Author Topic: Pride is a problem  (Read 721 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Re: Pride is a problem
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 05:11:30 PM »
I would characterize it as more "self respect" than "pride."
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 05:53:36 PM »
These people by their very nature are disgusting. I cannot wait until it all comes crashing down....but how the hell is that going to happen when they continue to deal out the goodies. One thing for sure, it will come faster as they spen more and more as the wealthier decide to pick up and high tail it to another land. ::laserkill::
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 07:39:31 PM »
I would characterize it as more "self respect" than "pride."

It is self respect as well.

Once upon a time, many prided themselves on their self-reliance, from which springs self-respect.

One in seven Americans are on food stamps, but the government is pushing to enroll more — in many instances working to overcome Americans’ “pride,” self-reliance or failure to see a need.

“Our common goal is to increase participation in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program,” the United States Department of Agriculture explains on its “Outreach Toolkits” page. “Our purpose is to ensure that those going through difficult times can feed their families healthy, nutritious food. By working as a team, we can accomplish these goals.”

The USDA has adopted a range of strategies and programs designed to bring more people to SNAP, including taking on “pride.” A 2011 Hunger Champions Award document reveals that local assistance offices have been rewarded for “counteracting” pride and pushing more people to sign up for benefits.

The Ashe County Department of Social Services in Jefferson, N.C., for example, received a “Gold” award for confronting “mountain pride” and increasing food stamp participation by 10 percent.

Damn these people.  This is just downright evil, I swear.

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 12:02:14 AM »
Reading further ....

“SNAP is an investment in our future. It offers nutrition benefits to participating clients, supports work, and provides economic benefits to communities,” USDA explains on one of its outreach pages. “However, too many low-income people who are eligible for the program do not participate and thus forgo nutrition assistance that could stretch their food dollars at the grocery store. Their communities lose out on the benefits provided by new SNAP dollars flowing into local economies.”

So.  Now it's a duty and responsibility to "the community" to "participate".

I HATE these people!
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 12:15:55 AM »
The personal stories of fathers/mothers, grandfathers/grandmothers, and great-grandfathers/grandmothers who struggled through the Depression refusing to accept handouts and resolving to make ends meet are myriad.

These Leftist pukes don't deserve the dignity of being trampled under the boots of such men and women.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 03:58:52 AM »
More of the "good for the economy" nonsense. It's like filling a bucket in the deep end of the pool and pouring it into the shallow end, claiming to have provided a stimulus of water to the shallow part of the pool. Except you spill half of the bucket during the trip, part of the cost of transport.

There's also something telling in their use of the word "client". They probably think it is less stigmatic and demeaning to refer to welfare recipients as "clients", but it also reveals their mindset. They want the entire population to be reduced to the status of clients of the state.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 06:23:41 AM »
In its own way Government has become the equivalent of Drug Pushers ... get 'em hooked and keep 'em that way !

Offline EW1(SG)

• Who? Me?
    • EW1's Intercept Log
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 08:06:00 AM »
In its own way Government has become the equivalent of Drug Pushers ... get 'em hooked and keep 'em that way !

Exactly so.

ETA:  A lot of gubmint drug "rehab" programs are ineffective precisely because they perpetuate the "client" model mentioned by Glock32 above.
My doctor told me to start killing people.  Not in those exact words, she said I had to reduce the stress in my life.

Same thing.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 11:22:47 AM »

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Client_state

Client state is one of several phrases used to describe the economic, political and/or military subordination of one state to a more powerful state

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 12:18:32 PM »
More of the "good for the economy" nonsense. It's like filling a bucket in the deep end of the pool and pouring it into the shallow end, claiming to have provided a stimulus of water to the shallow part of the pool. Except you spill half of the bucket during the trip, part of the cost of transport.

There's also something telling in their use of the word "client". They probably think it is less stigmatic and demeaning to refer to welfare recipients as "clients", but it also reveals their mindset. They want the entire population to be reduced to the status of clients of the state.
How about using the word patient and it would be much more appropriate.
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 02:12:26 PM »
Stamping out individualism has always been a central hallmark of Marxists, why so many fail to see that and recoil in horror sickens me, meek acceptance is the undeniable sign that the Marxists are winning.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.