Author Topic: Texas Deploys Gunboats on Rio Grande River  (Read 3107 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Texas Deploys Gunboats on Rio Grande River
« on: July 03, 2012, 07:23:02 PM »
Finally, a policy that makes sense. Here is the link to a FNC story about the Texas Department of Public Safety (what other states call the Highway Patrol) and their new fleet of four boats.

Video at the link.

Four new “shallow water interceptors” are now patrolling the river, and two others will be commissioned soon. Those will be responsible for guarding the intercoastal waterway, where cops are seeing a spike in smuggling activity through the Gulf of Mexico.

These gunboats are outfitted with bullet-proof panels, fully automatic machine guns and 900-horsepower engines. Their ability to cruise through the water at fast speeds is designed to not only serve as an intimidating force on the water, but also to fight back.

The only problem that I see with these boats is not enough armor. I would want a fully armored hull (protecting the engines, too) and a lot more shielding for the deck area to provide proper cover for the DPS guys. Other than that, though, they look like a great way to kill bad guys.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: Texas Deploys Gunboats on Rio Grande River
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 07:29:12 PM »
The problem with armor is the weight, which would give the boat a deeper draft. These look pretty similar to the Navy's PBRs from the Vietnam era. I wonder how long before Fed.Gov sues Texas for this? After all, they might accidentally interdict an illegal immigrant or two.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 07:35:44 PM »

Looks like twin BMGs in the armory, that's some serious interdicting.

Offline EW1(SG)

• Who? Me?
    • EW1's Intercept Log
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 09:20:57 PM »
They look pretty much like the modern CG/USN interdiction boats used for harbor security and the like.

Best PBR EVAH! [was] SBU 26's MkIVs in the Panama Canal, 40 foot aluminum hulled twin MONSTER engines (12 cylinder diesels, IIRC), Mk 19 40 mm grenade launchers, .50s, lotsa firepower hanging off the squids in the form of M16s and M203s.  Watched a Chief Boatswain walked one sideways across a lock in the canal, this guy never went more than 4-6 inches fore and aft to do it.

ETA:  I wasn't really looking close at the picture when I found it on the web:  the boat behind the Mk IV is a USCG 110' Island class patrol boat.  Took me a long time to identify it, because I was unaware that any had been in the Ditch at the same time as the Mk IVs.  The fastest transit that I ever made of the Panama Canal was while seated at the crosstree (just to the left of the helmeted sailor in the photo seated on top of the Mk IVs cabin) and repairing the AB-1248/U radar antenna pedestal there.  (The antenna is end on in this picture.)  Transit time was just over 40 minutes.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 10:03:08 PM by EW1(SG) »
My doctor told me to start killing people.  Not in those exact words, she said I had to reduce the stress in my life.

Same thing.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 06:32:13 AM »
I'd like to get me one of them !  ::danceban:: ::bustamove::

Offline EW1(SG)

• Who? Me?
    • EW1's Intercept Log
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 08:04:58 AM »

You and me both!
My doctor told me to start killing people.  Not in those exact words, she said I had to reduce the stress in my life.

Same thing.

Offline Miltrainer

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 08:34:33 AM »
Imagine thie types of skiing tubing and fishing you could do. Other fishing boats might give you a wide birth!!! ::hysterical::
You want the truth?....You can't handle the truth!

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 10:58:15 AM »
Imagine thie types of skiing tubing and fishing you could do. Other fishing boats might give you a wide birth!!! ::hysterical::

I imagine they're doin' some of that too !

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 03:13:49 PM »
Whoa!  I want one too!   ::whoohoo::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline EW1(SG)

• Who? Me?
    • EW1's Intercept Log
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 05:38:55 PM »
Sadly, the Mark IVs of SBU 26 were replaced with the more general purpose Mark Vs, still in use today.  The Mark IVs were only ever really used in the Panama Canal.

Same thing.