Author Topic: Ribs  (Read 2170 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Ribs
« on: July 04, 2012, 09:29:56 PM »
I cooked spare ribs today for the holiday. Not that we are really celebrating "independence" or anything but I'm always looking for an excuse to barbecue. I used this recipe and it was pretty good.

As crappy as this year's Fourth of July was due to weasel behavior by the SCOTUS Chief Justice it can have a bit of the good times returned with massive amounts of good food.

The desert that mrs. trapeze worked up was pretty good, too: Angel Food cake with ice cream, blueberries, strawberries and whipped cream...a red, white and blue desert.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

charlesoakwood

Re: Ribs
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 09:36:32 PM »

Sometime back you gave a regional breakdown of the different
styles of cooking barbecue, it was a delicious review.  The Lockwood
Inn burned down a few years back, but that's OK, the kids were
serving junk.  I wish I had the recipe for their sauce.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 11:20:37 PM »
I cooked spare ribs today for the holiday. Not that we are really celebrating "independence" or anything but I'm always looking for an excuse to barbecue. I used this recipe and it was pretty good.

As crappy as this year's Fourth of July was due to weasel behavior by the SCOTUS Chief Justice it can have a bit of the good times returned with massive amounts of good food.

The desert that mrs. trapeze worked up was pretty good, too: Angel Food cake with ice cream, blueberries, strawberries and whipped cream...a red, white and blue desert.

So, you've got a smoker then?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 11:50:22 PM »
I don't but I set the temp of my gas grill down low and dumped in a generous amount of water soaked mesquite chips. It worked quite nicely with the rotisserie for the first two hours. I then wrapped them in foil with the apple juice for the next two hours. The meat was almost falling off the bones when I unwrapped them, set them on the grill and painted them with barbecue sauce for the final ten minutes.

It worked so well that I think I am going to try it out with a brisket next. I like ribs but brisket is the ultimate in smoked barbecue.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 11:57:03 PM »

Sometime back you gave a regional breakdown of the different
styles of cooking barbecue, it was a delicious review.  The Lockwood
Inn burned down a few years back, but that's OK, the kids were
serving junk.  I wish I had the recipe for their sauce.

My current favorite sauce can be ordered from this site. I'm going to have to order some up soon because I used most of what I had on hand today.

BTW...this is a deal at $65 if it comes in at a full 7 pounds. Mouth waters just looking at it.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 12:00:37 AM by trapeze »

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 11:59:13 PM »
I don't but I set the temp of my gas grill down low and dumped in a generous amount of water soaked mesquite chips. It worked quite nicely with the rotisserie for the first two hours. I then wrapped them in foil with the apple juice for the next two hours. The meat was almost falling off the bones when I unwrapped them, set them on the grill and painted them with barbecue sauce for the final ten minutes.

It worked so well that I think I am going to try it out with a brisket next. I like ribs but brisket is the ultimate in smoked barbecue.

I just felt a hunger pang .......
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 11:24:55 AM »
Mmmm, ribs!   ::danceban::

I like a sweet smokey sauce.  Whatever style that is...   ::whatgives::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 12:23:13 PM »
The dessert sounds like a classic...something my mom would have made when I was a kid and we would have eaten the whole thing!
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."