Author Topic: The Higgs Boson "God" Particle.  (Read 1829 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
The Higgs Boson "God" Particle.
« on: July 04, 2012, 04:05:38 PM »
Perhaps this is why the weather and other natural events are so intense lately...mad scientists meddling with forces they do not understand and cannot control?

::whatgives::

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/higgs-boson-rumors-fly-god-particle-announcement-cern/story?id=15124806#.T_SkR5H-VeR
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: The Higgs Boson "God" Particle.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 04:19:55 PM »
It takes a very special mind to even comprehend quantum physics. I gather this is the subatomic particle, whose existence has been long speculated, that is responsible for giving matter mass.  Things really get bizarre on that level of physics, like particles that are able to occupy the same space at the same time, it's freakish.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 05:19:37 PM »
They have a ways to go before they can say for certain it has been discovered, but they think they are on the right track.  Quantum mechanics since it deals with the incredibly small makes it difficult to prove the existence let alone the behavior of subatomic particles, until technology is created to measure these little critters its hard to make conclusions.

It is ironic that something so massive has to be built to create and track the exceedingly small.

And I always worry the good intentions of the scientists might go terribly wrong.  I mean if splitting the atom can release tremendous amounts of destructive energy what could be lurking in the subatomic world once we start meddling with it?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 07:21:33 AM »
Now they say they found it, even though they cannot tell what kind of one it is...

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20130314/DA50QHOG1.html

::saywhat::

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 04:51:23 PM »

And I always worry the good intentions of the scientists might go terribly wrong.  I mean if splitting the atom can release tremendous amounts of destructive energy what could be lurking in the subatomic world once we start meddling with it?

One real fear is that they could create a Black Hole or what they call a Singularity.  If this were to occur it would potentially be the end of the world (and not just "as we know it" but literally the end).
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 06:41:42 AM »
I hope we at least have Porky Pig announcing "That's all folks"!