Author Topic: Troops In Door To Door “Wellness Checks” In Virginia, Ohio  (Read 1511 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Drones OVER the US and walking around IN the US ...

National Guard troops are conducting door to door “wellness checks” in areas of Virginia and Ohio following power outages due to severe heat and storms.

WDTV in West Virginia reports that “The National Guard is checking to make sure everyone is doing well.”

The report also states that some guardsmen have been instructed to go to people’s homes and carry out “personal health checks”.

“Since thousands were out of power in Harrison County and there’s been times the 911 center was down, the National Guard was going from house to house in places like Lost Creek, West Milford and Johnstown to see how everyone was holding up and getting them the help they may need.” the report states.

In Ohio, the Mansfield News Journal reports that “some 200 Guard troops were launching door-to-door checks in the Columbus area and the Dayton area…”, and that they could be sent to other areas.

“They were initially focusing on retirement communities and other neighborhoods with large numbers of older people to make sure they have access to water and medications and know that air-conditioned cooling centers were available.” the report continues.

A state of emergency has been declared in both states, with the president also directing FEMA to coordinate federal assistance to state and local officials in impacted areas.

Some have expressed concern that troops are being deployed to do door to door checks with little announcement of the fact.

Despite the constitutional protections outlined in the Posse Comitatus Act and the Insurrection Act, there has been and is an ongoing push to blur the divisions between military and domestic law enforcement officials.

That's the pic used, but without verification that it is of the troops in Ohio and/or if they were doing the house-to-house checks armed.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: Troops In Door To Door “Wellness Checks” In Virginia, Ohio
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 03:09:56 PM »
Funny - last winter we had power out for over a week in sub-freezing temperatures over the entire region (800k+ no power) and no one sent out the boyz to check on lil ol me...

(maybe they knew I'd sent 'em packing)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 04:05:05 PM »
I can't say for sure, but that picture looks to me exactly like the picture that was posted a few months ago of the NG troops that were doing exercises in some residential neighborhood.

Based on this article, I don't know whether it is alarm-worthy or not. Are these troops doing this at the direction of the federal government, or their state governors? Are they armed?

National Guard are often used in situations that require a fast deployment of personnel when the numbers of needed personnel exceed the available law enforcement or volunteers.

Some have expressed concern that troops are being deployed to do door to door checks with little announcement of the fact.

Despite the constitutional protections outlined in the Posse Comitatus Act and the Insurrection Act, there has been and is an ongoing push to blur the divisions between military and domestic law enforcement officials.

My suspicion runs deep, but I can't make a judgment here based on the information available.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 04:29:50 PM »
Yes. The troops in that picture are armed. Or at least one is - but I would venture to say that if one soldier is allowed to carry their weapon then they all were. The military doesn't order only one soldier to carry their weapon - it's either all or none. I can clearly see the lower half of an M16 being carried by the last (closest to the photographer but last in the group) soldier on the right.

However, I have been ordered to carry my weapon and NOT the ammo before. And of course, you can not tell whether those soldiers are carrying ammo in this picture or not.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 04:33:13 PM by BMG »
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

charlesoakwood

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 04:41:45 PM »

For sure, but it doesn't clear up whether that is a picture from Ohio.
And if it's not a picture from Ohio whether they were carrying weapons
in Ohio.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 04:59:18 PM »
Right, I see the weapon in that picture, but as I said, I'm reasonably sure that photo is old - not specifically pertaining to the text of this article.
Either that, or I'm having intense deja vu.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 05:10:16 PM »
I did a TinyEye search of that photo and came up with a Prison Planet address ( http://static.prisonplanet.com/p/images/may2012/010512patrol.jpg )- though no corresponding story, just the photo. I guess the photo originated on that site? Maybe if you dug through the site's archived stories you'd find a story to match the photo.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

- Tacitus

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 05:54:44 PM »
...and I'm certainly not saying that we shouldn't be alarmed at NG troops walking the streets under supposedly benevolent pretenses. I'm just saying that in order for me to have an opinion about this particular situation, I need more information.

I've seen National Guard troops combing the woods for lost children too. Take away that photograph that is causing me to question, and that's essentially what we have here.

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 06:58:06 PM »
I did a TinyEye search of that photo and came up with a Prison Planet address ( http://static.prisonplanet.com/p/images/may2012/010512patrol.jpg )- though no corresponding story, just the photo. I guess the photo originated on that site? Maybe if you dug through the site's archived stories you'd find a story to match the photo.

If you'd clicked quote on my post, you'd have seen the url of the pic is right there.  Yes, it's from prisonplanet.com and it's right there with the article I posted.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 08:18:38 PM »

Yup, May 2012.

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 08:55:41 PM »
If you'd clicked quote on my post, you'd have seen the url of the pic is right there.  Yes, it's from prisonplanet.com and it's right there with the article I posted.

Ah, ok then. Sorry.

The link took me to theintelhub.com. But now that I've scrolled to the bottom of the article and looked at the short bio for the author, Steve Watson, I see that he is a London based writer and editor for Alex Jones’ Infowars.com, and Prisonplanet.com.

I missed that previously.
- Patrick Henry

- Tacitus

charlesoakwood

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 09:18:31 PM »

So, then, the photo is a file photo and bears no direct
association to the article other than it is a picture of
military men walking in a street.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 09:29:21 PM »

So, then, the photo is a file photo and bears no direct
association to the article other than it is a picture of
military men walking in a street.

Dunno.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 09:29:25 PM »
You can tell by the leaves on the trees that it's not from June/July.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 09:33:16 PM »
If you'd clicked quote on my post, you'd have seen the url of the pic is right there.  Yes, it's from prisonplanet.com and it's right there with the article I posted.

Ah, ok then. Sorry.

The link took me to theintelhub.com. But now that I've scrolled to the bottom of the article and looked at the short bio for the author, Steve Watson, I see that he is a London based writer and editor for Alex Jones’ Infowars.com, and Prisonplanet.com.

I missed that previously.

'S okay, BMG.  All I was really trying to point out was that I'm usually very good about sourcing my stuff.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2012, 09:33:41 PM »
My suspicion runs deep, but I can't make a judgment here based on the information available.

I agree. I'm normally paranoid about ANYTHING the government does, but I'd like a little more reliable source.

However, I have been ordered to carry my weapon and NOT the ammo before. And of course, you can not tell whether those soldiers are carrying ammo in this picture or not.

WTF?? So they had you using it as a club?
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2012, 09:40:53 PM »
I am not really sure what to think about this story. Yes, it does ring some of the usual alarm bells. But it also seems reasonable if you consider there's the combination of elderly people in retirement communities, where the power is out and 911 not working, and record high triple digit temperatures for several days in a row. It's a not unreasonable assumption that there might be people having medical emergencies but are unable to reach anyone.

But I also know in the new "this is the country we live in now" reality, nothing occurs without some nefarious ulterior motive from the Regime, in this instance desensitizing the public to military personnel in domestic, civic authority roles. Remember the story from St. Louis a few weeks ago?
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2012, 10:22:35 PM »
WTF?? So they had you using it as a club?

In the cases where we were issued weapons and no ammo, it was during training exercises. Sometimes the higher-ups just want you to lug around the weapon for the sake of lugging it around, even though they don't go through the motions of issuing ammo.

I remember one occasion where our unit was conducting roadblock and search (external - for IEDs) training over the course of a week. We were completely contained on a military base and we were stopping traffic, etc (mostly military but there were some civilians mixed in as well). During that exercise we were issued weapons and no ammo. We were told to insert empty magazines. So I guess the higher-ups figured we weren't going to have any issues anyway and if we did, then yeah - guess we had to use them as clubs.

I also remember once; my unit having all our ammo confiscated by civilians. Our C-130 had broken down and the Army chartered a civilian aircraft to get us where we were supposed to be. The civilians at the airport made our commander collect all our ammo and presumably store it elsewhere about the plane. Not that that is any big deal - I understand the rationale there.

We sure did get some strange looks from the civilian passengers waiting to get on their planes though! An entire unit tromping through the airport in all our combat gear and weapons while en-route to our special 'holding area' where we waited to get on the civilian plane.

Anyway, just adding this last story in for additional information - oh, and this all took place in the mid-90's with the Army.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 10:48:04 PM by BMG »
- Patrick Henry

- Tacitus