw.

Have the flock of contractors and their suddenly large rates descended upon you all yet?  If not, they will.  Try to work with neighbors to see if you can bring the cutting & hauling rates down.

Same goes for the repair work.

Prayers go out to you all!   ::praying::

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 07:54:07 PM »
I know exactly what your facing man, get the firehose jeans on and fire up the chain saw.

Have the flock of contractors and their suddenly large rates descended upon you all yet?  If not, they will.  Try to work with neighbors to see if you can bring the cutting & hauling rates down.

Same goes for the repair work.

Prayers go out to you all!   ::praying::
Thanks  Libertas. Truth be told, we're more than able to repair and clean up. I just had to endure the sweltering conditions and put some back into it. With the Bobcat holding the trunks I fired up the 23 y.o.
McCulloch chainsaw. Had a fuel problem, yanked it apart, clean carb and reassembled. Good as new.
How's everyone holding up in the  latest episode of global warming?

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 08:35:00 PM »
We have a 22,000 acre fire burning within ten miles of us...woo, hoo!

We actually got some rain today for the first time this year. Not enough to put the fires out but enough to slow them down a bit.

The smoke is bad. The air gets cold at night and brings the smoke down to the ground where it stays until the air warms up mid-morning (although some people who live in certain valleys have the smoke stay around until early afternoon). If you don't have air conditioning (and most people around here have never felt the need...until now) you are screwed. The smoke coming down at night means that you have to close your windows or choke on it. And then the extremely well insulated homes get uncomfortably hot due to internal heat sources (or external if you can't open windows and doors until afternoon). Some homes I have heard of getting well into the 90's. I have air conditioning...have had it since 2002.

The fires in our area are largely inaccessible. They could be accessed if President Dumbass had spent a fraction of a percent of his stimulus money on firefighting planes. My understanding is that the company that built those planes went out of business waiting for federal contracts that never came in 2009. My understanding is also that the entire country has less than ten of these planes where we used to have close to fifty. We have had one helicopter working on our fire towing a tiny bucket back and forth from a nearby lake to the fire.

So we wait for rain.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 12:14:54 AM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 09:36:43 PM »

Thought about not hearing from you today, glad you are OK.

Yes, and President Dumbass, last I heard, has grounded
them all because one crashed.  Safety, you know.

Offline EW1(SG)

• Who? Me?
    • EW1's Intercept Log
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 09:47:40 PM »
Glad to hear everyone is okay.  Power out here for a day, and the dill weeds are bent out of shape, but otherwise okay.  Sadly, missed the storm itself, being in Atlanta at the time.
My doctor told me to start killing people.  Not in those exact words, she said I had to reduce the stress in my life.

Same thing.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 10:30:56 PM »
Hotter than heck today, expected to stay so thru Thursday.  Duluth area has a storm heading their way and they still haven't cleaned up after their flood and backed up sewers.  Those people face a tax hike of Obamian proportions to repair their infrastructure.  But they're all good liberal tax lovers there, so I'm sure they are pleased as punch.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 10:58:17 PM »

Oh yeah, I'm fine. Work is keeping me busy. Work/work (and glad to have it in these stupid times) and work at home...I have to get the things around the house done when there isn't snow on the ground. I have a roof to repair and there is a big interior remodel underway...house is approaching twenty and these things mount up.

Thanks for caring.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 12:15:59 AM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 12:56:06 AM »

Yes, and President Dumbass, last I heard, has grounded
them all because one crashed.  Safety, you know.

The one that crashed is a NC National Guard C-130, the pilot was killed. Not sure what happened to it.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 11:35:14 AM »